Give 500,000 UK overseas State Pensioners with frozen pensions parity - Petitions.

I'm not sure that removal of the 15-year limit will actually help when it comes to voting from overseas.

I can only state what happened when I tried to vote in the BREXIT referendum so YMMV, as they say.

The postal voting papers were sent out by snail mail and arrived in my mail box exactly one day before the voting deadline.  Not even enough time to return by EMS - absolutely useless!

• Sad 2

So far as pension increases are concerned, imo the fairest way would be to apply the 'triple lock rate' of the country in which an expat resides. However, that is probably impractical for administrative reasons so the UK rate rise should apply.

Wrt voting in UK general elections, these are mainly contested on the basis of differences in domestic policy, which do not directly affect expats. Therefore, why should this group get a vote on such matters?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RayC said:

Wrt voting in UK general elections, these are mainly contested on the basis of differences in domestic policy, which do not directly affect expats. Therefore, why should this group get a vote on such matters?

A valid point ????

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RayC said:

So far as pension increases are concerned, imo the fairest way would be to apply the 'triple lock rate' of the country in which an expat resides. However, that is probably impractical for administrative reasons so the UK rate rise should apply.

Why should there be taxation without representation?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RayC said:

I agree. Imo an individual's personal income should be taxed in the country where they reside.

Never going to work as the UK HMRC allows any income used for pension provision tax free whether its the employer or the employee contributions.

On 10/13/2023 at 7:19 AM, doctormann said:

I'm not sure that removal of the 15-year limit will actually help when it comes to voting from overseas.

I can only state what happened when I tried to vote in the BREXIT referendum so YMMV, as they say.

The postal voting papers were sent out by snail mail and arrived in my mail box exactly one day before the voting deadline.  Not even enough time to return by EMS - absolutely useless!

The only practical way to vote from here (and I suspect almost anywhere else from overseas) is to appoint a proxy. If you have a family member or a friend whom you trust to vote as you wish that works ok. My son does it for me. Once set up, renewal is a simple exchange of emails every year, at least that's the way it works with my local authority.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The only practical way to vote from here (and I suspect almost anywhere else from overseas) is to appoint a proxy. If you have a family member or a friend whom you trust to vote as you wish that works ok. My son does it for me. Once set up, renewal is a simple exchange of emails every year, at least that's the way it works with my local authority.

It did for me even when my proxy voter moved to a different town, right up to the time I reached the 15 year limit, and then it stopped.

Perhaps in 2024 the voting rights for overseas voters will restore that.

OTOH it IS a politicians promise and that is worth whatever people believe it is worth.

I personally I am not going to hold my breath over it.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Never going to work as the UK HMRC allows any income used for pension provision tax free whether its the employer or the employee contributions.

I don't expect any UK government to change the law so that only residents are taxed on their income, but I don't understand why the law governing pension provision should be a barrier?

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

It did for me even when my proxy voter moved to a different town, right up to the time I reached the 15 year limit, and then it stopped.

Perhaps in 2024 the voting rights for overseas voters will restore that.

It should do, the legislation has already been passed, but I wonder how efficient local authorities will be in implementing it. I'm coming up to 14 years away, so am still in the system, and don't expect to have much of a problem. Perhaps you won't, as you were previously registered, but how it will work out for people who have been out for a long time remains to be seen. I haven't read the legislation, but I remember seeing something about them wanting to take tougher measures against voting fraud, so I don't know if that will make it harder to get registered, or for postal voting. My son does my vote by post.

Most commentators are still talking about an election next autumn. If anyone wants to be registered I would advise finding out about it and applying before the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It should do, the legislation has already been passed, but I wonder how efficient local authorities will be in implementing it. I'm coming up to 14 years away, so am still in the system, and don't expect to have much of a problem. Perhaps you won't, as you were previously registered, but how it will work out for people who have been out for a long time remains to be seen. I haven't read the legislation, but I remember seeing something about them wanting to take tougher measures against voting fraud, so I don't know if that will make it harder to get registered, or for postal voting. My son does my vote by post.

Most commentators are still talking about an election next autumn. If anyone wants to be registered I would advise finding out about it and applying before the summer.

I have to dredge my memory banks back to 2013/04/05.

IIRC I first did an internet search for the 15 year rule.

That asked me where I was staying in the UK and which I left the UK, and either it turned up with the local council website.

I found within the council website the voter registration contact details and went from there.

They were very helpful and explained what was needed when my friend moved.

My 15 years expired in 2021, so I will send them an email sometime this week and ask for an update.

14 hours ago, RayC said:

I don't expect any UK government to change the law so that only residents are taxed on their income, but I don't understand why the law governing pension provision should be a barrier?

The HMRC allows tax relief on pension contributions so it would follow that when the pension is realised they would want to tax the pension income not allow it to be taxed elsewhere, ''you can't have you cake and eat it''

I am assuming that ''anyone's personal income'' would include their pension income.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 2:32 PM, billd766 said:

I am sure that there are a few or even many things that I have forgotten

Just 1 omission from your comprehensive list that I can think of, Bill, relating to the cumbersomely bureaucratic procedure which has been inflicted on those needing to get UK official documents legalised for use in Thailand - spelt out in all its "wondrous glory" in the following link:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5b173648e5274a190383bc14/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

The HMRC allows tax relief on pension contributions so it would follow that when the pension is realised they would want to tax the pension income not allow it to be taxed elsewhere, ''you can't have you cake and eat it''

I am assuming that ''anyone's personal income'' would include their pension income.

Thanks for the explanation. Fair point. 

There are ways to circumvent the issue though. When I worked in Belgium, pension contributions - up to a ceiling,

- lowered one's taxable income significantly (Income tax rates in Belgium are very high) and an individual's pension pot was then taxed at maturity (@10% if I remember correctly?). 

All hypothetical of course. Imo there is next to no chance of any UK government either agreeing that 1) a UK national's (pension) income should be taxed where they reside and/or 2) the 'triple lock' being applied to expats residing in countries where it is not currently in operation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

We don't need reciprocal arrangements, we need equal representation in the House of Commons. If 67 seats were up for grabs we would soon see changes.

Agreed - the French certainly seem to have been able to secure representation for their foreign expats along these lines in their National Assembly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituencies_for_French_residents_overseas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Just 1 omission from your comprehensive list that I can think of, Bill, relating to the cumbersomely bureaucratic procedure which has been inflicted on those needing to get UK official documents legalised for use in Thailand - spelt out in all its "wondrous glory" in the following link:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5b173648e5274a190383bc14/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

If it happens, I wonder If I would have to complete it as I have no assets in the UK.

It would mean an overnight trip and an 800 km return trip for a nil response.