‘Support our people’: growing frustration at Palestine’s leadership in West Bank

Social Media

image.png

Small shards of broken glass glinted in between paving stones in central Ramallah, one of the few physical signs of a clash the previous night between protesters and the security forces of the ruling Palestinian Authority.

Mohammed Tarifi sat with a friend on the corner of a deserted street that would normally throng with crowds stopping at its popular cafes, ice-cream vendors and juice shops. The two stared up at an enormous billboard for Sprite, a giant can of the soft drink rotating slowly in a sign of how Ramallah has grown in recent years and managed some limited prosperity as the economic and political centre of the West Bank.

“I wasn’t at the demonstration but I saw it on TikTok – Ramallah was a war zone,” Tarifi said. As protesters chanted to demand the fall of Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, throwing rocks at police cars near Ramallah’s central Manara square, security forces replied with smoke bombs in an attempt to repel the crowds.

“I blame the Palestinian Authority. They should have just allowed the demonstration to happen rather than stopping it. We should support our people in Gaza, and I’m just so angry at what’s happened,” said the 20-year-old.

Protests have erupted across the West Bank in recent days. A 12-year-old girl was shot by authority security forces during protests in Jenin and a university student was injured by live fire in the town of Tubas.

“The roads are closed, and they’re all blocked anyway. Even if I want to leave Ramallah, there’s a good chance I’ll be shot,” said Tarifi, alluding to a widespread security crackdown by Israeli forces across the West Bank.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO the Palestinian authority has been exposed as a lackey of israel, and it's hard to believe it can survive too much longer before Palestinians wash it away.

IMO its your ignorance of facts that's been 'exposed' - the notions you refer to are nothing new, and quite common. So 'exposed' how?

And relying on your opinion - could you discuss how would such a 'washing away' would effect the situation? Palestinian prospects? Stability?