Bangkok airport protest leaders face bankruptcy over 522 million baht compensation order

webfact

image.jpeg

The Central Bankruptcy Court has dealt a decisive blow to 11 pivotal figures of the dissolved People Alliance for Democracy (PAD) by issuing an absolute receivership order against them. This verdict relates to their involvement in protests that resulted in the closure of Bangkok’s two primary airports.

The court order, made public via the Royal Gazette, gives an assigned receiver the power to manage the assets of these eleven individuals as per Section 22 of the Bankruptcy Act, which springs into effect following the receivership order.

This group includes high-profile individuals such as Chamlong Srimuang, Sondhi Limthongkul, Pibhop Dhongchai, Suriyasai Katasila, Somsak Kosaisuk, Chaiwat Sinsuwong, Amornthep Ratchayut, Samran Rodphet, Sirichai Maingam, Maleerat Kaewka, and Therdphum Jaidee.

The crux of this receivership order is the bankruptcy lawsuit that was initiated by the Airports of Thailand (AoT). The AoT has been steadfast in its pursuit of compensation for damages inflicted by the PAD’s seizure of Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports back in 2008.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Bradley Prentice.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The crux of this receivership order is the bankruptcy lawsuit that was initiated by the Airports of Thailand (AoT). The AoT has been steadfast in its pursuit of compensation for damages inflicted by the PAD’s seizure of Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports back in 2008.

Not the best thought out plan.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Central Bankruptcy Court has dealt a decisive blow to 11 pivotal figures of the dissolved People Alliance for Democracy (PAD) by issuing an absolute receivership order against them.

The AoT has been steadfast in its pursuit of compensation for damages inflicted by the PAD’s seizure of Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports back in 2008.

Decisive blow..., they had 15 years to prepare for this, you may get collectively 5 baht out of them if they were smart.

• Like 2

Hmm, maybe i could sue them for my unrecoverable losses i suffered after being stuck at the airport and then in Thailand for an extra 10 days due to this protest. Of course, i would be long dead before they paid up!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Hmm, maybe i could sue them for my unrecoverable losses i suffered after being stuck at the airport and then in Thailand for an extra 10 days due to this protest. Of course, i would be long dead before they paid up!

Didn't the government already pay you for that?

I had 5 nights in Bangkok courtesy of the Thai government (and the blockade)

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Wasn't this fellow involved in a couple of scandals?Spent some time in jail?

Yes, he went to prison. Three years for fraud.

He and his driver were also shot while in his car.

Such an arrogant fellow.

5 hours ago, Purdey said:

Yes, he went to prison. Three years for fraud.

He and his driver were also shot while in his car.

Such an arrogant fellow.

He started out as a mate of Thaksin. Borrowed a lot of money (oñ dodgy collateral and iffy valuations - sounds familiar?) to float some sort of media operation as I recall. He expected Thaksin to write off the loans. Thaksin wouldn't/couldn't/didn't. Hence the antipathy.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I also would like to get compensation. I had to reschedule my Emirates flight from a direct flight to Bangkok and fly via Singapore to Phuket, causing an unvolountary 3 day stop-over in Singapore due to limited flights from Singapore to Phuket. 

I was at the airport the night it was closed down. Staff abandoned positions as did Police. Protesters were very polite and friendly. I had extended family which included an 11 month old child. We returned to our villa in Hua Hin and after about 10 days and several false starts we were summoned by Emirates to be in BKK city centre at 4 am in the morning. We were then transported in an 8/10 bus convoy to Chiang Mai. On route our bus went on fire and we all had to escape via the upstairs emergency exit. A spare bus was included in the convoy and we and our burnt luggage eventually arrived in Chiang Mai and were then flown home by Emirates. Tried to claim Emirates but they told me to try the bus owner???. Maybe I should try getting my 1 oz of flesh from the guys getting sued by the airports.