Thailand In Ten Years

canuckamuck

There's no way the world can stop the machine, called China (or India for that matter), anymore.

That's pure hyperbole.

Even though both China and India have impressive numbers of economical rise, they both have huge problems as well. This China hyperbole reminds me very much of the blind believe in the Tiger states of the '90s. According to those predictions Thailand would be now part of the next economical world power, and not in the mess it is now. China does ail from a bubble economy, has no freedom of thought and speech, a completely insufficient legal system, large areas where the economical rise did not reach, and increasing social tensions.

India has more chances in my opinion to one day in the distant future reach developed status, due to their more sound policies, and general higher educational level, better legal protection, freedom of speech, and far better manufacturing and service sectors. But still, there are decades before the many problems might be solved.

This hyperbole does nobody any service, especially not the countries involved.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more impressed by the non-native English speaker who calls himself Colpyat in the recent comments here; at least he knows not to insert an apostrophe in the pronoun its. Antic pedantic ant, that's me. :o More to the point, I would only be impressed with one billion impoverished peasants if warfare were still fought by infantrymen armed with pitchforks. Indeed, India is more of an economic force to deal with in the next ten years, and they can read a Roman alphabet. However, subcontinental Indians aren't scheduled to overtake Thailand in ten years, either.

We have a tropical climate, water, land, rice, and lots of workers here. Thailand has a future even if it's not as some kind of tiger. Not a buffalo, either.

We have a tropical climate, water, land, rice, and lots of workers here. Thailand has a future even if it's not as some kind of tiger. Not a buffalo, either.

I do believe that Thailand has a future. Unfortunately though that future will be preceded by large social upheavals and conflicts within society, before a long overdue modernization of a dysfunctional system will take place.

Mozilla spell checker does help... :o

There's no way the world can stop the machine, called China (or India for that matter), anymore.

That's pure hyperbole.

Even though both China and India have impressive numbers of economical rise, they both have huge problems as well. This China hyperbole reminds me very much of the blind believe in the Tiger states of the '90s. According to those predictions Thailand would be now part of the next economical world power, and not in the mess it is now. China does ail from a bubble economy, has no freedom of thought and speech, a completely insufficient legal system, large areas where the economical rise did not reach, and increasing social tensions.

India has more chances in my opinion to one day in the distant future reach developed status, due to their more sound policies, and general higher educational level, better legal protection, freedom of speech, and far better manufacturing and service sectors. But still, there are decades before the many problems might be solved.

Would you accept: There's [almost] no way.... :o

Seriously though. I fully agree that China and India still have huge problems to overcome. That's no surprise though if you look at the enormous populations and it's histories. There are no other countries in the world with similar huge populations and problems and both countries couldn't even be compared as India was an occupied country for centuries and highly influenced, even on democracy.

Yes, you're right, it will take a few more decades before China has a full democracy and that's also no surprise. They still have to come a long way but I've seen with my own eyes where they are now in comparison with 30 years ago and the difference is huge and enormous. (BTW: does Thailand have a full democracy ?; I don't think so!)

The changes in 2 to 3 decades are so big that it is absolutely amazing and stunning.

Three decades ago I witnessed a 'grey', deadly poor country and it's people.

Nowadays it's the opposite and I see happy people all over the country, working hard, dressed properly, fighting for a better life, home and circumstances. THAT doesn't come overnight...

A life we enjoy already so many decades and consider to be normal...

Give them a chance and don't judge those countries just because they were poor and now...not so poor anymore; suffered real bad from the former rulers and now trying to improve their lives..................... but still far away from where we are.

Give them time.

LaoPo

I do believe that Thailand has a future. Unfortunately though that future will be preceded by large social upheavals and conflicts within society, before a long overdue modernization of a dysfunctional system will take place.

Yeah it's true, we almost automatically assume things are out of Thailands hands, but the truth is Thailand has plenty of time to get it's house in order. It won't come easy. but if they fight to get it right, they'll have earned something worth keeping. I think part of Thailand's complacency right now is from the fact that they haven't fought any major, life or death for the country, battles in the last 400 years. I might be wrong about that, but I think that is true. I'm not saying war is the answer, but a common struggle can define a people. The fight to regain democracy might become that all important cause.

Yeah it's true, we almost automatically assume things are out of Thailands hands, but the truth is Thailand has plenty of time to get it's house in order. It won't come easy. but if they fight to get it right, they'll have earned something worth keeping. I think part of Thailand's complacency right now is from the fact that they haven't fought any major, life or death for the country, battles in the last 400 years. I might be wrong about that, but I think that is true. I'm not saying war is the answer, but a common struggle can define a people. The fight to regain democracy might become that all important cause.

I must disagree, thailand was occupied by the japanese in the 1940,s I think for the 300thousand thai,s who died that was a life or death struggle!! from the late 40,s onward to today there has been religous and political fights and bombings in Southern thailand, in north east thailand all through the early 60,s there was communist insurgency!! where do you get your facts, I think the last battles the Canadians fought , was on the Streets of a little town called Soest in western Germany in 1969, where Canadian Infantry Regiments were thrown out of Germany in Disgrace , for multiple murders and sex crimes facilitated against a peacetime civilian population.If you care to read a bit more about thai history, there has always been conflict in one area another :o Nignoy

That's pure hyperbole.

Would you accept: There's [almost] no way.... :o

Seriously though. I fully agree that China and India still have huge problems to overcome. That's no surprise though if you look at the enormous populations and it's histories. There are no other countries in the world with similar huge populations and problems and both countries couldn't even be compared as India was an occupied country for centuries and highly influenced, even on democracy.

Yes, you're right, it will take a few more decades before China has a full democracy and that's also no surprise. They still have to come a long way but I've seen with my own eyes where they are now in comparison with 30 years ago and the difference is huge and enormous. (BTW: does Thailand have a full democracy ?; I don't think so!)

The changes in 2 to 3 decades are so big that it is absolutely amazing and stunning.

Three decades ago I witnessed a 'grey', deadly poor country and it's people.

Nowadays it's the opposite and I see happy people all over the country, working hard, dressed properly, fighting for a better life, home and circumstances. THAT doesn't come overnight...

A life we enjoy already so many decades and consider to be normal...

Give them a chance and don't judge those countries just because they were poor and now...not so poor anymore; suffered real bad from the former rulers and now trying to improve their lives..................... but still far away from where we are.

Give them time.

LaoPo

Yes, the changes in China have been stunning. I remember the last gray years in China - gray suits, gray buildings, and still a few Mao suits as well. I am though uncomfortable with a few things, mostly the still ongoing mind control, and the unequal distribution of wealth.

And yes, present Thailand is in dire straights, and i believe that this is just the beginning of a very turbulent decade with enormous changes. Personally, i would not be surprised that when a certain event passes, different army factions supported by allied vested interests will have battles in the streets.

1. Yes, the changes in China have been stunning. I remember the last gray years in China - gray suits, gray buildings, and still a few Mao suits as well. I am though uncomfortable with a few things, mostly the still ongoing mind control, and the unequal distribution of wealth.

2. And yes, present Thailand is in dire straights, and i believe that this is just the beginning of a very turbulent decade with enormous changes. Personally, i would not be surprised that when a certain event passes, different army factions supported by allied vested interests will have battles in the streets.

1. About mind control: you would be surprised about the freedom of speech amongst the 'man in the street' although there's no -complete- freedom of speech in the press.

There is freedom of speech, more or less, unless the 'Beijing-Top is attacked'; in that case, yes, no freedom.

On the other hand I read many, many articles in the English/Chinese press attacking provincial, regional, urban and even 'Beijing' controlled governing institutions!

About unequal distribution of wealth: IF there would be an equal distribution of wealth, you're back to totalitarian communism and although that's the 'official' way of the 'party', in real life it's a capitalistic kind of communism and working quite well, for the average man in the street.

Of course there are enormous gaps in wealth but that is inherent in an upcoming country, all over the world. Thailand jumps to mind...

2. I agree.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I think the last battles the Canadians fought , was on the Streets of a little town called Soest in western Germany in 1969, where Canadian Infantry Regiments were thrown out of Germany in Disgrace , for multiple murders and sex crimes facilitated against a peacetime civilian population.If you care to read a bit more about thai history, there has always been conflict in one area another :o Nignoy

You might want to look at the number of Canadians who have died in Afghanistan before you make silly statements like that.

But you are correct that the Thais (Chiang Mai, Ayutthaya, Thonburi, Bangkok) have been engaged in important wars during the past 400 years.

The Thais fought the French during the Second World War, and had a few battles with them in the late 19th century. For their efforts in the former engagments, Thailand got Siem Reap and Battambang provinces back from Cambodia, land on the west bank of the Mekong from Laos, and Kiangtung State from Burma. In the latter effort, the French took land on the west bank of the Mekong, and the provinces of Siem Reap and Battambang.

Burma destroyed Ayutthaya in 1767, but Taksin (not Thaksin) rallied the Thais and inflicted defeats on them in the north of Siam. It might be added that Taksin co-ordinated his forces with invasions of Burma from China in conjuction with Ch'ing forces. Even though Burma defeated the Ch'ing army on three occasions, they had to divert troops from Lanna and Siam making it easier for Taksin to push the remaining Burmese forces out of the country. I can't remember when Nan got its independence from Burma.

Siam and Vietnam fought over Cambodia in the 18th and 19th centuries.

I think it is correct to say that China is in the region to stay. Whether this is a good, or bad, thing no-one can tell. The investment and economic opportunities that China offers the region should be welcomed. It is to be hoped that Thailand survives as an independent entity with full sovereignty. The Thai generals are tough, and they will not be pushed around easily. Even China has problems with the Burmese military leaders.

Thailand in ten years will be like living in paradise.

Easy visa rules for foreigners, land you can own yourself, no restrictions on the 51% Thais that need to be condo owners, everyone will speak basic English, foreign food can be found everywhere, transportation to anywhere, available by bus train and metro, real high speed internet for a low price available as long as you have a landline, the air quality will meet EU standards and there will be a lot of public parks where people can meet, jog or join aerobic lessons for free.

The roads will be smooth and no traffic jams anywhere, your som tam will still be 20 Bath and Uni students will keep their current fashion trend dresses. No double pricing anywhere and Thai soapies will be undertitled in English.

Did I miss something?

:o

Easy visa rules for foreigners, land you can own yourself, no restrictions on the 51% Thais that need to be condo owners, everyone will speak basic English, foreign food can be found everywhere, transportation to anywhere, available by bus train and metro, real high speed internet for a low price available as long as you have a landline, the air quality will meet EU standards and there will be a lot of public parks where people can meet, jog or join aerobic lessons for free.

The roads will be smooth and no traffic jams anywhere, your som tam will still be 20 Bath and Uni students will keep their current fashion trend dresses. No double pricing anywhere and Thai soapies will be undertitled in English.

Did I miss something?

:D

Can't wait.. :o

Did I miss something?

Soi dogs will fly?

I think the last battles the Canadians fought , was on the Streets of a little town called Soest in western Germany in 1969, where Canadian Infantry Regiments were thrown out of Germany in Disgrace , for multiple murders and sex crimes facilitated against a peacetime civilian population.If you care to read a bit more about thai history, there has always been conflict in one area another :o Nignoy

You might want to look at the number of Canadians who have died in Afghanistan before you make silly statements like that.

But you are correct that the Thais (Chiang Mai, Ayutthaya, Thonburi, Bangkok) have been engaged in important wars during the past 400 years.

The Thais fought the French during the Second World War, and had a few battles with them in the late 19th century. For their efforts in the former engagments, Thailand got Siem Reap and Battambang provinces back from Cambodia, land on the west bank of the Mekong from Laos, and Kiangtung State from Burma. In the latter effort, the French took land on the west bank of the Mekong, and the provinces of Siem Reap and Battambang.

Burma destroyed Ayutthaya in 1767, but Taksin (not Thaksin) rallied the Thais and inflicted defeats on them in the north of Siam. It might be added that Taksin co-ordinated his forces with invasions of Burma from China in conjuction with Ch'ing forces. Even though Burma defeated the Ch'ing army on three occasions, they had to divert troops from Lanna and Siam making it easier for Taksin to push the remaining Burmese forces out of the country. I can't remember when Nan got its independence from Burma.

Siam and Vietnam fought over Cambodia in the 18th and 19th centuries.

I think it is correct to say that China is in the region to stay. Whether this is a good, or bad, thing no-one can tell. The investment and economic opportunities that China offers the region should be welcomed. It is to be hoped that Thailand survives as an independent entity with full sovereignty. The Thai generals are tough, and they will not be pushed around easily. Even China has problems with the Burmese military leaders.

Iknow I am going to tread on a few peoples toes here!!by saying That Afghanistan is not Really a war !! Seeking out and Destroying terrorists and bombers is a genuine Military action, but not a war!!I did the same type of thing in the Radfan Mountains,the jungles of Malaysia and Borneo , and on the streets of Belfast and Northern Ireland and a few places where we never really were!!My friends went on to take part in the last modern Wars, The Falklands, Desert Storm, The court is still out on Iraq, sending a couple of units to support in search and destroy operations cannot be counted as going to war, if that was the case the United Kingdom has been at War continuously from 1939 !! :D Nignoy

First of all, you mentioned that the last battles Canada fought were in the streets of Germany. When it was pointed out that Canadians are fighting and dying in Aghanistan, you indicated that the action in Afghanistan is not a war. Nobody said it was. However, if you are referring to battles, such as the one in Germany, it might be prudent to acknowledge that Canadian action and deaths in Afghanistan fit the definition of battles a little bit better than the one you mentioned in Germany.

To be less than catholic with the facts is alright if you are writing and spreading propaganda, but not so endearing if you are seeking, or providing information, or engaging in a debate.

But, up to you.

I must disagree, thailand was occupied by the japanese in the 1940,s I think for the 300thousand thai,s who died that was a life or death struggle!! from the late 40,s onward to today there has been religous and political fights and bombings in Southern thailand, in north east thailand all through the early 60,s there was communist insurgency!! where do you get your facts, I think the last battles the Canadians fought , was on the Streets of a little town called Soest in western Germany in 1969, where Canadian Infantry Regiments were thrown out of Germany in Disgrace , for multiple murders and sex crimes facilitated against a peacetime civilian population.If you care to read a bit more about thai history, there has always been conflict in one area another :o Nignoy

Well like I said, I am not an expert and I did mention in that post that I could be wrong, obviously I was. Ka toht na krap.

But you did succeed in entirely missing the point of my post which was that Thailand to a great extant has the ability to control its own destiny, but the citizens need to be concerned about the direction they have been heading in the last year.

And if you are going to slag a country, find a fact that is relevant. Canadians have been continually active in peace keeping duties all over the world since the Korean War. Are we a big war machine? No. Was that my point? No. But we did gain a genuine appreciation for our rights and freedoms as a result of the last two world wars; as did most of the Western World. This is part of the reason we help other countries fight for their human rights.

I think the Thais will have a mobile phone genetically incorporated in there right ear,

within the next 10 years.

And Thailand will have more plastic surgeons than the rest of the world combined. This because the new model will have to installed every six months.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the Thais will have a mobile phone genetically incorporated in there right ear,

within the next 10 years.

And Thailand will have more plastic surgeons than the rest of the world combined. This because the new model will have to installed every six months.

Not to sure about that, as I think they will be able to extract the old phone through the right Nostril.

I have seen them practicing this tricky maneuver on many occasions in public

:D

Well like I said, I am not an expert and I did mention in that post that I could be wrong, obviously I was. Ka toht na krap.

But you did succeed in entirely missing the point of my post which was that Thailand to a great extant has the ability to control its own destiny, but the citizens need to be concerned about the direction they have been heading in the last year.

And if you are going to slag a country, find a fact that is relevant. Canadians have been continually active in peace keeping duties all over the world since the Korean War. Are we a big war machine? No. Was that my point? No. But we did gain a genuine appreciation for our rights and freedoms as a result of the last two world wars; as did most of the Western World. This is part of the reason we help other countries fight for their human rights.

Sorry for going off Thread a bit, Since my first experience in Thailand in late 1962 I have seen thailand evolve, and not always in the best direction, we cannot expect thailand to evolve and change into a democracy over night, 10 years is a short time in a countries history, maybe it will be annexed as a chinese colony, who knows!! As far as the canadian troubles in germany, was not slagging Canada off!! just making a true statement of fact but purely my opinion!! I was in Soest during the troubles, and it was an experience as bad as I have seen in my military career :D Nignoy

As far as the canadian troubles in germany, was not slagging Canada off!! just making a true statement of fact but purely my opinion!! I was in Soest during the troubles, and it was an experience as bad as I have seen in my military career :o Nignoy

It may be off topic, but i think that is very interesting. Is there maybe a website or something that explains that further, or if the mods allow, you could post some of that, please?

I don't see much substantial change. The on/off democracy will keep going through it's cycles, and Thailand will continue to modernize, albiet slower than it was in the five years preceeding the coup.

I tend to agree.

I first came here in the seventies and in essence it was exactly the same as it is now. Politically it's a continuing struggle between the military, bureaucratic interests and big business all trying to manipulate the rural masses and the middle class through some pastiche of democracy.

Since 1932 the struggle to achieve some sort of constituitional balance with maturing institutions has been remarkable unsuccessful. The 1997 constitution was a huge step and a strong leader like Thaksin could have offered the country so much.

I saw the current PM address the FCCT in Bangkok and believe him to be sincere but he'll need to be a magician to attend at the birth of a successful democracy. George Bush has it harder in Iraq at least.

Nonetheless, Thailand has a capacity for thriving through crisis, a remarkable resilience, though living in Isan as I do, these are the people who are always the losers.

Regional development to stem the tide of urban migration is the biggest problem of all.

To give credit to the PM, his initial policy statement included re-establishing the rule of law and reducing the gap between rich and poor. These are exactly what Thailand most needs.

This country is and will continue to change but the more it changes the more it stays the same.

Andrew Hicks

As far as the canadian troubles in germany, was not slagging Canada off!! just making a true statement of fact but purely my opinion!! I was in Soest during the troubles, and it was an experience as bad as I have seen in my military career :o Nignoy

It may be off topic, but i think that is very interesting. Is there maybe a website or something that explains that further, or if the mods allow, you could post some of that, please?

I will be in Soest in october, I will see if I can get local information or even a website for you,It was a big cover up by BAOR authorities, and very little was made public :D Nignoy

I will be in Soest in october, I will see if I can get local information or even a website for you,It was a big cover up by BAOR authorities, and very little was made public :D Nignoy

Thanks a lot. I have never heard of it. I am VERY interested. :D