Tragic Accident in Saraburi: Thirteen Electric Poles Collapse During Installation, 12 Injuries And 2 Deaths

webfact

image.jpeg

Saraburi — On October 2nd, 2023, Pol. Capt. Thongkham Phoyai, Sub-Inspector of Investigation, Ban Mo Police Station, Saraburi Province, received a report that thirteen 14-meter tall concrete poles with high voltage wires fell down during installation at the Ban Krua Subdistrict, Ban Mo District, Saraburi Province. A rescue squad was urgently dispatched to aid the injured and send them to nearby hospitals.

On the accident scene, 13 recently installed electric poles more than 14 meters high suddenly collapsed during their installation leading to 12 injuries and 2 deaths. The rescue team performed first aid and transferred the wounded to nearby Tha Ruea Hospital and Ban Mo Hospital.

Unfortunately, the incident resulted in 2 deaths later identified as Mr. Katin Sivilaisak, 27-years-old from Laos, and Mr. Xem Kavanh, 26-years-old, also from Laos.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

PHOTO: Khaosod

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

On the risk of getting banned; Thais manage to put up any such poles like toothpicks into a jelly. Go across the Mekong to Laos and - later soil erosion excluded - those poles are put up absolutely upright, in a straight line and equal distance. Reason for that is simple (as per a Lao construction supervisor I met); we have to do the job and are paid ONCE, if the job is not done properly, we have to go back and redo the job at your expense. 

This is where the message lies; so many jobs are being done twice, three times etc. and each and every time Somchai rocks up, the bill is to follow ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, I'm sure the poles were set in strong and deep concrete foundations, rather than sunk into soft soil. At least they fell down now rather than later when a puff of wind could bring them down.

If they did them the same way as the replacement poles along my village street, I'm not surprised if the fell down.

First they dug a hole next to the existing pole, then they put a concrete plug in the bottom of the hole, 2 days later dropped the pole in place and started wiring up, afterwards they came along removed the existing pole and poured concrete to form a substantial base. By this time the pole was leaning off vertical, luckily along the Soi and not towards the house.

• Like 1

How are these companies allowed to use foreign labor?   Just imagine how cheap their labor costs are compared to similar costs in rhe West and doubtful they charge the government less  

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, I'm sure the poles were set in strong and deep concrete foundations, rather than sunk into soft soil. At least they fell down now rather than later when a puff of wind could bring them down.

and the reporter forgot to mention the villagers buying up lottery tickets with the new lucky numbers