Tourism fee fund to be fast-tracked after payouts to families in the Siam Paragon mass shooting

webfact

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Yes, and the airlines rightfully refused to collect it. It's simple for them to add a fee that applies to all passengers

False information, the airlines did not refuse to collect it. Airlines can only differentiate  between passengers on fixed booking information. In common with other the tourist tax does not apply to all passengers.

For example Heathrow imposes a separate tax over and above the Passenger Service Charge from about 3.500THB upwards depending on seat size, this is easily identifiable from the booking.

People should remember Thailand could have adopted the same approach as most other countries with a tourist tax and applied it to hotel bookings on a nightly basis.

The 300 baht would pale into insignificance.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

foreign tourism entry fee, which the ministry now proposes will be paid by travellers on arrival at entry points to the kingdom,

So they now realize to expect airlines to collect this charge was unworkable, imagine a stop over on the way, then paying the fee in say Delhi when you buy a ticket to Thailand there.

5 hours ago, chris26be said:

So when a Thai citizen shoots someone, the tourists have to pay the costs?

Yes, you hit the nail on the head - Thai "Anti-logic" at its best!

Akin to putting the prices up in a bar because they don't have many customers - and no I'm not being flippant - it was a tragic event that seems to be coming commonplace, but to link the compensation payments to the tourist tax is unbelievably bad P.R.

I can just hear the TAT spokesperson now! :- "We're charging you to come into our country because one of our citizens went on a shooting spree in  a Mall, and we need some money to pay compensation to the victims' families"

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Just being accurate!

If you are working in Thailand and have a work permit/visa or a long permission to stay, like being married to a Thai or a 'retirement' visa you are obviously not a tourist!

A tourist is a person who comes or goes to Thailand for a vacation and goes home!

So calling it a 'tourist levy'  is inaccurate!

If you were being accurate you would quote the criteria accurately.

I seem to remember there were exemptions, one being a work permit.

Wouldn't it be better to wait and see before spreading false assumptions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

So its for 30 days only, what happens when you extend for another 30days? Welcome to Thailand sir, you have 20k cash sir, ''no I now only have 19,700b" entry  denied "can i get my 300b refunded'' No. 

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.
  • Haha 1

One the one hand... Macro Economics 101: if you want to slow sales, increase price.

On the other hand... If it really will be used to "providing emergency medical health insurance cover and other benefits for 30 days from the point of entry"... Well that is at least somewhat more palatable...

Just now, Fairynuff said:

For that price you get all your accommodation, all your food, a private tour guide, car and driver. You literally don’t have to spend anything.

That is a minimum daily spend amount that the article declares as a tax, I can see how they might arrive at that conclusion because there is no choice but to pay it, the idea that you get something for it is not really relevant. The fact is, if you went there for 5 days and went no further than the airport and didn't eat or drink anything you would still have to pay 250 x 5.

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

That is a minimum daily spend amount that the article declares as a tax, I can see how they might arrive at that conclusion because there is no choice but to pay it, the idea that you get something for it is not really relevant. The fact is, if you went there for 5 days and went no further than the airport and didn't eat or drink anything you would still have to pay 250 x 5.

Everything is preplanned. You’ve already paid for it. It’s not a tax, it’s a package tour.

• Thumbs Up 1