Do YOU Think I Could Survive on Spanish Extra-Virgin Olive Oil?

GammaGlobulin

I can say with some certainty that you could survive at least 3 months.

My first duty post Saudi Arabia was several hours drive from a supermarket, I nearly starved on my first 3 month tour.

My second stint I found a supply of Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil which I used to consume with Saudi unleavened bread and black pepper.

I eventually found a hole the wall bakery where you paid at one window and collected your piping hot bread straight out of the oven at a second window.

I had picnic kit in my Land Cruiser, a folding lap table, a bowl for the oil and a plate for the hot bread.

Absolutely delicious.

Although you might need therapy to wean you off it after a few months.

• Like 1

Here's a question for you... 

How many times do you think I rowed back and forth under the Strawberry Mansion Bridge? 

Powered mostly by Extra-virgin Olive oil, sucked from a jug we kept between the coxswain's knees... 

Try rowing in the dead of winter without it, while the ice from the Schuylkill builds on the oar locks, and flurries of snow is all to be seen, in the grey bleakness of a late afternoon.

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I can say with some certainty that you could survive at least 3 months.

My first duty post Saudi Arabia was several hours drive from a supermarket, I nearly starved on my first 3 month tour.

My second stint I found a supply of Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil which I used to consume with Saudi unleavened bread and black pepper.

I eventually found a hole the wall bakery where you paid at one window and collected your piping hot bread straight out of the oven at a second window.

I had picnic kit in my Land Cruiser, a folding lap table, a bowl for the oil and a plate for the hot bread.

Absolutely delicious.

Although you might need therapy to wean you off it after a few months.

BEST comment I have ever read on TV. 

• Love It 1

17 hours ago, save the frogs said:

you are arrogant and self-absorbed and most of your topics and comments have litte relevance to anyone around you. 

You are correct that there is no one around me. 

As we age, those we once knew and loved seem to keep departing, like the ten little Indians... 

And someday soon, there will be none. 

And so I say.... Thank God for Noam Chomsky!!! 

At 94, he remains STRONG. 

Noam still remains a beacon of logic in this world. 

Noam is my fellow-alumnus, you know. 

And, I would wash his feet, if asked. 

• Love It 1

49 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You are correct that there is no one around me. 

As we age, those we once knew and loved seem to keep departing, like the ten little Indians... 

And someday soon, there will be none. 

And so I say.... Thank God for Noam Chomsky!!! 

At 94, he remains STRONG. 

Noam still remains a beacon of logic in this world. 

Noam is my fellow-alumnus, you know. 

And, I would wash his feet, if asked. 

noam chomsky is over-rated

On 10/22/2023 at 6:42 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

I am thinking about trying to survive on nothing but Spanish Extra-Virgin Olive Oil?

Certainly nor Spanish extra-virgin oils, Perhaps Greek extra virgin oil  and maybe Italian , but certainly not Spanish.

though  you certainly would be well lubricated. 

But I have a question. Has anyone ever bought Virgin olive oil? It all seems to be Extra Virgin.

How does one become "Extra Virgin"?

I Have actuary given this a lot of thought , and ,as a young man ,before I got laid , at no point could I see how I could possibly be any less <Deleted>, I remember telling my best friend, "If I don't get <Deleted > soon, I will be <Deleted> , but at no point was I extra <Deleted> just the normal amount of ,Deleted>, until I got  <Deleted>  and thought the I was no longer <Deleter>  but unfortunately that's when all my <Deleted> problems started

Edited by sirineou
typo

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

How many times do you think I rowed back and forth under the Strawberry Mansion Bridge? 

Since you have only one oar in the water, I am willing to say many. To be honest I am not sure how you even got out from under it. 

You did get out from under it. Right?

Edited by sirineou

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Did you ever solve your problem with ANKI? 

As I recall, your problem with ANKI centered around a Thai vowel. 

Things of import, such as this, I find difficult to forget. 

Perhaps you should make one more donation to ANKI, for old times' sake...? 

I do not recall that. ANKI is a flashcard study app? I do not recall using it to study Thai.

I tried to use it recently to study the LIMITATIONS section for a new airliner I am being trained on.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Compared to whom? 

Examples, PLEASE! 

when running out of crap to talk about, Chomsky is a good safe topic to fall back on. 

to get back on your nonsensical topic. 

tinned food ie sardines was invented for times of emergency ... so tinned food is emergency food, not olive oil. 

then I decided to look up how long can the human body survive without protein and found this. 

https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/protein#:~:text=We can live a whole,days without eating any protein.

We can live a whole lifetime (after infancy) without eating any carbohydrate, and we can live for 6 months or more without eating any fat, depending on how much fat we have on our bodies to begin with. However, we have no way to store proteins and can only live for a maximum of 70 days without eating any protein.

Edited by save the frogs

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I do not recall that. ANKI is a flashcard study app? I do not recall using it to study Thai.

I tried to use it recently to study the LIMITATIONS section for a new airliner I am being trained on.

Bon Voyage!

Happy Landings!

See you in New Jersey, maybe....?

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

when running out of crap to talk about, Chomsky is a good safe topic to fall back on. 

to get back on your nonsensical topic. 

tinned food ie sardines was invented for times of emergency ... so tinned food is emergency food, not olive oil. 

then I decided to look up how long can the human body survive without protein and found this. 

https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/protein#:~:text=We can live a whole,days without eating any protein.

We can live a whole lifetime (after infancy) without eating any carbohydrate, and we can live for 6 months or more without eating any fat, depending on how much fat we have on our bodies to begin with. However, we have no way to store proteins and can only live for a maximum of 70 days without eating any protein.

Yes...but....

image.png.f3b11cfcf8ab13a1e5581c175cdf3aaf.png

If you tried but instead used Spanish sardines preserved in the stuff together with a sliver of carrot, pickle and chili added to each tin, I think you'd survive longer (and better).

I personally could live for a very long time on the Portuguese sardine version of that, mixed with rice, although I imagine the nutritional profile is missing some things, the effects of which would become apparent by a month or two. 

On 10/22/2023 at 6:42 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

And, if you do not know, Spanish Extra-Virgin Olive oil is pretty spicy, and has a BITE to it.

Mix some Marmite or Vegemite in it Glob, just to add a bit more flavor. :coffee1: Enjoy :giggle:

Edited by brianthainess