Modest drinker, no p4p, 60k month. Where can my friend afford live?

sidjameson

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I prefer to keep my personal life private .

Like.....................

* I ave sex with the woman who works in the offy three times a week, on Monday , Thursday and Sunday afternoons when the shop closes , how often to you have a sex* 

????

= no sex.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:31 AM, Dene16 said:

It's called humour, you must be a bundle of joy to be with

All those obese, ugly, aging foreigner's i see with their 20+ year age gap partners must have just got lucky when out visiting yet another look alike Temple.

Why is it that Pattaya, pre covid, with no beach, no family facilities, had 9.5 million visitors

That was nearly half the amount of tourists entering Thailand, they weren't coming for the culture, or the non existent sightseeing, were they?

I am sorry if the facts are not to your liking but that's life.

Not everyone's the same but most of them that visit Thailand are, whether you like it or not

Well, here's perhaps a first.  Every single sentence in your post is incorrect--starting with the first sentence wrongly declaring their was 'humour' in your other post and ending with your last, utterly ridiculous false claim that most visitors to Thailand are the same.  By the way, Pattaya has at least 4 beaches and lots of 'family facilities'.  There were nearly 40 million visitors to Thailand, pre-covid, and your '9.5 million visitors' to Pattaya is not exactly your claim of 'nearly half' of the 40 million visitors.  That would be 20 million. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 6:08 PM, scubascuba3 said:

There is a reason Pattaya is popular, lots of cheap accommodation, food, activities, everything. Many people live on less than 60k a month.

It's gets more expensive if you follow the script, buy a pick up, rent a girlfriend monthly,marry, build a house on their land 555. Avoid all that and it's no problem

If following the script means living in a house with a proper kitchen with an oven vs a shoebox with no kitchen, driving a car vs a minibike, eating foreign foods if I desire vs a steady diet of Thai food, and having a wife vs assorted hookers, give me the script every time. I did not retire here to live in a room the size of a closet and live on fried rice. 

There are ways to circumvent food cost. Cook your own food, cure and smoke bacon (bacon is very expensive but I love it), buy cheaper cheese and cold smoke it

Edited by bang saen guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2023 at 10:18 PM, KhunLA said:

I am also L&LL, but every time some skint expats has financial problems, 'can't pay hospital bill', because too poor to be in the country, without insurance or oops fund, it reflects bad on the rest of us.

And they start enforcing the rules, strictly.  You hear people crying about they keep moving the goal post for retirement & marriage visas.   Not the case, they're just not as lax as they use to be, because of all the scammers.

Rules for marriage and retirement haven't changed since I've been here, but they enforce them now.  And add what every they like, photos being a new one.  Not sure all provinces do that.

Especially when it comes to marriage visas.  Use to be so easy.  Now they come to your house, want to have photos of you, don't even trust their own staff, as they'll take a photo of themselves at your house number.   Make the wife get a certification that still married every year now.   Don't even trust local office to do them.

Retirement visa are still done locally, and they can use their discretion, though nothing like before.

Belated thanks for the thoughtful reply.  Especially when, in retrospect, my question was worded snarkier than I now wish it had been.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bang saen guy said:

If following the script means living in a house with a proper kitchen with an oven vs a shoebox with no kitchen, driving a car vs a minibike, eating foreign foods if I desire vs a steady diet of Thai food, and having a wife vs assorted hookers, give me the script every time. I did not retire here to live in a room the size of a closet and live on fried rice. 

There are ways to circumvent food cost. Cook your own food, cure and smoke bacon (bacon is very expensive but I love it), buy cheaper cheese and cold smoke it

Yes, I couldn't do the 1 room thing.  I need 2 rooms, 1 being large eat-in kitchen, so 50m² w/full kitchen, (25 & 25 would work).  Have to be able to cook, all meals if wanting/needing.

We only eat out to get out of the house, or for pastry at coffee shops, as some aren't worth the hassle trying to make, along with possibly having to eat it all before turning.  I can, but shouldn't.  Do that with bread already.

If restaurants could cook as good as us, we'd eat out a lot more, but they fail miserably ... countrywide, whether quality or quantity of serving.  Though we do find plenty of gems.  But nothing like living in suburbia USA, where I ate out, at least 1 meal a day, though usually 2, and rarely fast food.  Here, maybe 1 meal a week when home.

Townhouse gives you so much more space over a condo, without the amenities, at same price point.  Are you really going to use the pool & gym that much.  We have a local pool & gym I could join if wanted, and did the first year, only 600, so maybe 1000 baht a year now, and it's an Olympic size pool, and we were usually the only ones using, if swim team wasn't practicing.  We rarely used it, and never used the gym, which is quite nice.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's some time ago that I tried to find a new Thai girlfriend.

But many of the girls seem to know pretty well how to live cheap - if they have to and use their own money. 

I'm sure they do, but I never met one that wanted to stay with me without getting paid to do so.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Any 65+ guy who says they get laid with a 35 yr old Thai lady because the lady doesn't expect something in return and she's into him is truly oblivious to the facts.   Much like any women in the west would expect.

Of course she would expect something in return. That doesn’t have to be M O N E Y. 
Your assumption is possibly associated with the kind of women with whom you’ve been associated. 
Seek and ye shall find. BMT found for what he was looking. Good for him. That doesn’t mean that everyone is looking for the same thing. 
But his schoolboy declarations of how often he can have sex are painful to read, for rather obvious reasons to which he appears oblivious. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, NoDisplayName said:

No problem living comfortable on half that amount.

Define comfortable.  Does that mean holed up in a small box, walking everywhere he goes and eating at Big C or Lotus say 5 times a week and staying as long as he can to enjoy free AC? 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And you don't want them at all apart from for a bit of housework and cooking.

Your mom is usually free, it's sex partners that cost.

Sex partners….

Your obsession with this is somewhat embarrassing. Though perhaps not in the way that you might imagine. 
It may be that you don’t care, but think about what you reveal here….

You don’t want love from a woman, only sex. 
Your wife doesn’t cook for you nor your son. Your wife doesn’t clean up either. 
You are making it sound as if your wife is simply a sex slave. The way you describe it; banging them. Somewhat ironic that you try to suggest that in my relationships the fact that we take care of each other regardless of financial input that is somehow ‘slavery’. Obviously quite the opposite. 
So seriously, stop ‘banging on’ about having sex as if you’ve won the top prize. It’s painful to read and frankly, embarrassing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

Sex partners….

Your obsession with this is somewhat embarrassing. Though perhaps not in the way that you might imagine. 
It may be that you don’t care, but think about what you reveal here….

You don’t want love from a woman, only sex. 
Your wife doesn’t cook for you nor your son. Your wife doesn’t clean up either. 
You are making it sound as if your wife is simply a sex slave. The way you describe it; banging them. Somewhat ironic that you try to suggest that in my relationships the fact that we take care of each other regardless of financial input that is somehow ‘slavery’. Obviously quite the opposite. 
So seriously, stop ‘banging on’ about having sex as if you’ve won the top prize. It’s painful to read and frankly, embarrassing. 

As are your boastful posts about getting it free.

Briffault's Law.

Edited by BritManToo

iMHO, this type of story has been told many a time. So lets start with "Sure  a person could live a very basic life with 60k baht a month".  However as we know, this is just how it starts.  Pretty soon things change, the living "basic" isn't so "Comfortable" anymore. But this is his life now.  No way back it appears, stuck in a small vacuum. He starts to see other foreigners living better and wants more but again, That's it.  Quite frankly this is why quite a few foreigners take swan dives off condo balconies and end it.  Its all new and exciting when you land but walking everywhere you go, eating at BIG C canteen gets old. Buying last day food products grows old. Not being able to travel around gets old. Walking to the same places seeing the same things every day, gets old.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

His UK Wife refused to have sex with him , many years of sexual frustration , now he's so relieved  to be able to have sex any time he wants , he needs to tell everyone about it .

Theres that old saying : There's  people that do things and there are people that talk about doing things 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JAFO said:

iMHO, this type of story has been told many a time. So lets start with "Sure  a person could live a very basic life with 60k baht a month".  However as we know, this is just how it starts.  Pretty soon things change, the living "basic" isn't so "Comfortable" anymore. But this is his life now.  No way back it appears, stuck in a small vacuum. He starts to see other foreigners living better and wants more but again, That's it.  Quite frankly this is why quite a few foreigners take swan dives off condo balconies and end it.  Its all new and exciting when you land but walking everywhere you go, eating at BIG C canteen gets old. Buying last day food products grows old. Not being able to travel around gets old. Walking to the same places seeing the same things every day, gets old.  

I live very comfortably on 60k a month spend (20k rent, 10k a week for food/drinks/utilities) and have done so for many many years.

Obviously visa and and private health not included nor car repayments and vehicle upkeep and fuel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As are your boastful posts about getting it free.

Briffault's Law.

It’s sad that you view my posts as ‘boastful’. I view them as normal and open. 
If it’s my experience as not ever needing to pay a woman for ‘sex’, I was not aware that I needed to hide that truth from those who decided to pay. This is a place of discussion. There is no boasting nor an intention to boast. That is your creation. 

14 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

His UK Wife refused to have sex with him , many years of sexual frustration , now he's so relieved  to be able to have sex any time he wants , he needs to tell everyone about it .

Theres that old saying : There's  people that do things and there are people that talk about doing things 

Seems obvious. Though not interested in looking down on him or his situation. We all have our trials  and tribulations. 

44 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I live very comfortably on 60k a month spend (20k rent, 10k a week for food/drinks/utilities) and have done so for many many years.

Obviously visa and and private health not included nor car repayments and vehicle upkeep and fuel.

Fair enough.  And I suspect that as many that are comfortable, there are just as many that are not or we could say they adapted but its not what they envisioned their life to be. I have met and known quite a few that started out with the rose colored glasses syndrome. They sat around, did the math and said.  "I can live well on 50k, 60k bht".  The majority left within a few years as they felt trapped.  I know a few now that live on about 40k baht a month but they are older and are not very mobile and do not go many places and order food from various western food stores delivered to their home.  They seem content. 

So I guess in the broader point of view, it would completely depend on the life style they lived in their home country and what are they expecting when they move here and that person has to be 100% honest with themselves or they could set themselves up for a fail. I still personally believe that 60K baht is a basic life here if you include all living expenses, are on the up and up, plan on a trip back home every few years or a trip or 2 to nearby countries or even a nice getaway here in Thailand. 

I always enjoy this subject when it hits the forum. Interesting cross section but not ever sure if the guys living on the 60k baht are being truthful about how their life is. ????

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Fair enough.  And I suspect that as many that are comfortable, there are just as many that are not or we could say they adapted but its not what they envisioned their life to be. I have met and known quite a few that started out with the rose colored glasses syndrome. They sat around, did the math and said.  "I can live well on 50k, 60k bht".  The majority left within a few years as they felt trapped.  I know a few now that live on about 40k baht a month but they are older and are not very mobile and do not go many places and order food from various western food stores delivered to their home.  They seem content. 

So I guess in the broader point of view, it would completely depend on the life style they lived in their home country and what are they expecting when they move here and that person has to be 100% honest with themselves or they could set themselves up for a fail. I still personally believe that 60K baht is a basic life here if you include all living expenses, are on the up and up, plan on a trip back home every few years or a trip or 2 to nearby countries or even a nice getaway here in Thailand. 

I always enjoy this subject when it hits the forum. Interesting cross section but not ever sure if the guys living on the 60k baht are being truthful about how their life is. ????

Most UK pensioners can't afford to heat 1 room, let alone have holidays. Are you so completely out of touch with the reality of being old in the west?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JAFO said:

You could just as easily write; some are good with money and some are not. 

What is a ‘basic life’? It’s really a nonsense from you. 
I met an American girl in Thailand not so long ago and as I talked about my life, she suddenly exclaimed, “You’re living the dream….. and you have a …..!!!(referring to my mode of transport at the time). What you might regard as a ‘basic life’ can be a dream for a normal person from even a first world country. 
All you are really doing is illustrating your own failings. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to live like britman than 60k is definitely enough.

My 43 year old Thai wife makes 70-80k a month which is the lowest salary among her friends. As a Thai citizen she also has 3 insurance policies, social insurance, 30 baht scheme and the convenience of not begging for the visa to stay. If you want to live much worse mid class Thai woman than enjoy Thailand. 

Edited by Celsius
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

If you want to live like britman than 60k is definitely enough.

My 43 year old Thai wife makes 70-80k a month which is the lowest salary among her friends. As a Thai citizen she also has 3 insurance policies, social insurance, 30 baht scheme and the convenience of not begging for the visa to stay. If you want to live much worse mid class Thai woman than enjoy Thailand. 

???? ???? 

1 minute ago, NextG said:

What is a ‘basic life’? It’s really a nonsense from you. 

Cheers.  Seems I hit a nerve. Not my intent. I will let you guys keep at it. 

My comments were driven that it always seems so wonderfully rosy when someone says "come live in Thailand, you can live comfortably on 60k baht a month". Then posters come on and say I live great on 30k baht, 40k baht. Really? Ok. So just what is that life like? I simply asked what are the individuals requirements?  How are old are they? What are their expectations? Marriage? Children? Travel?.  Its not nonsense.  Its a question. 

As for the cost of heating a house or room in the UK... I don't care.  Not my problem quite frankly as I am not from the UK and I am quite in touch with reality. Its very expensive in the west and why many are exiting their home countries to live elsewhere. I know it was a part of my decision of why I moved here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

What did exactly made you sick about my post. That most career Thai woman have bigger monthly income than the average sexpat in Thailand or that I was gloating?

Celsius,

It always seems that when you challenge a few on this forum on a subject they quickly become defensive and go off to make it personal.  As you noted, the majority of professional career Thai men and women make very nice salaries and not just in BKK. I know many that make near 150k baht a month plus annual bonuses, benefits and great healthcare. It seems that if you challenge the 60k baht "Living the dream" number it really sends them off the rails.  ????‍♂️  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Cheers.  Seems I hit a nerve. Not my intent. I will let you guys keep at it. 

My comments were driven that it always seems so wonderfully rosy when someone says "come live in Thailand, you can live comfortably on 60k baht a month". Then posters come on and say I live great on 30k baht, 40k baht. Really? Ok. So just what is that life like? I simply asked what are the individuals requirements?  How are old are they? What are their expectations? Marriage? Children? Travel?.  Its not nonsense.  Its a question. 

As for the cost of heating a house or room in the UK... I don't care.  Not my problem quite frankly as I am not from the UK and I am quite in touch with reality. Its very expensive in the west and why many are exiting their home countries to live elsewhere. I know it was a part of my decision of why I moved here. 

Perhaps you should consider that pensioners aren’t thinking about marriage, children and travel when they move to Thailand, nor talking to some idiot who is prying into their private life. Perhaps they think you are an insurance salesman. 
Personally, I spend less than I spent many years ago, as my current accommodation costs 33% of my former accommodations and I live in spacious luxury beachfront accommodation. 
Neither am I a pensioner. I probably spend less than 60k on average. My life most certainly would not be regarded as basic, anywhere in the world. 
Your post is mainly speculative nonsense and unpleasant negative projection. If someone states that they are doing okay on 40k, why do you need to stick your nose in further?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting that you think girlfriend and p4p is the same.

Obviously it's possible to manage many situations alone. But there is an advantage to learn lots of details from a local friend. 

i do have a local friend...HE is thai and doesnt ask me money or tell my about his sick buffalo

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

Celsius,

It always seems that when you challenge a few on this forum on a subject they quickly become defensive and go off to make it personal.  As you noted, the majority of professional career Thai men and women make very nice salaries and not just in BKK. I know many that make near 150k baht a month plus annual bonuses, benefits and great healthcare. It seems that if you challenge the 60k baht "Living the dream" number it really sends them off the rails.  ????‍♂️  

Challenge? Do you think him trying to insult and deride another member of the forum is something that should go unanswered?

If you wish to write irrelevant nonsense, then be prepared for a backlash. Be a man and take your medicine. 
It’s frankly pathetic how the man parades his wife as some form of trophy. Puke inducing. 
As to yourself, I can only speak for myself. Due to my lifestyle of not having to support any woman financially, I have a very nice life within that budget. That doesn’t mean that I cannot spend more or less. But I’m sure that I frequently spend less. So accept when people describe their experiences or be prepared to be looked on with derision for your lack of intelligence and understanding. 

• Confused 2