Don't cut off the hands that feeds you

Just now, MeePeeMai said:

Why would you give up your Non-O status?  Just file an extension and keep it regardless of how many days in and out.

It's complicated, but I also want to switch my existing visa from UK passport to another nationality that I have, and I can't be bothered going through the hassle of applying agains.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

He should be grateful if Thailand implements the laws. The 22 million thonglor condo probably rents for 70,000 baht maximum. Probably saved this fool a lot of money long run.

You do not have a clue.
70k in Thong Lor rents you a 60m2 condo.

He's not a fool. A very smart business man.

Sure, in Isaan, you can build a mansion for 5 Million.

Have a look at Nana station, there is a condo, prices up to 140 Million Baht.

I had a look at Tree condo in Ekkamai. 68m2, 70k a month.

Edited by RafPinto
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Exactly. And that is the price for 60-70sqm 22 million thonglor condo that rents out for 70,000 baht a month. I can send you the endless links.

Also, I do not live in Isaan, I live in Ekkamai. I rent a 9 million baht condo for 26,000 a month. 

I totally believe he is a smart businessman, but like every other fool that comes to Thailand he is absolutely clueless. 

Really.
Have a look at S47. 

Rent 120k a month.

Happy for you. 26k in Ekkamai is a good deal.
Have a look at Tree condo in Ekkamai.
60m2 2 bed, 2 bath.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Really.
Have a look at S47. 

Rent 120k a month.

Happy for you. 26k in Ekkamai is a good deal.
Have a look at Tree condo in Ekkamai.
60m2 2 bed, 2 bath.

Which tree? I live close to "Tree" on Sukhumvit 40. Surely not that one.

Also the 120,000 rent for S47 is for large units that cost close to 29 million, not 22. Rent in Thailand is very negotiable. Anyway, that building seems to be a bit of an exception as it looks to be owner occupied mostly.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

I had a 20,000 baht apartment in one building and my workmate had a similar sized apartment, same management company, 50 meters away from my building, and her rent was 120K

Sometimes you can find this price difference in the same building.

Now I know why.

21 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Now I know why.

Human nature...  The company's paying so the employee doesn't do much diligence.  The agent makes a lot more money leasing the expensive ones, so they don't even show the cheaper ones in the same building.

50 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Which tree? I live close to "Tree" on Sukhumvit 40. Surely not that one.

Also the 120,000 rent for S47 is for large units that cost close to 29 million, not 22. Rent in Thailand is very negotiable. Anyway, that building seems to be a bit of an exception as it looks to be owner occupied mostly.

I mentioned the wrong condo in Ekkamai.
Not Tree but Rhythm.
68m2 easy around 50-60k in rent.
If you only pay 22k, that must be in an old building.
Can you name the building you are renting in Ekkamai at 22k?

Would be interested.

39 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Now I know why.

My friend worked at the embassy.

Rent was paid through work and the price was 125k

Another friend's wife who is a lawyer from the UK, working here for an oil company, their rent is 118k a month, also paid through ex-pat package.

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I think everyone knows thailand is incompetent, but the point is that people are tired of ever changing rules and the lack of a stable climate.

I know a lot people who start to experiment living in vietnam etc instead, this is already a trend since before covid, only get worse by the Year.

Same thailand is more quiet by the year.

I thought about VN too but very difficult to get a visa.
Malaysia on the other hand...

3 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

My friend worked at the embassy.

Rent was paid through work and the price was 125k

Another friend's wife who is a lawyer from the UK, working here for an oil company, their rent is 118k a month, also paid through ex-pat package.

There's a foreign employment consultancy that seems to have pegged 120-125K as the correct amount for expat rent in Bangkok.   Real estate agents love to see them coming...

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Exactly. And that is the price for 60-70sqm 22 million thonglor condo that rents out for 70,000 baht a month. I can send you the endless links.

3.81% return on investment gross, less tax, outgoings, vacancy factor, agents fees, etc, etc, I would say that would bring that down to say 2.0% nett.

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

I totally believe he is a smart businessman, but like every other fool that comes to Thailand he is absolutely clueless. 

I agree on the 2nd part of your comment.

Having had over 3 decades in the coal face of property, in all facets, I wouldn't invest my money in property here, been here 8 years and from what I have seen, analysed, it's not a good investment, regardless is you live in it or lease it.

While rents are a cheaper alternative, the money you money you would have laid out on your 'investment', say 22,000,000 could have been invested in other vehicles, for example; I have been earning 7.65% tax free from my investments this year, which is considered one of the worst in the 8 years that I have been investing, but am grateful, as it is a good return on money invested by me. 

Capital appreciation on property here is not good in my opinion, so other investments which also have no outgoings are a sound bet as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

You do not have a clue.
70k in Thong Lor rents you a 60m2 condo.

He's not a fool. A very smart business man.

Sure, in Isaan, you can build a mansion for 5 Million.

Have a look at Nana station, there is a condo, prices up to 140 Million Baht.

I had a look at Tree condo in Ekkamai. 68m2, 70k a month.

We rented a 2br/2ba there in 2015 for 40k/month. Moved out after 1 year contract ended. Very thin walls in that place. Close to BTS and Gateway but we moved to PK down the way and slashed our rent in half. Was well worth the move. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, khunjake said:

We rented a 2br/2ba there in 2015 for 40k/month. Moved out after 1 year contract ended. Very thin walls in that place. Close to BTS and Gateway but we moved to PK down the way and slashed our rent in half. Was well worth the move. 

A 2br 80sqm lake view with private direct elevator access in vietnam is like 25k lol

IMG_5014.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1