Thai Air Force Faces Challenges Repatriating Citizens from Conflict Zones in Israel

webfact

image.jpeg

National — The Royal Thai Air Force asserted that they will repatriate Thai citizens home from Israel who wish to return, however, they currently face difficulties accessing the territorial sky in some countries. The process will take more time but puts the safety of relevant officers and refugees into great consideration.

On October 11th, 2023, Air Chf Mshl Panpakdee Pattanakul, Commander of the Royal Thai Air Force, spoke about a repatriation mission of Thai citizens in Israel. The Thai Air Force was well-prepared since the war between Hamas and the State of Israel erupted on October 7th, 2023. Initially, there were Airbus A340s and C-130s in a total of 6 units, and medical staff members on board ready to repatriate Thai nationals who wanted to come home.

As for the departure times, the details could not be disclosed due to security reasons. But, the repatriation flights would be immediately right after their arrivals in Israel.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-10-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I noted the news yesterday that Hungary managed 2 military flights last Sunday and a 3rd flight later that same day (3 flights/4 days ago). God forbid the Thai military ever need to participate in a conflict on the other side of the world. it would be over before they got there.  Is this the "3rd way" of avoiding conflict? I feel there is more to this story than is being printed here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Hope people realise the evacusees have to pay the cost before they get on, i know this as a fact, during the covid was evacuated from kazakhstan on a repatriation flight cost 400 us to thailand

Generally, yes. However, this guy is Israeli, and say what you will of them - their Embassies often go the extra mile (and then some) helping out with many such issues. If he doesn't have the funds, they'll almost certainly sort him somehow, either directly or connect him with others who would.

If he was just vandalizing I'd say throw him in a cell, but if mental issues involved easier all around to send him home and let his country deal with it.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I noted the news yesterday that Hungary managed 2 military flights last Sunday and a 3rd flight later that same day (3 flights/4 days ago). God forbid the Thai military ever need to participate in a conflict on the other side of the world. it would be over before they got there.  Is this the "3rd way" of avoiding conflict? I feel there is more to this story than is being printed here.

I think this is a serious case of CBA combined with the fact these are poor Thais that are trapped.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I think this is a serious case of CBA combined with the fact these are poor Thais that are trapped.

Not trapped... Flights from BKK from Tel Aviv are still open using Israel national carrier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Not trapped... Flights from BKK from Tel Aviv are still open using Israel national carrier.

I haven't heard a whisper from Thai Airways. Nok Air and Air Asia are scheduled to help but not the national airline? The new government will be starting to get a complex about the lack of apparent urgency to help Thai nationals from both the military and the national airline. I hope my perceptions are wrong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Hope people realise the evacusees have to pay the cost before they get on, i know this as a fact, during the covid was evacuated from kazakhstan on a repatriation flight cost 400 us to Thailand

So they should pay and be extremely grateful for the opportunity to get out of the troubled area.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

So they should pay and be extremely grateful for the opportunity to get out of the troubled area.

They get paid about 50k a month, a ticket is at least 30k, and probably more now with demand rising. The Thai Government could easily subsidize it, grant it, or whatever. Shouldn't be a huge issue diverting a couple of Thai airways planes for a few back and forth runs.

5 hours ago, rbkk said:

It would be over whilst they overorganize and conduct various ceremonies etc.

5 hours ago, rbkk said:

Flight from Israel to Cyprus. From there ppl had to find their own way. ????

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Take a look at the countries they fly over.  Pakistan Afghanistan and Irait may have more to do with international restrictions than Thailand 

There are several possible routes. El Al (the Israeli carrier) flies to Thailand regularly - and they do not enter any of these countries' air space. Flight is longer, though. Maybe an issue if they insist on c-130?

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Flight from Israel to Cyprus. From there ppl had to find their own way. ????

They, and their families, must have been very grateful  to have received assistance out of a war zone. I believe Cyprus has consulates, embassies and connecting transport links.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Thai Air Force is late to the game in arranging flight clearance.  Simply not prepared for rapid deployment to outside of Thailand. Being able to deploy/engage rapidly involves a lot more than just being able to assemble rapidly at a take-off point such as a Thai air base.

• Like 1