Light coloured or dark coloured car choice.

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have you ever seen a black car when the driver forgot to turn their lights on at night and then started driving, as opposed to a white car ?

Have you ever seen that those black cars, that are glossy with light-reflecting glass, and red/white reflectors reflect the light from your headlights so that you can see them.   If you, seriously, cannot see something as big and obvious as a car at night, black or not, then it's time for you to get your eyes checked.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But it costs more to keep looking good.  

Car wash joints charge more to wash a black car ?

Mine is doing something wrong then as they charge me the same for my black cars same as the white and blue ones.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, McTavish said:

Transam and supporters are wrong > [source https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-white-cars-cooler.html# ]

(PhysOrg.com) -- From an environment standpoint, silver and white cars are cool; black cars are not. Researchers at the Berkeley Lab Environmental Energy Technologies Division (EETD) say that the color of your car affects your car's fuel economy and how seriously you contribute to pollution. A light-colored shell reflects more sunlight than a dark car shell. The cooler the color, the cooler the cabin air, and the less of a need to run your air conditioner.

Always best to ensure that you read your own links!  From the same article, the insignificance is obvious...

"The silver Honda Civic (shell SR 0.57) had a cabin air temperature of about 5-6°C (9-11°F) lower than an identical black car (shell SR 0.05).

Overall, the numbers compiled in this car-color exercise found that using white or silver paint instead of black paint would raise fuel economy by 0.44 mpg (2.0 percent); would decrease carbon dioxide emissions by 1.9 percent, and reduce other automotive emissions by about 1 percent".

A 5-6°C lower interior temperature (say 95° as opposed to 100°) in a car that's been in the tropical sun for an hour would not be noticeably cooler to anyone getting in the car!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Our car is light colored as its cooler inside when we drive in the heat and save on air conditioning costs.

"Cooler" than what?   Do you have a black car also?  From your own experience, how much do you save on "air conditioning costs" in your car?  

21 hours ago, phetphet said:

Light cars for not only being cooler in the daytime, but more visible at night.

And more visible at night is definitely a great safety feature here with the number of people who drive without lights. The only thing is that you have to get other people to get white cars and reduce the strength of the tint on their car windscreen 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you ever seen that those black cars, that are glossy with light-reflecting glass, and red/white reflectors reflect the light from your headlights so that you can see them.   If you, seriously, cannot see something as big and obvious as a car at night, black or not, then it's time for you to get your eyes checked.

The issue is if Somchai in his new Ford Ranger going at 100+Ks and with some alcohol in his blood can see you.  The reason why all Police cars worldwide are light coloured (usually white - except Thailand sometimes) is because that is the best colour for visibility by others - especially pre-dawn and at dusk.  Bright yellow is good too 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

My feeling - based on owning both black and white cars - is that there will be hardly any difference on the inside, especially as both cars have the same amount of glass windows. And even a small difference will be moot as one minute of AC blasting and both cars will be equally cool.

Really?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Really?

The temperature was 113° in the white car and 130° in the black car.    You think that makes the white car a better choice because 113° is comfortable and 130° is not?!   The difference after an hour of aircon was insignificant, also, at 80° and 90°.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Really?

As mentioned in my post, after being parked in Thailand's sun both cars will be roasting hot inside, but after blasting air both will cool down. A slight difference means nothing to your comfort - they are both damn hot.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I'd be interested to see the difference inside which is what we've been talking about.. My feeling - based on owning both black and white cars - is that there will be hardly any difference on the inside, especially as both cars have the same amount of glass windows. And even a small difference will be moot as one minute of AC blasting and both cars will be equally cool.

In summary, any car in Thailand that is left in the sun will be bloody hot inside. The colour makes such a small difference as to be negligible.

29 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

As mentioned in my post, after being parked in Thailand's sun both cars will be roasting hot inside, but after blasting air both will cool down. A slight difference means nothing to your comfort - they are both damn hot.

You also mentioned in your post:

'there will be hardly any difference on the inside..... and even a small difference will be moot as one minute of AC blasting and both cars will be equally cool'......

seems you were wrong!

59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The temperature was 113° in the white car and 130° in the black car.    You think that makes the white car a better choice because 113° is comfortable and 130° is not?!   The difference after an hour of aircon was insignificant, also, at 80° and 90°.

Did you fail maths AND science class?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

You also mentioned in your post:

'there will be hardly any difference on the inside..... and even a small difference will be moot as one minute of AC blasting and both cars will be equally cool'......

seems you were wrong!

Ok, you win. Happy?

To me it is still insignificant. Choosing where to park your car is more important than what colour it is. If you want to buy a white car because it is a few degrees different from a black one after sitting in the sun for an hour (when both are unbearably hot) then up to you. Personally I'm going to buy whichever colour looks best.

42 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Ok, you win. Happy?

To me it is still insignificant. Choosing where to park your car is more important than what colour it is. If you want to buy a white car because it is a few degrees different from a black one after sitting in the sun for an hour (when both are unbearably hot) then up to you. Personally I'm going to buy whichever colour looks best.

Exactly.... So many people getting uptight about colour of the car, when really there is no difference at all because we turn on the AC.... so within a very short period of time the temperature is the same. 

At 40 dec C or 45 deg C its still too hot to be comfortable in a car - so the difference is irrelevant. Both will be a comfortable temperature within a few mins. 

IF someone is so particularly anal about the difference the colour makes to the internal temperature of the car they also need to be placing far greater focus on window tint, glass surface area of the car, where its parked (quality of shade etc).

This is a perfect example of a thread where some posters are getting particularly pedantic about insignificant differences and concentrating on the 'win' and 'point scoring' rather than any practical common sense. 

Technically there is a difference, common sense highlights the difference is irrelevant you'll still need AC and with AC there will be no difference. 

Some may want to argue the difference in 'economy' but come one, thats just ridiculous - do also budget how much water you drink in a day in hotter countries ???.... (question was rhetorical).

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

So you stand outside in the sun looking at your car? Our car is light colored as its cooler inside when we drive in the heat and save on air conditioning costs. 99.9% of the time we are inside the car and cannot see much of the outside of it, otherwise we are somewhere else and not looking at it all.

No, I stand in the shade and look at it. Its beautiful.  I can't even imagine worrying about the cost of running my car air conditioner. Actually, it is a 4x4 four door pick-truck.  I don't worry about the cost of operating that either. Oh, my wife likes to look at her black car also.  To each his own.
I guess I should add, in answer to other posts, Black IS harder to maintain if you want to do it properly. Both ours are "ceramic coated" and I enjoy washing and detailing on a regular basis. I would never let someone else do it. It relaxes me and looks better when I stand in the shade or sun looking at them.

Being born and raised in Detroit, Mi (Motor City) I have been a car hobbyist all my life, so don't waste your time criticizing.  BTW I only scanned through the posts so I didn't see what the "Trans" posts are about. But, the Pontiac Trans Am was a great car.

🙂

Edited by silverhawk_usa
Additional info

No more white cars in Thailand for me!!

I concede that white cars might be cooler and I like the look, in fact both of our cars are white,

I would never buy another  white car in Thailand. 

I guess perhaps if you live in bangkok it might not be an issue  but   in most of the country during wet season that the car gets splashed with road water  then when it dries the car turns clay brown ,

during the dry season there is a clay dust everywhere and the car turns clay brown , and the dirt stands out like a sore thumb. 

So the car looks  almost always dirty,

Definitely a darker car !! unless you like washing your car every other day. 

Edited by sirineou

17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No more white cars in Thailand for me!!

I concede that white cars might be cooler and I like the look, in fact both of our cars are white,

I would never buy another  white car in Thailand. 

I guess perhaps if you live in bangkok it might not be an issue  but   in most of the country during wet season that the car gets splashed with road water  then when it dries the car turns clay brown ,

during the dry season there is a clay dust everywhere and the car turns clay brown , and the dirt stands out like a sore thumb. 

So the car looks  almost always dirty,

Definitely a darker car !! unless you like washing your car every other day. 

Evidently black is the worst colour to keep clean and white is not the best either.

Edited by LosLobo