Rogue Immigration Officer?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I don't advocate a limit on arrivals by air simply because I'm planning on monthly air arrivals for the foreseeable future, but I only spend a week at a time (on visa exempt).  IMO, the more appropriate limit would be total days in country by visa type, but I don't really advocate that, either.  Just saying that would be more appropriate than to limit the number of air arrivals.

Well you have made good suggestions in your post.

And yes visits of short duration albeit often is very different from visa exempt entry and then obtaining a 30 day extension and fly out back in with overnight stay out of Thailand. 

It would be simple to have clear rules. 

Even for consulates ...it's a guessing game .

Some more flexible regarding SETV eg Vientiane and others not so eg PP. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How is he a rogue?

Could a Thai do what you have done in your country?

This forum has created an expection on how things should be done. Anyone in authority that does not meet that expection is seen to be "Rogue".

The real rogues are those that push that expection oblivious to the fact that the Thais, like any other government, can implement policy in any way they choose.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

ah so the truth is finally revealed eh Bogs. you don't care about Thailand, just yourself. was wondering why you suddenly went from hating the place to its defender. unless you're bipolar?

Possible he signed in using the wrong profile, intended to use the the miserable one

Edited by scubascuba3

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Possible he signed in using the wrong profile, intended to use the the miserable one

You know I think he somehow managed to change his username from Bob to Bogs and then back again. 

Another BM did the same, Possum1931 became NoshowJones. 

I haven't got around to finding out how one goes about doing this, I'm curious but ultimately it's not really that important too me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It would be simple to have clear rules. 

Even for consulates ...it's a guessing game .

Witnessing the dress of some of the characters walking through int'l arrivals, I suspect it's not accidental that they want some discretion on who they let in and who they don't.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

I also wonder how any new tax rules will affect him...  (Edit:  I'm waiting for the new tax rules to roll in and the first time someone gets stopped on the way in or out and asked "I see you spent 240 days in Thailand last year...  Where is your tax document?"  Not wishing it will happen, but stranger things have)

I believe the new law is for rich Thais earning money abroad, not foreigner visa runners.

Witnessing the dress of some of the characters walking through int'l arrivals, I suspect it's not accidental that they want some discretion on who they let in and who they don't.

wouldn't you think it's better to have a criminal record check? otherwise criminals might as well come on down

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I believe the new law is for rich Thais earning money abroad, not foreigner visa runners.

That's the way the interweb is leaning, and I tend to agree because I don't know any better.  But it'll be interesting to see...

We are off topic but i for one don't believe that.

If an io suspected someone of working (for example) which dress code would enhance that concern.

A well dressed fella or someone in T shirt, shorts, and flip flops.

To me the latter looks like a Tourist.

Immigration office different.

Did my 12 month extension last week and worn good jeans shoes and shirt.

Just a respect thing imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

No, because his country likely has clearly defined and rules on how much time one can spend there each year as a tourist. Thailand doesn't, nor do they define what is meant by "tourism purposes".

Indeed they do, along with much stricter entry requirements than Thailand.

My wife's recent tourist visa to the UK was 13 pages. A definition of " tourist purposes" would be a bit superflous as you have to explain in detail why you need to be in the country.

Who would believe a multitude of men claiming they needed to visit temples, reality being the mound of Venus. Tourism becomes an easy answer.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

"Thai style preferred"? 

Very narrow mind set if that's the case.

My guess is a particular squeeze. 

the "simple"  answer as to why "thai style preferred"  is that for the average Joe looking for ease of living and ease of  you know what ........ thailand still ranks number one ( sorry, i have no google stats to show, just my opinion based on many years being here.  

edit : what does "particular squeeze"  mean ?

Edited by rumak

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

A well dressed fella or someone in T shirt, shorts, and flip flops.

I was referring to the ones that behave like they just snorted a line, dressed in a stained wife beater and shorts that you can see their butt through the holes.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

it's people like you that Thailand is actively trying to stop abusing their visa system.

Either play by the rules like the rest of us or go home.

You are NOT a tourist if you are staying here for 10 months out of a calendar year on visa exemptions. 

Don't worry Bob, he is not stealing your hookerz

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did my 12 month extension last week and worn good jeans shoes and shirt.

Just a respect thing imo.

I also wear long pants and a a shirt ( even a clean t shirt ok , i think ) .   Been doing that for a long time.        I did have my "hippie years" ............... and in my mind still am   haha

but...... i have adapted a bit with dress AND  attitude to the LONP   (land of nice people) 

outside the ghettos, that is

22 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Just make sure you have the proper visas in place.

again, living here on Tourist visa exemptions is just not acceptable. 

Why not, I've been doing it since I retired over 5 years ago. No problem

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Sad 1

So, back on topic. The OP had a tourist visa... which requires a flight out of Thailand. Or at least my embassy does. So why did he have to book a flight on the spot? Didnt have the ticket with him? So many questions.....

Edited by raz0r21
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

it's people like you that Thailand is actively trying to stop abusing their visa system.

Either play by the rules like the rest of us or go home.

You are NOT a tourist if you are staying here for 10 months out of a calendar year on visa exemptions. 

Ever heard of sabbaticals? Snowbirds? Such a narrow minded comment. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, bob smith said:

Last I checked there was no visa category named 'Sabbatical' 

Lol. Now you are just trolling. Since there is no limit on tourist visas, or how long you can stay as a tourist... its up to the immigration officer to decide. Like someone else wrote, this has been discussed ad nauseam. 

The reasons for someone staying a long time as a tourist differs a lot. Some people take a year off from work, there are so many different scenarios (2 of which i just used as an example).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Marky Mark Mark said:

Vietnam....i saw someone write out of 100 who visit as tourist only 5 would return.

Thailand... out of 100 who visit 100 want to return......see the issue.

That's a pretty impressive affirmation echo chamber you have there.

Meanwhile, you really need to regularize your permission to stay in Thailand, be it by visa or otherwise.

Thanks for playing.

10 minutes ago, bob smith said:

nice to see all the visa rule breakers on this thread.

I hope immigration is keeping a close eye on you all :thumbsup:

What rules are we breaking if IO let me in for 270 days last year on visa exempts by air and 225 this year?

Surely IO would have rejected me if it was against the rules to stay that long as a tourist

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And it is people like you who seem to think that you can dictate what others, displaying nothing more than their opinion (and accurate observation) of an OP, can post on a public forum.  

Pot - kettle - black spring to mind

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, raz0r21 said:

So, back on topic. The OP had a tourist visa... which requires a flight out of Thailand. Or at least my embassy does. So why did he have to book a flight on the spot? Didnt have the ticket with him? So many questions.....

No, that's not the topic. The topic is where does the OP go from here?

I could give a bunch of suggestions but the title of the OP suggests that he has done little or no research himself in the last 10 months or however long he's stayed here on tourist stamps. Lots of post-covid posts on the subject here on AN.

He also pooh-poohed "Dr" Jack's suggestion of a nice visit to Viet Nam based on some random internet reviews instead of his own eyes. Ergo, not inclined to assist.