Thailand Wrestles with the Ripple Effects of Cannabis Decriminalisation

webfact

Very soon I'm going to be eating cannabis in an attempt to cure my insomnia (I won't be smoking it because I gave up smoking 3 years ago). Why am I "self-medicating"? My doctor in the UK had put me on Zopiclone (sleeping tablets), but I could only have them for 3 months in case I became addicted to them. On the few occasions in my life that I did try weed, I noticed it's narcotic effect, made me very sleepy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, BonnieandClyde said:

You might try Melatonin - If you haven't already.

It works well for us with no side effects or hangover the next day.

Zero buzz, but a a good nights sleep.

Thanks, but the Dr put me on that for a month and it had pretty much no effect. Anyway, I have a date with 'Mary Jane' this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:58 AM, Datsun 1200 said:

The previous Govt issued 6,000 Cannabis Dispensary licenses, They will all need to be compensated, as is totally legal what they have set up.

The new Govt won't want to pay, and it will remain available.

IH

The ones I have seen on Phuket by now all have a 'clinic' sign in their window, and I guess a doctor will be at hand for a very small fee to miraculously make the marihuana you buy into medical one.

As always, the Thais are very good at adapting, so I see rather a play for little envelopes for the police coming -- but in reality nothing changing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 1:30 AM, TheTightArseTraveller said:

Worst decision ever to decriminalise it.  So obvious what would happen in poorer areas that already struggle with alcoholism.

I've lived in Issan for over 14 years. Cannabis is the least of their "problems" among youth, middle aged and the elderly. Lao Khao and yaba take center stage IMO.

Edited by mizzi39
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 4:36 AM, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Morning ???? 

Its absolutely hilarious how they whine about cannabis, Yet alcohol is legal in Thailand ???????? Having one of the highest death rates with driving drunk and highest overall road deaths in total, Underage Thai children in villages are sent to stores to buy there parents beer, Seen MANY TIMES !!
Not to mention them getting in there cars and driving drunk to go out and kill people and themselves most times ,RIDICULOUS THOUGHT PROCESS AND COMMON SENSE IS EXTREMELY QUESTIONABLE HERE IN THAILAND ???????? ???? 

It's true. Every Isaan village has it's collection of alcoholics who are drunk on lao khao and yaa dong from early morning onwards.  Brick weed has been readily available for decades and is much cheaper than the legal weed which villagers can't afford.  I'm sure brick weed causes problems in villages, particularly with some youngsters, but nowhere near the catastrophic order of magnitude of alcohol. 

• Thumbs Up 1