Thai Airways to boost international flights

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai Airways International (THAI) has unveiled an ambitious plan to expand its international flight offerings in the forthcoming high season. The airline’s primary focus is to draw in a higher number of tourists.

A notable feature of this expansion is the airline’s decision to recommence flights to Istanbul, Turkey, which is a significant aviation hub for Asia, Europe, and Africa.

This service was previously suspended in 1994. Chai Eamsiri, the CEO of THAI, revealed that this decision was taken following the signing of a memorandum of understanding with Turkish Airlines in August.

From December, THAI will operate a daily flight to Istanbul. The Airbus A350-900 will serve Flight TG900, departing from Suvarnabhumi Airport at 11.45pm and touching down in Istanbul at 6.05am local time.

“Next, THAI will launch new flights to Oslo in Norway, Milan in Italy, and Sydney and Perth in Australia,” Chai announced.

by Mitch Connor 

Photo: Martin Baertges, Flickr

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, findlay13 said:

"The airline’s primary focus is to draw in a higher number of tourists."  What genius figured that one out?

Sydney and Perth? No Brisbane Again. Bye Bye Thai.

Brisbane - err where's that  ????

• Haha 1

I don't trust Thai Airways. I haven't flown on them for many years now and don't intend to ever again. I wonder about their maintenance programs and whether they are rigorous. At my time of life, each is precious and I worry that a perennially close to bankrupt airline, will maintain their planes meticulously. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JackGats said:

Never mind how many new flights, seats will never be available when you want to redeem miles.

That's contrary to my experience with Thai Airways. They have always had availability for the many times I've used ROP Gold 50% mileage redemptions and Gold Award upgrades since 2017. Just booked for end of October to mid April 2024 and was able to use upgrade award on LHR/BKK/LHR. Only issues are that qualifying ticket prices and the extra taxes and fees for the upgrades or redemptions are so much higher than pre-pandemic.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Marley01 said:

What a load of croc. I have contacted Thai about when they would recommence flights to Perth and told bluntly, we have no intention of this flight anymore as they don’t have the planes

Plenty parked up doing nothing for years at BKK! 

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I recently flew Thai Business Class BKK-DEL.

The plane was a 777-200ER, but very old and not modernized at all. So, it was 1990s vintage Business Class, basically Premium Economy by today's standards. The in-flight entertainment system failed repeatedly.

FlightRadar24 did a pretty damning YouTube report on the standard of Thai business class to one of the Scandinavian destinations (must be CPH). That was an A350 as well, so not an old aircraft - interior already looked worn out. 

EVA is a much better option from Europe to BKK in all classes.  

Edited by MarkyM3

7 hours ago, 2baht said:

Work on your exorbitant airfares!!! I would'nt even consider flying Thai!

Unfortunately, THAI, has to keep prices high to cover the cost of all government employees and their families flying free.   Used to be a great airline.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 747man said:

Well it IS The Cheapest NON Stop service to London So why Not ??

I flew BK to Heathrow 10 days ago . One way was 340 pounds . It was 1 hour late leaving Suvarnabhumi airport and 30 minutes late in London .  Shame really because the service in economy was excellent i.e. 3 hot good meals and plenty of drinks ( I even got a beer before take off in the galley at the rear of the plane ) . Flight attendants were eager to help . The toilets were always clean . Snacks available between meals . I could not fault the in flight service , plenty of movies  and about 200 pounds cheaper than Eva Air . Thai Airways are my preferred way to fly UK / Thailand

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/27/2023 at 2:54 PM, superal said:

I flew BK to Heathrow 10 days ago . One way was 340 pounds . It was 1 hour late leaving Suvarnabhumi airport and 30 minutes late in London .  Shame really because the service in economy was excellent i.e. 3 hot good meals and plenty of drinks ( I even got a beer before take off in the galley at the rear of the plane ) . Flight attendants were eager to help . The toilets were always clean . Snacks available between meals . I could not fault the in flight service , plenty of movies  and about 200 pounds cheaper than Eva Air . Thai Airways are my preferred way to fly UK / Thailand

I flew LHR to Bkk last year cost me £800 plus rtn shocking Cabin staff hardly moved out of their Galley and closed the curtain had to constantly press call button to someone for service. I live in the North of England so i had to travel down before my flight the day before and stay overnight in a hotel prob best part of £300 before my flight because Thai only use Heathrow.

On 9/27/2023 at 9:37 AM, findlay13 said:

"The airline’s primary focus is to draw in a higher number of tourists."  What genius figured that one out?

Sydney and Perth? No Brisbane Again. Bye Bye Thai.

With real airlines most of the profit comes from expensive business and first class trips across the Pacific and Atlantic, not from tourists who barely pay for the fuel.

On 9/27/2023 at 4:09 AM, retarius said:

I don't trust Thai Airways. I haven't flown on them for many years now and don't intend to ever again. I wonder about their maintenance programs and whether they are rigorous. At my time of life, each is precious and I worry that a perennially close to bankrupt airline, will maintain their planes meticulously. 

You would be right to. The us has banned them and the eu was asking though questions on this subject. Airlines in trouble always cut corners