Gaza 'soon without fuel, medicine and food' - Israel authorities

Social Media

image.png

The Gaza Strip could be on the brink of a new humanitarian crisis if supplies are not allowed in, authorities say, as Israel responds to the Hamas attacks.

On Monday, Israel declared a "complete siege" on the territory, saying electricity, food, fuel and water would be cut off.

According to residents, aid has not reached the enclave since Saturday.

BBC footage shows deserted streets covered with rubble from collapsed buildings following Israeli airstrikes.

Nearly 700 people have died in these attacks and thousands more are reported to have been injured.

The area is home to about 2.3 million people in total - 80% of whom rely on humanitarian aid mainly due to the ongoing hostilities with Israel.

It is ruled by Hamas militants but Israel controls the airspace and its shoreline. It also restricts who and what goods can cross its borders.

Neighbouring Egypt strictly controls what or who can pass through its border with Gaza too.

Since the attacks began on Saturday morning, Israel has stopped all supplies entering Gaza, including food and medicine.

Stéphane Dujarric, spokesman for the UN secretary-general, said more than a dozen healthcare workers had been killed or injured and at least seven medical centres had been damaged.

Meanwhile, many people are currently without electricity and internet, and could soon be out of essential food and water supplies.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Undertaking a terrorist attacking on Israeli civilians that they absolutely knew would result in an Israeli military response.

Of course, they know it!

And it may well be part of the plan. An Israeli attack would further antagonize public opinions, both inside and outside Palestinian territories, to the benefit of extremist players such as Hamas.

There is also a faction inside Hamas thinking that instead of managing an open air prison on behalf of Israel, they'd better leave Israel manage the mess itself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

So much concern for Palestinian civilians. Much more that their own leadership displays. Much more than expressed toward Israeli civilians.

I'd like to think we're better than that.   Because if we're not, what's the point?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Simple statistics tell us there's a bunch of 6 year old Palestinian kids living in Gaza.  Do they deserve to be killed?  What about unarmed teenage Palestinian girls?

Oh no, of course not. Their father and mother could be out murdering and kidnapping mothers and other people's children, but their own kids need to be protected. Is that your argument?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Trippy said:

Oh no, of course not. Their father and mother could be out murdering and kidnapping mothers and other people's children, but their own kids need to be protected. Is that your argument?

No.  My argument is that there are over 2 million people living in Gaza.  Over 99% of them didn't kill anyone this week. The ones that did, need to be eradicated.  The ones who armed and supported them as well. 

But not the vast majority, who have absolutely no say in what happens.  They're just living as best they can, mostly permanent residents of refugee camps.  But that's another topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

No.  My argument is that there are over 2 million people living in Gaza.  Over 99% of them didn't kill anyone this week. The ones that did, need to be eradicated.  The ones who armed and supported them as well. 

But not the vast majority, who have absolutely no say in what happens.  They're just living as best they can, mostly permanent residents of refugee camps.  But that's another topic.

I see your point and agree with you. That's the problem with terrorist attacks, so many innocents are caught up in it. At least with 2 armies fighting the soldiers have uniforms. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

You reap what you sow................"the 1948 Nakba, or the ethnic cleansing of Palestine where an estimated 15,000 Palestinians were killed, including in dozens of massacres". 

Not saying it is right, but both sides are guilty of the massacre of innocents.

By that logic, Hamas and the Palestinian got no right to complain now (see the headline, and op).

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes, Hamas must have known that there would be severe retaliation, possibly multiplied many times over to that which they initiated, so am puzzled as to why they did it.

On the other hand, the Palestinians have been treated badly for decades, sold out by the British after they fought against the Turks, then sold out again in the 1947 "United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine" by mainly the US and Britain, then in the 1948 Nakba, or the ethnic cleansing of Palestine where an estimated 15,000 Palestinians were killed, including in dozens of massacres.

The Zionist movement captured 78 percent of historic Palestine. The remaining 22 percent was divided into what are now the occupied West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip.

When a race of people is subjugated and mistreated over decades, then something is bound to give, therefore Hamas doing what they did.

I'm not saying that I agree with what they are doing, just that the world has stood by whilst the Palestinians have been grossly mistreated.

Don't conflate the Gazans with the West Bank Palestinians. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Don't conflate the Gazans with the West Bank Palestinians. 

The population of the West Bank and Gaza is almost completely Palestinian Arab. The bulk of these are Sunni Muslims: 92 percent of West Bankers and 99 percent of Gazans, with the rest Christians. In addition to the Palestinian population, approximately 214,000 Jewish settlers live in the West Bank and Gaza, according to the Foundation for Middle East Peace in Washington, D.C.

Not sure what your point was? 

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes, Hamas must have known that there would be severe retaliation, possibly multiplied many times over to that which they initiated, so am puzzled as to why they did it.

That's why I wrote in another thread "there must be more to the story"

I wonder if Hamas wants to provoke some kind of casus belli, if Israel goes hard on Gaza and Hamas, which countries would intervene to defend Palestinians ?

7 minutes ago, tgw said:

That's why I wrote in another thread "there must be more to the story"

I wonder if Hamas wants to provoke some kind of casus belli, if Israel goes hard on Gaza and Hamas, which countries would intervene to defend Palestinians ?

That's a possible scenario tgw, but until we know for certain, it's still a bit of a mystery.

I notice that I got a bit of pushback to my post, however I wasn't trying to defend any actions from any side, other than to point out that both sides are culpable and capable of inflicting horrific injuries on each other, by whichever means they are perpetrated.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tgw said:

after Hamas' actions, it will be difficult to find people that support the massacre of civilian people in their homes, foreign workers at their work or music festival goers.

yes, Palestinians were treated badly.

But what's missing on the Palestinian side is the conditions for long lasting peace and stability.

What does Palestine need to become a stable country, content with its borders ? What will it take ?

As far as I understood the Palestine conflict, they don't even have leaders who agree on what they want besides kicking Israel out of Israel.

You are right about public opinion in Western countries, probably not in Arab or Muslim countries.

For reasons I evoked, they have laid à kind of trop, and Israeli authorities are also aware of it

Hamas is certainly not looking for a solution. Unlike Fatah, they don't even want a two States solution. As other extremists organisations, they are more looking for exacerbing the conflict and justifying their existence 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Egypt also is responsible for the deaths of Palestinians in Gaza by not letting them flee as refugees.

Shame on them.

Shame on Egypt?

How about shame on the Israeli governments over the decades for all their attempts at genocide and the absolutely complete control over a population who are fighting to regain what they once had. their own country which was, and still is, being stolen from them on a daily basis. 

An even bigger shame on the western countries who support Israel and have done for decades.

And an even bigger shame on the warmongering governments of Israel for doing it coldly, deliberately and with malice aforethought

Every living member of the Knesset should stand before the international court in the Hague, where the Germans stood in the courtroom at Nuremberg, and be accused of war crimes and genocide.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1