Digital Wallet plan could break up the government before it launches says top Thai political pundit

webfact

Most holders of the levers of power here (legislative, business, financial, judicial, academic, ultra-royalists) seem to be against this scheme.

Maybe Krungthai Bank is on board as they will manage the disbursements.

Might it survive in some limited fashion as a welfare scheme? Maybe.

But the original proposal was flawed and no one really believed in it, so it's toast.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

How would half the country access it in villages a lot with no electricity, wifi, phones or even bank accounts ffs!!!

Are you suggesting there are villages here with no electricity or banks available?

4 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Are you suggesting there are villages here with no electricity or banks available?

Yes. I know family member living in the jungle by a dam lake, in a wooden hut with no electricity or running water. Many poor in this country which nobody sees.

6 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

How would half the country access it in villages a lot with no electricity, wifi, phones or even bank accounts ffs!!!

15 year's ago there was still no reliable mobile signal in the mother-in-law's Isaan village but all networks are there now. At the same time there were also some villages without electricity in Isaan but I think now there are only a few in mountainous areas. 

But villagers without a smart phone will be a problem.  I expect that people like loan sharks will buy digital wallets forward at a discount, i.e. I will give you 5k for it today.

I am already missing the Prayut government.  They were ineffective but at least very conservative and cautious in changing things.  Right now a military coup wouldn't be such a bad thing to get rid of all these Thaksin appointed goons and put him in prison where he belongs. There is still a lese majeste case pending against him which the army said it would bring but they have dropped it for now.