Any "This is Thailand" Stories?

NoshowJones

Here's one to start off. I went into a stationers shop for a packet of envelopes, looked through the whole shop and could not

find any anywhere. the assistant could not speak English, but surely the first thing you would notice would be envelopes and writing pads

beside all the pens and pencils, of which there were plenty.

• Confused 3

16 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Here's one to start off. I went into a stationers shop for a packet of envelopes, looked through the whole shop and could not

find any anywhere. the assistant could not speak English, but surely the first thing you would notice would be envelopes and writing pads

Oh wow! What an experience! ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I folded up a piece of paper and made as if to put it in an envelope. 

She just shook her head as if to say no.

A bit like 'Give Us a Clue' 555

7-11s sell envelopes.

Edited by KannikaP

22 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

First photo is an electricity pole when they first fitted it end of September. I went to PEA and asked for it to be straightened. Second photo shows it now, after the 'repair'

image.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-13 at 13.53.11_2f98ef97.jpg

That's not even funny, it is just sad, if one can't even do this, then what can one do.

Recently I drove with an educated Thai woman in her car. We talked about traffic laws. She told me proudly that Thais are not afraid of those laws.

It seems it didn't cross her mind that the idea about those laws and regulations is to regulate the traffic that it is efficient and safe for everyone. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

When I complained AGAIN, the company who fitted the pole phoned my wife and told her that they would come to fix it FOR FREE if it falls over.

Again, sad, but equally as funny   

Did they also mention the damage, or potential dangerous situations as a result of the pole falling over? How would insurances think about that when needing to pay out if it caused a fire or fell on the house or a car.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Had some decorative panels stone clad a few years ago.

First panel completed by the leader of the 2 man team :

IMG_5188.thumb.jpeg.a3ac4aee28409b392e0dde2c428e6e49.jpeg

After I had given the okay he said he would start on the other 2 .

Had to go out but when we returned his “ assistant “ proudly showed us her handiwork on panel number 2 !!

IMG_5189.thumb.jpeg.37f3688bf75a2495e10cdc3bd76d4ff7.jpeg

These are so easy to put up I just do it myself making sure not to use any dud tiles or dark ones.

One of the experiences I had while our house was being built concerned the bathroom window. I usually oversaw work myself but one day had to go out for several hours and left the ' foreman ' in charge.

When I got back the exterior  bathroom wall was finished, without the window. The ' foreman ' was reading a newspaper. 

' Everything  OK ? '

' Yes ,everything  is OK '

I see. So what's  the plan ? Render and paint the wall first then knock out a hole for the window ? '

Only then did he notice what his idiot minion had done before balling him out and getting  half the bricks removed down to window level. 

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Wot, are you saying that the assistant couldn't even say: "Just moment"?

How long have you lived in Thailand?

There's someone who has tooooo much free time on their hands and very little usage for it.

what next? how to undo your fly in a hurry?...

• Haha 1

The Larger airmail ones?

A4 size Manila ones, or normal letter size.

It is a sticker which the Post Office puts on which determines Air Mail or not. I know, they used to be very thin and blue.