Police Road Blocks/Stops

MangoKorat

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

After getting cited a few times for no helmet or license, then many would eventually comply. 

No they don't - why?  Because its 50 or 100 baht - or all they have if they don't have enough.

If you're ever in Korat (City) overnight, go to the main road (old mitraphap) not far from 'The Mall' in the morning when the kids are on their way to school.  12/14 year old kids, 3 up on a motorbike, no helmets, underage, god knows what else but a very good chance none of the lights work - on their way to school, weaving their way up to the front of the lights where the junction is controlled by at least 2 cops every school morning.  Do they pull them? No - just ignore them.  That junction is covered by the city's cameras - much better to do dedicated roadside 'checks' away from the cameras. The kids know the cops are there every morning and that they do nothing. The schools must also know - 12 year olds parking their bikes.

• Like 1

Just drove Highway 11, and Highways 1 & 31 today, Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Four highway spots but only two operating. First one, waved through. Second one just a hello, as my Thai Wife said she was from the Bangkok area … a handshake and off we went. Personally, I do not find Highway stops objectionable whether on the motorbike (always with our helmets) or in the car.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Just drove Highway 11, and Highways 1 & 31 today, Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Four highway spots but only two operating. First one, waved through. Second one just a hello, as my Thai Wife said she was from the Bangkok area … a handshake and off we went. Personally, I do not find Highway stops objectionable whether on the motorbike (always with our helmets) or in the car.

'Some' of them are highly objectionable....   just over the brow of a hill or just round a bend.... forcing 3 lanes (or two) of fast moving traffic to suddenly slow to queuing...    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

'Some' of them are highly objectionable....   just over the brow of a hill or just round a bend.... forcing 3 lanes (or two) of fast moving traffic to suddenly slow to queuing...    

You forgot.......at rush hour.

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I only addressed my current experience on the highways mentioned. Thai drivers were a far greater threat than slowing down from 120 kph for the police highway constrictions.

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The DUI checkpoints and the Helmet check points are of course a good thing, IF they actually work... But they don't....  the Police just take a fine and allow the rider / driver to continue - this is not safety, its just money.

We don't see the police riding / driving around and pulling people over for no helmet... we see helmetless riders at traffic lights infront of a police booth and the police do nothing.

We see drivers who appear drunk, can't stay in their lanes and drive erratically... Police officers behind them or passing them etc on a motorcycle do nothing. 

We see riders and drivers jump lights in front of the police who do nothing. 

We see polluting busses / trucks belching out smoke and the Police do nothing because they have the 'sticker' which shows they have paid the bribe.

Once we get down to the nuts and bolts of it - policing in Thailand has nothing to do with policing and everything to do with supplementing their otherwise meagre income - this behavior is so ingrained, the BiB act with overwhelming entitlement. over, they get paid. 

-------------

In over 20 years, only one time have I known a moving vehicle to be pulled over by a Policeman (in a car or bike) - we were travelling in from the Suvarnabumi Airport in an AOT minivan.... 

A policeman on a motorcycle pulled the van over - I wanted the driver to exit the motorway at the next junction instead of stopping precariously on the side of the road... he wouldn't.... I was furious them (both policeman and driver) placing my family and I in such a precarious position. 

The reason for the stop...  (something I've never heard before) - Minivan taxi's are not permitted in the right most lane of the motorway (complete BS IMO) - the Policeman demanded 200 baht from the driver....  

IMO... this was outrageous lack of safety awareness and appeared to be disgusting corruption.

I was furious them (both policeman and driver) placing my family and I in such a precarious position. 

Taking your family on the roads here does that.

You over analise things Dicky.... 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think thats the general attitude of the BiB towards Westerners in Cars in Thailand.

They're just not bothered as they know foreigners driving have been here for a while, know the rules and generally follow them.

That's not how it used to be though - being pulled in was a regular occurrence.

I was once pulled over/stopped twice within 15 minutes - both times for BS reasons.

First time was joining the expressway from Rama 4.  Not sure if its the same now but you used to drive under the expressway to join it (junction before Lumpini Park, Rama 4 West bound).  At that time immediately you drove under there was a choice of lanes with the destination of each lane arrowed on the concrete wall in front of you.  At the time I could not speak any Thai but I had a Thai friend with me. As soon as we drove under the expressway with the arrows on the wall in front of us, a policemen jumped out and stopped me.  He told my Thai friend we were in the wrong lane and he had to fine me. There was just one problem with that - he hadn't asked where we were going, how could he say we were in the wrong lane? I won't repeat what I said but I didn't pay any fine.

Second time, 10 to 15 minutes later, we passed through a toll and as we did I saw a cop look at me, lift his radio to his mouth and say something into it.  I'd had this 'scam' before so I knew what was coming.  I told my friend that we would most likely be pulled over at the next toll, she asked me how I knew - just watch I said. Next toll, paid, drove through, pulled over!  This cop spoke English and told me I had been driving too fast and had to pay a fine.  As I knew what was coming, I knew damned well that I had not been driving too fast.  I asked him where his evidence was - all of a sudden his English was poor.  A little more back and forth chat and he, realising he was getting nowhere with this 'farang' that dared to question him, said "OK sir, we have to go talk with the big boss".   I told my friend to get out of the car and locked it up.  The cop stood there looking lost for what to say, he clearly had no intention of taking me to see the 'big boss' and expected the prospect to worry me.  He then patted me on the shoulder and said "OK but cha cha (slowly) na".

I, and just about every other foreigner I knew at the time was pulled over on a regular basis but it seems to be different now. I have no idea why, its not that they've realised we won't pay because plenty used to pay them. I never have, not when I know I've done nothing wrong.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

That's not how it used to be though - being pulled in was a regular occurrence.

I've been driving here for 20 years (mostly in Bangkok), but have driven all over.

I've been pulled over while driving, but could never say its a regular occurrence... perhaps about 5 or 6 times in 20 years.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

I was once pulled over/stopped twice within 15 minutes - both times for BS reasons.

First time was joining the expressway from Rama 4.  Not sure if its the same now but you used to drive under the expressway to join it (junction before Lumpini Park, Rama 4 West bound).  At that time immediately you drove under there was a choice of lanes with the destination of each lane arrowed on the concrete wall in front of you.  At the time I could not speak any Thai but I had a Thai friend with me. As soon as we drove under the expressway with the arrows on the wall in front of us, a policemen jumped out and stopped me.  He told my Thai friend we were in the wrong lane and he had to fine me. There was just one problem with that - he hadn't asked where we were going, how could he say we were in the wrong lane? I won't repeat what I said but I didn't pay any fine.

Second time, 10 to 15 minutes later, we passed through a toll and as we did I saw a cop look at me, lift his radio to his mouth and say something into it.  I'd had this 'scam' before so I knew what was coming.  I told my friend that we would most likely be pulled over at the next toll, she asked me how I knew - just watch I said. Next toll, paid, drove through, pulled over!  This cop spoke English and told me I had been driving too fast and had to pay a fine.  As I knew what was coming, I knew damned well that I had not been driving too fast.  I asked him where his evidence was - all of a sudden his English was poor.  A little more back and forth chat and he, realising he was getting nowhere with this 'farang' that dared to question him, said "OK sir, we have to go talk with the big boss".   I told my friend to get out of the car and locked it up.  The cop stood there looking lost for what to say, he clearly had no intention of taking me to see the 'big boss' and expected the prospect to worry me.  He then patted me on the shoulder and said "OK but cha cha (slowly) na".

I, and just about every other foreigner I knew at the time was pulled over on a regular basis but it seems to be different now. I have no idea why, its not that they've realised we won't pay because plenty used to pay them. I never have, not when I know I've done nothing wrong.

I'm curios - where was this 'farang targeting' you mention ?

You definately handled it the right way...  there are of course plenty of scamming policemen about - but I've just never felt they specifically target Westerners...  those scamming police officers are indiscriminate, they'll target anyone for anything, Thai or otherwise and as soon as they realise the 'mark' is not an 'easy mark' they're ready to wave us along... 

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've been driving here for 20 years (mostly in Bangkok), but have driven all over.

I've been pulled over while driving, but could never say its a regular occurrence... perhaps about 5 or 6 times in 20 years.

You definately handled it the right way...  there are of course plenty of scamming policemen about - but I've just never felt they specifically target Westerners...  those scamming police officers are indiscriminate, they'll target anyone for anything, Thai or otherwise and as soon as they realise the 'mark' is not an 'easy mark' they're ready to wave us along... 

First was as I said - joining the expressway from Rama 4 near Lumpini.

Second was on the expressway not long after joining -  we were heading for Rayong and if I remember correctly I'd gone the wrong way so left and re-joined in the correct direction. I couldn't swear to whether we were stopped before or after we finally went in the right direction.  The signs were not so good in those days - you'd see 1 in Thai/English then the next 5 would be Thai only - it could be quite challenging at times if you didn't know your way :biggrin:.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another favourite with them was on Highway 2 in Korat just north of the fork to Khon Kaen. They used to pull just about everyone (foreign) over there and show you a photo of your car.  Just a photo mind, no speed recorded on the photo.  If you challenged it they would say you either pay 200 baht or you have to go back 5km to the photo point.  I did my own 'hybrid' version, I'd tell them I would go back to the photo point but I didn't. As the stop was a scam, I doubt they even watched to see if I u-turned - I was a lost cause to them by that point. I never heard anything afterwards on any of the 4 or 5 times I was stopped at the same place.

I will admit to having paid once on Rama 3.  That was for not indicating right in a right turning only lane - I kid you not. There was a massive concrete wall stopping you from going straight on, no point in indicating whatsoever, it was a sort of u-turn controlled by traffic lights.  I argued the toss with the guy and he was clearly about to give up when he spotted my mother-in-law wasn't wearing a seat belt - banged to rights, 200 baht!

Edited by MangoKorat

Just now, MangoKorat said:

First was as I said - joining the expressway from Rama 4 near Lumpini.

Second was on the expressway not long after joining -  we were heading for Rayong and if I remember correctly I'd gone the wrong way so left and re-joined in the correct direction. I couldn't swear to whether we were stopped before or after we finally went in the right direction.  The signs were not so good in those days - you'd see 1 in Thai/English then the next 5 would be Thai only - it could be quite challenging at times if you didn't know your way :biggrin:.

Driving around well before sat-nav existed was interesting...   Trying to find golf courses with a handheld map that never quite matched the streets !!!... 

I had the chancers pull me over for speeding, but there was no way they knew I was a foreigner driving (they also pulled over the car I was following - I suspect they just paid as they were out of there fairly quick)...

It took a little longer with me, I was stubborn. They couldn't tell me the speed I was doing...  they realised they were getting no-where and with a 'drive slowly' I was waved on my way (as you were)... 

Other times I was actually at fault...

- (Bangkok) Not wearing seatbelt asked for 2000 baht fine - (argued and didn't pay - this one was an obvious scam, we were wearing belts,)

- (Bangkok) Tax out of date (Paid 100 B and drove off with the BiB still asking for 200 Baht !)

- (Bangkok) Right turn (from the middle lane - going around the queue of traffic) - (BiB not interested when he saw I was foreign)

- (Bangkok) Turning left from (from the middle lane - going around the queue of traffic) - (Paid 200 baht - no talking my way out of that one)

- (Khon Kaen) Stopped for being in the right hand lane (left most lane had pot holes) - (Didn't pay)

- (Pattaya) Stopped for being in the right hand lane (had over taken a lorry and another was ahead) - (Didn't pay)

- (Trat) Accused of Speeding (story above) - (didn't pay)

- (Expressways) Speed / white line Camera fine (lost count !!!)

With regards to check-points:

Driving: I've never been stopped..  Just waved through every one.

As a taxi passenger:  At a Check-point I was once asked what was in my bag (football kit - I was on my way home from a game).

As a passenger: Taxi stopped (Asoke), I was asked to get out (I refused) they wanted my passport (I didnt have it) - ended up calling a friend.

As a passenger (2x): In Thonglor area at night - BiB (2 up) on a motorbike pulled over my taxi - asked where I was going (home), they asked for my passport... No...   they gave up and rode off.

I think thats it for 25 years of being here...  Nothing major.. 

Also an accident, where the police were fair.

• Haha 1

I guess it all depends where you are,

Here in Khon Kaen even as recent as a couple of months they would set up on the ring road right before the intersection to Mittraphap rd, they mostly checked windshields for registration stickers, suspicious looking vehicles and badly loaded trucks, and bikes. 

We are always waved on. In my almost 20 years in Thailand I have been pulled over 2 times . both for speeding, and I was guilty both times. 

Just the other day , the wife mentioned that we have not seen the police at the checkpoint for a while. She said that it must be the new goverment,. I am not sure why but, now that I think of it,  I   have not seen  them around for a while also also.

Oh, just remembered - there was one other time that I paid - more for the fun than anything else.

I was in a rented pick up just outside Surin on my way back to Khao Yai - lots of checkpoints around there, often looking for illegals.  Copper starts pointing at my windsreen and saying "parsee, parsee" - I looked over, no tax sticker, I hadn't noticed when I picked the truck up.  So I decided to play dumb "no understand", "parsee, parsee" - "sorry I don't speak Thai", "parsee, parsee" - this went on for a while until he was clearly getting angry.  He didn't believe a word and I don't blame him - here's a foreigner, alone in a Chonburi registered truck, single cab and miles off the usual tourist routes, claiming he doesn't understand Thai. He knows very well that I'm not a tourist.

Frustrated, he shouted "PARSEE, PARSEE" - to which I shouted back "MAI KHAO JAI"...........damn, blown it!! "Ahhh" he says, big grins all round, holds his hand out, slipped him 200 and on my way. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

(Bangkok) Tax out of date (Paid 100 B and drove off with the BiB still asking for 200 Baht !)

- (Bangkok) Right turn (from the middle lane - going around the queue of traffic) - (BiB not interested when he saw I was foreign)

- (Bangkok) Turning left from (from the middle lane - going around the queue of traffic) - (Paid 200 baht - no talking my way out of that one)

The uneducated would say you've been in Thailand too long, you're now driving like they do.  However, sometimes it the only way.  I wouldn't dream of driving in the UK, the same way I do in Thailand but you just have to.

I used to sit behind that car doing 60kmh in the outside lane on the motorway, flashing my lights for kilometer after kilometer.  Now I just undertake and weave through the traffic the same as they do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They were banned from putting up checkpoints during COVID. 

They are back now around the Pattaya area, but now have to be done more officially in most places. 

Tourists are still fair game for extortion in central Pattaya though.

Well, not quite, before Covid a communication went out that traffic check points couldn't just be set up on a whim by local, end of the month police, but needed authorisation. Around here at least, we noticed an immediate effect. I sort of missed those cops that got to know me and just waved me through. 

I once got stopped for 'weaving along the road' which I couldn't deny as that road was full of potholes. I gave him  ฿200 for creativity.

17 hours ago, cooked said:

Well, not quite, before Covid a communication went out that traffic check points couldn't just be set up on a whim by local, end of the month police, but needed authorisation.

Yes, come to think of it, I seem to remember that.

hit 3 in 2 days in phuket this last week. 

slipped through all 3 wearing my somchai gear. 

faded hoodie - check

30b finger cut out gloves - check

adda sandals - check

raggaty jeans - check

i could see the check points a few hundred meters away. down goes the sun visor on my helmet and my somchai transformation is complete. nice friendly wave through and a smile by the local bib and i'm on my way. 

is that cultural appropriation ? 

ps.... i'm dead serious about the outfit. 

On 11/30/2023 at 8:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

- (Bangkok) Not wearing seatbelt asked for 2000 baht fine - (argued and didn't pay - this one was an obvious scam, we were wearing belts,)

- (Bangkok) Tax out of date (Paid 100 B and drove off with the BiB still asking for 200 Baht !)

- (Khon Kaen) Stopped for being in the right hand lane (left most lane had pot holes) - (Didn't pay)

- (Pattaya) Stopped for being in the right hand lane (had over taken a lorry and another was ahead) - (Didn't pay)

- (Trat) Accused of Speeding (story above) - (didn't pay)

- (Expressways) Speed / white line Camera fine (lost count !!!)

Could you be a bit more precise pls.