Opening a Bank Account.

No.

But someone will post that you can but they will need to provide details of bank, branch and how long ago.

For example, About 16 years ago, I was exchanging £10,000 in crisp new 20's to Baht at Bangkok Bank, Sai 2 in Pattaya, using their forex desk. The girl asked if I was depositing in an account, I said I didn't have one. She asked if I wanted to open one and I said OK. So she asked her supervisor who was busy with another customer. Her supervisor, without looking across, asked what visa I was on. The girl looked in my passport and confirmed that I was on a visa-exempt entry. The supervisor, without looking, said "Cannot."

A few minutes later, the supervisor who had dispensed with the other customer, looked across and seeing the pile of pounds, asked the girl how much I was exchanging. After the girl told her, the supervisor, looking at me for the first time, smiled and said, "Can."

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is so "rubbish" about the insurance policies?

Because they are rubbish, unwanted, of no value and should not be connected to the opening of any non connected financial transaction!

"...they are rubbish, unwanted, of no value..."

Do you have anything rational to base that on?  Are you saying the the policies offer no protection and have no benefits, i.e. they are fraudulent? If so, which particular policies, offered by which banks?

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

is that relevant 

It is 100% relevant.

If you post your location you will receive accurate advice.

For example in Bangkok you will not be able to open bank account from tourist visa or visa exempt entry. 

What's the big secret providing location..

Almost certainly you will need an agent. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

I, am simply looking to open a bank account, nothing complicated.

So naive.

It is complicated.

Then you state above get advice from mates re agent.

If you had stated location you may have received good advice.

For example if in Pattaya folks would have suggested various agents.

Same goes for other provinces.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So naive.

It is complicated.

Then you state above get advice from mates re agent.

If you had stated location you may have received good advice.

For example if in Pattaya folks would have suggested various agents.

Same goes for other provinces.

apologies and noted, yes Pattaya

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you have anything rational to base that on?  Are you saying the the policies offer no protection and have no benefits, i.e. they are fraudulent? If so, which particular policies, offered by which banks?

Have you got any knowledge to base that on? which policies do they make people buy for opening a bank account is good value?

The ones I've seen are PA insurance with very low medical cover, useless for farang, better to buy a better policy

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You could talk with agent such as Maneerat Soi 13/2.

If the bank account is required as first step to a non O.,,..be aware of difficulties with that in Jomtien. 

Thanks for these informed replies, very helpful.

Could I also deposit USD ( cash) and going forward make transfers out of Thailand ?

Thanks again

12 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

is that relevant 

Yes, Banks (Kasikorn and other banks in Central Fest) in Khon Kaen don't seem to have an issue with opening a bank to a tourist visa holder (reports from the past 10 months) - for example, you "may" want to convert your TV to a retirement or marriage extension, there are quite a lot of foreigners here, they seem to understand the need for immigration to see an account with seasoned funds. They do however need to see a certificate of residence - immigration issue them free to non-O holders (I have had 2x free certificates over the past 12 months) but charge 500B for TV holders (this may have changed in the recent immigration office shake up). 

I hope that gives you enough reasons, and enough details to demonstrate it is possible without an agent or a solicitor - but it all depends upon your location, wether rules have changed recently or the manager has taken their breakfast / lunch break.

15 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Can I open a Thai Bank account (with a tourist exempt entry ) and deposit USD into it.

Many thanks

You need a Foreign Currency Account if you want to keep the USDs as such.

Why are you asking such a basic question having been a member here since 2011?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, strikingsunset said:

Could I also deposit USD ( cash) and going forward make transfers out of Thailand ?

I don't really follow the logic.

When I previously had travelled to Thailand (my early years) I entered with aud $ (not small amounts.

I then would exchange at SuperRich green into Thai baht and deposit into my Thai bank account.

Subsequently use WISE (popular with USA and many others) 

To transfer funds out of Thailand is not so simple.

DEE Money is able to do this.

For large amounts it requires additional information.

Not long ago I purchased a condo from a UK guy.

After I paid him (cash) he required proof of sale of the condo for DEE to facilitate the transfer back to his UK bank.

OP, to me your plan sounds fishy or at best unusual. 

Money laundering? 

12 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Because they are rubbish, unwanted, of no value and should not be connected to the opening of any non connected financial transaction!

I had PA insurance with Kasikorn several years ago - policy came free due to investment with them at that time. Had a cycling accident which resulted in brief hospital care and dental work.

Produced receipts, refunded to my account in two days. 

Not exactly 'no value' imo.

Here's the  Kasikorn current basic PA option

Premium (Baht) Single Plan 1 year 3,790; 3 years 10,655

1. Loss of life/ Total Permanent Disability from accident

While riding as a passenger in a public transport vehicle worldwide 3,000,000

While in the overseas (outside the public transport vehicle) 2,000,000 

2. Loss of life, dismemberment or Total Permanent Disability from

General accidents 1,000,000

While riding or traveling by motorcycle 300,000

Murder or assault 300,000

3. Loss of life, dismemberment or Total Permanent Disability from terrorism 300,000

4. Medical Expenses / each accident 100,000

5. Daily income compensation (not exceeding 365 days / accident) 1,000

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Have you got any knowledge to base that on?

What are you talking about?  I asked a couple of questions, since when is knowledge required to justify a question".  

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why are you asking such a basic question having been a member here since 2011?

You cannot conceive of a reasonable explanation for not keeping abreast of AN posts from the date of joining until recently?  It really doesn't take much effort to think a tad deeper.