Light coloured or dark coloured car choice.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your command of English clearly needs some improvement - its obvious to anyone that Trans means the cars he has owned in Thailand over his time here. 

Oh really, I thought it had to do with transgender.

11 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:
39 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The heat there is a desert heat (hot oven) - nothing at all like humid Thailand heat.

Outside humidity does not affect the temperature inside the car.

And if you think it's all desert there, try 42 deg C and 90% RH. Quite common in the coastal regions around Aug-Sep. You'll get wet within 2 minutes just walking from your house to the car.

In making those flawed assumptions its clear Lopburi3 has not spent any time in the Middle East ... In the midst of summer the humidity in the whole of the gulf region is unbearable and forces the heat index to skyrocket. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Screaming said:
7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your command of English clearly needs some improvement - its obvious to anyone that Trans means the cars he has owned in Thailand over his time here. 

Oh really, I thought it had to do with transgender.

Perhaps do less of the thinking....    you're giving yourself away.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Keep Right said:

Not racist at all,

Au contraire, the comment itself was clearly a targeted slur with the implication that Trans' partner is dark skinned.

1 minute ago, Keep Right said:

I know many people of color that would only own a black car.

This highlights either a deliberate lack of comprehension or stupidity. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

No. 

Be ready for it, because before you know it, you might actually be kissing it, depending on how quick your reaction is.

Black cars in my opinion are hot, hotter then white or silver cars as they draw in the heat, whereas white or silver deflects it, and can be seen easier at night.

Black, especially in Thailand is a status thing, EGO 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Be ready for it, because before you know it, you might actually be kissing it, depending on how quick your reaction is.

Black cars in my opinion are hot, hotter then white or silver cars as they draw in the heat, whereas white or silver deflects it, and can be seen easier at night.

As mentioned, in my experience (having owned black and white cars at the same time) it makes literally no discernible difference. But if someone wants to argue they can feel a difference I am not going to challenge them. Given the amount of glass in a car I would say the metal colour is not a big deal.

Eh? How can colour be a status thing? Black cars don't cost more than other colours.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:
8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As mentioned, in my experience (having owned black and white cars at the same time) it makes literally no discernible difference. But if someone wants to argue they can feel a difference I am not going to challenge them. Given the amount of glass in a car I would say the metal colour is not a big deal.

Exactly...  Tint would play a far bigger factor than colour of the car. 

As already mentioned, interior colour may make a greater difference than external colour.

And.... as already mentioned by numerous people - AC comes on quickly and is effective making the whole debate somewhat moot.

As far as 'being seen easier at night'...  If people were really that bothered about the issue we'd be driving around in luminous cars... We don't....  a night we see the lights of any other vehicle well before we get to see what colour it is.

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Eh? How can colour be a status thing? Black cars don't cost more than other colours.

Agreed... this one also struck me as one of those 'out there statements' that make no sense whatsoever. 

• Confused 1

Jeez...this is a tough one. 

I need to do some extensive research  before I can give an unequivocal answer.

My gut instinct  is to go for a lighter colored car in the tropics, based on physics.

However , in reality,  regardless  of the color  of your car it will get hot if exposed to the sun for more than a few minutes. 

So.....guess it comes down to color preference in the end.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In making those flawed assumptions its clear Lopburi3 has not spent any time in the Middle East ... In the midst of summer the humidity in the whole of the gulf region is unbearable and forces the heat index to skyrocket. 

Actually tried not to spend time there - but was in Beirut for a bit over six months and never noticed humidity that bad - the rockets and rifle fire however was a bit of a concern.

12 hours ago, WhatMeWorry said:

"My cars" Wow, you must be living a life of luxury up in Issan.

Well no, WMW, now don't jump to conclusions, ol' chum, perhaps for you, I better explain in a more simplistic script.

In the many years I have lived in Thailand, the cars that we have owned have been a dark colour.

If you are still confused, please don't hesitate to ask for more clarification...😉

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, McTavish said:

Transam and supporters are wrong > [source https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-white-cars-cooler.html# ]

(PhysOrg.com) -- From an environment standpoint, silver and white cars are cool; black cars are not. Researchers at the Berkeley Lab Environmental Energy Technologies Division (EETD) say that the color of your car affects your car's fuel economy and how seriously you contribute to pollution. A light-colored shell reflects more sunlight than a dark car shell. The cooler the color, the cooler the cabin air, and the less of a need to run your air conditioner.

What if you live in the north where you have to run the heater? 

Even in SoCal you run the heater part of the year. 

1 hour ago, McTavish said:

Transam and supporters are wrong > [source https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-white-cars-cooler.html# ]

(PhysOrg.com) -- From an environment standpoint, silver and white cars are cool; black cars are not. Researchers at the Berkeley Lab Environmental Energy Technologies Division (EETD) say that the color of your car affects your car's fuel economy and how seriously you contribute to pollution. A light-colored shell reflects more sunlight than a dark car shell. The cooler the color, the cooler the cabin air, and the less of a need to run your air conditioner.

Well buy a car with A/C like the rest of us.........🥴

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Two black cars because I like the way look which is important to me. 

So you stand outside in the sun looking at your car? Our car is light colored as its cooler inside when we drive in the heat and save on air conditioning costs. 99.9% of the time we are inside the car and cannot see much of the outside of it, otherwise we are somewhere else and not looking at it all.

Edited by Digitalbanana
  • Haha 1

Driving in the rain, I was horrified how many Thai cars and m/c appeared tp be tarmac coloured.  I am also guilty as my car is dark red. Colour choice was a mistake and I will buy a highly visible car next time; Orange or Yellow if available.  In Thailand it is important to e as visible as possible, to hell with he aesthetics, I want to e seen

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Robin said:

Driving in the rain, I was horrified how many Thai cars and m/c appeared tp be tarmac coloured.  I am also guilty as my car is dark red. Colour choice was a mistake and I will buy a highly visible car next time; Orange or Yellow if available.  In Thailand it is important to e as visible as possible, to hell with he aesthetics, I want to e seen

You are nothing if not easily horrified...

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Robin said:

Or go to the opticians.......😬

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Light coloured cars are cooler, safer and easier to keep clean-looking, what is so hard?

No doubt black absorbs heat so the metal will be a bit hotter (although we don't know how long those cars have been sitting there or how long since the engine was shut down - were they both parked at the same time?). No arguing with that particular bit of science.

I'd be interested to see the difference inside which is what we've been talking about.. My feeling - based on owning both black and white cars - is that there will be hardly any difference on the inside, especially as both cars have the same amount of glass windows. And even a small difference will be moot as one minute of AC blasting and both cars will be equally cool.

In summary, any car in Thailand that is left in the sun will be bloody hot inside. The colour makes such a small difference as to be negligible.

• Like 1