Prime Minister Srettha should listen to the experts on cash handout

webfact

image.jpeg

In the lead-up to the 2023 general election, the Pheu Thai Party had campaigned on the slogan kid yai, tum pen, Pheu Thai took khon. The official translation of this slogan was think big, act smart, for all Thais. 

We have an abundance of evidence now that Pheu Thai and its predecessors were capable of thinking big. This is not a party for the timid policymaker. Thaksin virtually invented the playbook of economic populism in Thailand, and universal healthcare was realized under Thai Rak Thai, after all. But whether the party is acting smart, currently, is much more open for debate.

The major point of contention? Pheu Thai’s policy to hand out 10,000 baht to every person in Thailand above the age of 16. The backlash in which this promise has evoked is ferocious. Deservedly so. It is an ill-considered policy that has all the potential of becoming an unmitigated disaster. 

Handing out cash and putting them directly in the pockets of Thais is not a new concept, of course. The Abhisit Vejjajiva administration was probably the first to pioneer such a scheme with the Check Chuay Chart program, while the Prayut Chan-o-cha government’s Khon La Krueng scheme proved highly popular. The difference between those two programs and Pheu Thai’s plan is that both came as a response to economic crises — the Great Recession and the COVID lockdowns, respectively. With an economy already in recovery, what Pheu Thai’s policy is responding to is much less clear. 

by Ken Mathis Lohatepanont

Full story: THAI ENQUIRER 2023-10-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

Every day opposition to this scheme increases.

It will be interesting to see who blinks first.

Some talk yesterday about "the rich" being excluded.

I think Srettha is way out of his depth here, he - I think - really believes that this will stimulate the economy. And "believers", who are often wrong, are unwilling to compromise.

It will be easy to stall this, either via the legislature or the courts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Only 11% of the workforce pay tax, only 4% pay tax via the equivalent of PAYE. VAT is the biggest tax earner, followed by corporate/business tax.

thanks for the clarification mate! 

4% .... wow.

I hope srettha has a money tree in his garden cos its gonna take some serious shaking to get the required funds!

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Only 11% of the workforce pay tax, only 4% pay tax via the equivalent of PAYE. VAT is the biggest tax earner, followed by corporate/business tax.

But only 1% is unemployed.

Hmmmm........

How interesting.

Funny math.

Every Farang mug should think about this if their bargirl should convince them to open a business or buy a property.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Deservedly so. It is an ill-considered policy that has all the potential of becoming an unmitigated disaster. 

Srettha is thinking up ways for every man and dog to pay for this promise.. Expats included.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Countries have been giving out free money for many many years... they are called benefits in the West. They come from taxes,,,,,, and coincidentally, Thailand appears to be dreaming up a few new ones of those!

There's only some much true wealth to go around.

.....and after that this supposed wealth and subsequent economies become highly fabricated and falsified - relying largely on the deluded fantasies in which we seek. 

It's quite apparent that economies the world over use this practice as normalcy. 

Seems like he is not listening to anyone, 'experts' or otherwise.  Giveaway scheme is awful, new tax proposals even worse.  Plenty of ways to raise revenue, starting with all the valuable land masquerading as 'farm land' with a few banana plants on it, avoiding bigger taxes.  Property taxes could also be raised moderately and bring in a lot more revenue.  I know we paid a pittance last year and I wouldn't have minded paying more if they laid off taxing my imported income as a tradeoff.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

There's only some much true wealth to go around.

.....and after that this supposed wealth and subsequent economies become highly fabricated and falsified - relying largely on the deluded fantasies in which we seek. 

It's quite apparent that economies the world over use this practice as normalcy. 

A different take on the subject

• Love It 1

Another dumb policy. They just can't help themselves. They learned nothing from the rice scheme and the other populist policies that wrecked the national budget and had no long-term benefits because Puea Thai thinks a 10,000 baht handout is going to make the people forget  how badly they've been betrayed.

VAT does not collect as much as you think.eg:

If I buy for 80 Bht & sell for 100 Bht I pay VAT only on the 20 Bht margin Ie: 20 Bht.

If VAT was 10% that would only be 2 Bht.

If you wanna see where big money comes into Government have a look at what the breweries & 

spirit manufacturers pay in excise, importers of spirits & fags,  & even road tax receipts

17 hours ago, mikebell said:

Farang pensioners bringing in their savings to help power the local economy.

I thought the main reason why farang pensioners bring in their savings or pensions is to enjoy a better life than back in their home country. I didn't know it is actually to help Thailand's economy, thanks for this insight.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I thought the main reason why farang pensioners bring in their savings or pensions is to enjoy a better life than back in their home country. I didn't know it is actually to help Thailand's economy, thanks for this insight.

I moved back home and have a better life than I had in Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bob smith said:

silly policy that will bankrupt the economy.

where does he think the money is going to come from to finance it?

I wish you the best, Thailand.

Everything that will happen to you in the foreseeable future is of your own making.

so expalin the process by which you think that will happen....

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

so expalin the process by which you think that will happen....

Government borrows more to pay for their financial incentives and public debt soars from the current 60% to over 80%. Borrowings have to be serviced, interest paid on the debt and the capital repaid which stresses budgets. The higher debt levels puts downward pressure on the Baht, imported oil costs them more so this results in higher borrowings, eg The Fuel Subsidy Fund debt which becomes unaffordable and is removed, costing consumers more and causing consumer debt levels to increase which in turn stresses the banks. A weaker currency results in exports earning less, that means less income for exporters and less money flowing into the Foreign Currency Reserves which begin to reduce. Budgets are reduced, services are cut, debt increases and the currency devalues itself under the strain.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1