Media organisations to probe Surachate’s payments to journalists

webfact

image.jpeg

Media organisations have announced an investigation into so-called “news fees” allegedly paid to journalists by Thailand’s deputy national police chief. Surachate Hakparn volunteered the information during a TV interview on Wednesday night about his ‘support’ of selected journalists to report stories about his work and investigations.

Seven key media organisations say they’re forming a committee to investigate the payments, which they describe as “unacceptable” and a serious violation of professional ethics.

The probe has been confirmed in a joint statement issued by the National Press Council of Thailand, the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand, the Thai Journalists Association, the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, the Society for Online News Providers, the National Union of Journalists Thailand, and the Confederation of Thai Journalists.

By Peter Roche

PHOTO: Stickboy BKK

Full story: PhuketGO 2023-09-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

Hmmmm it all comes tumbling down unfortunately. Unfortunately in thailand there are few consequences for bad deeds. 

History is always told from the winners perspective. I guess big joke understands this thus the reason for paying off journalists

Not such a hero after all

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

So Thai journalists are just as corrupt as the police, army, government and businesses.

It does make me reflect on this theme being played out in my birth country (USA). You cannot trust any educated person, politician, media, government institution … only listen to the one man fighting for you personally … you know the lead nominee of the minority political party.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Makes sense as to why he always had so much positive coverage.

What is amazing is that he volunteered this information unprompted, as if "yeah, I can do whatever I want because of my wife's fortune and my status."

Very telling.

Makes me wonder who else is paying the press.

Or who isn't?

To be honest, paying journalists to attend a news conference used to be common (I haven't been involved with journalists personally for a few years) as it paid for travel and lunch. I put a stop to it in one region, and yes, fewer journalists turned up but the ones that did just wanted the story and that's what they got.

• Confused 1