Americans with Social Security, Need VPN

I have been able to access my Social Security account online for many years.  Today I tried and I would get the initial screen with the login prompt.  The login would timeout and not connect.  I tried with a PC and a phone and I tried with three different browsers.  Nothing helped.

I turned on a VPN and everything worked perfectly.  This is new for me.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I just logged into MySSA over AIS no VPN no problem.

What good is this site? I made the huge effort of signing up but all I see is some silly information about what I'm going be distributed by year. I was dumbfounded with all the security for apparently nothing.

Help

• Confused 6
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

It is true there's very little you can do once you have a foreign address.

Still, knowing my account is in good order is worth something.

I've just logged in without using VPN.

What does it get you?

All I see is the age and amounts I'll personally receive. What am I missing? I don't even see how the is much of value certainly not after you start drawing

I think it allows address change but ?? Is that for payments? They don't send hard copies of age/payment any longer

Edited by Jelli
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

And what else would you want from the site?

Ability to start drawing social security, ability to make changes. For instance typical moron bureaurat entered my BD wrong by one day.

I bet that site cost millions and millions. Why do you even need to know exactly? It is what it is. Decide your year and that's it provide a site that will fairly estimate a ballpark payout for you if you need more call or visit.

Bet that site was over 10M

Edited by Jelli
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps it was a temporary thing, I couldn't even get the usual "not available hours" notice. I will try again later. 

As far as what good is it, I have to show my payment amount every year and I guess it could be used to change bank deposit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I have been able to access my Social Security account online for many years.  Today I tried and I would get the initial screen with the login prompt.  The login would timeout and not connect.  I tried with a PC and a phone and I tried with three different browsers.  Nothing helped.

I turned on a VPN and everything worked perfectly.  This is new for me.

I do the same living here I keep a file on everything with marks to VPN or not S. S.  Is one of them also their on line can only be access during office hours closed Sat-Sun 

7 hours ago, Thailand J said:

It is true there's very little you can do once you have a foreign address.

Still, knowing my account is in good order is worth something.

I've just logged in without using VPN.

What can you do with a US address? Nothing.

In fact, here's a great idea. Send every pensioner a printout at 62, 65 and if not yet taken 67. No need for ten million dollar website that stores millions of names, addresses and tax ids

Before I stated 10 million. I bet it was 15 and prolly costs a million to maintain each year.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Perhaps it was a temporary thing, I couldn't even get the usual "not available hours" notice. I will try again later. 

As far as what good is it, I have to show my payment amount every year and I guess it could be used to change bank deposit. 

Aren't we supposed to be using Manila?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jerryonjay said:

Has anyone had difficulty having their form 7162 delivered to Wilkes Barre PA ?

That's very specific.

No, but someone in the Austin Infernal Revenue Office "lost" my wife's passport and never answered my letter when I asked where it was after 6 months,. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

10 hours ago, Jelli said:

What does it get you?

All I see is the age and amounts I'll personally receive. What am I missing? I don't even see how the is much of value certainly not after you start drawing

I think it allows address change but ?? Is that for payments? They don't send hard copies of age/payment any longer

Well we get a raise in new year , so you will get that info 

As for the 7162.  The last time I sent it in.  Which was the same day I received it.  I sent it registered mail.  It took about three weeks and was scanned received at Wilkes Barre.  A few months later I received a reminder saying I needed to send it again because it wasn’t received.  I contacted Social Security and they said they didn’t have it.  So I resent it.  It was scanned received again.  After a couple of weeks I called again.  Social Security said they didn’t have the original or second one.  I contacted US Embassy in Manila.  They contacted me back saying Wilkes Barre had the original and second one in their possession.  Manila took care of it.
As for the  mySSA website.  I never had to use a VPN overseas. And it gives pertinent information .  You cannot change or add an overseas address on it.  You have to contact Manila. 
And if the website bothers you so much.  You aren’t obligated to use it.  

After checking several things:

Using 3BB for me requires a VPN, even changing the DNS does not help

Using AIS does not require a VPN

Somehow 3BB is blocking the login for SSA, at least it is for me and my particular 3BB WiFI 6 router. I can access SSA but not the login.

Service Hours
My Social Security is available during the following service hours (Eastern Time)

Day    Service Hours
Monday - Friday    5:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Saturday    5:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Sunday    8:00 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
Federal Holidays        Same hours as the day the holiday occurs     
Close this window to return to the application.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:27 AM, The Theory said:

The server is down during no business hours. I recently applied for my retirement online (US SS website). The site phone number does not have to be a US number. It took 4 weeks and it was approved hassle free. 

Even during business hours I cannot get to the login page.  There is a timeout.  Using a VPN solves the issue.  It has to be something to do with the 3BB router or server.