Light coloured or dark coloured car choice.

6 minutes ago, novacova said:

Quite a silly statement there youngster, more pedestrians dressed in dark clothes are hit by vehicles in the dark than those wearing light clothing. Though if one isn’t aware of this fact then the probability of then running into a pedestrian dressed in dark clothing only increases. 

No, the pedestrians wearing dark clothing at night do not have lights to compensate for not being seen, a car does......😉

I buy based on the fact that everyone here seems to buy Technocrat white, black, and grey.  Look at the road and it seems to be Henry Ford's wet-dream.  You can have any color of Ford as long as it's black.  <gag>

Me - any color but white, black, and grey.   I'm partial to red.

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:39 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Which manufacturers don't use clear coat and what makes you think that clear coat affects the interior temperature of cars?

I never said anything about the temperature did I? White does not have a clear coat so one can keep the paint looking new and not worry about clear coat problems like peeling or fading. Heat in the car because of a colour! Couldn't tell ya...haha

On 10/24/2023 at 6:38 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The reasons are simple economics - White has traditionally been the cheapest paint option, a lot of these decisions have always been made by accountants...   so fleet vehicles are....  ??? 

Most 'works' vans are also white for the same reasons - economics. 

For higher visibility police forces and ambulance services use Luminous Orange and Yellow... 

IF white was so effective, why aren't they leaving their vehicles plain white !!...   

Now... Do you choose a car colour for the best perceived visibility ??? or do you just chose the colour you like ?

Both.  I am not a 'fashion' addict who gets what is popular - and I do not have a 'reality' issue.

White Color Costs More to ProduceYes, white generally cost car manufacturers more compared to lets say red, silver, black or gray. Why? Because white requires more coats of paint, base and other necessary coats during the whole painting process.

Reasons Why White Cars Cost More? (noahsgarage.com)

PS - here is some more reality for you:

While color trends can change over time, white is always in style. There are many reasons for this:

• White better reflects heat. Dark colors absorb heat from the sun more efficiently whereas white stays cooler.
  • White paint fades less noticeably. While all materials exposed to the sun will fade over time, it is white which fads the slowest.
  • White makes objects appear larger. This is very helpful for rooms that need to seem bigger or for fleets who want more presence.
  • White is a clean color. While white can get dirty faster, it also shows customers you are clean if the vehicle is kept clean.
  • White is the ultimate background. Whether white is part of your brand or not—logos look great and stand out on a white background.

But if you want to choose matt black, because it looks 'cool', then you go right ahead mate.

On 10/26/2023 at 1:12 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Both.  I am not a 'fashion' addict who gets what is popular - and I do not have a 'reality' issue.

White Color Costs More to ProduceYes, white generally cost car manufacturers more compared to lets say red, silver, black or gray. Why? Because white requires more coats of paint, base and other necessary coats during the whole painting process.

While color trends can change over time, white is always in style. There are many reasons for this:

• White better reflects heat. Dark colors absorb heat from the sun more efficiently whereas white stays cooler.
  • White paint fades less noticeably. While all materials exposed to the sun will fade over time, it is white which fads the slowest.
  • White makes objects appear larger. This is very helpful for rooms that need to seem bigger or for fleets who want more presence.
  • White is a clean color. While white can get dirty faster, it also shows customers you are clean if the vehicle is kept clean.
  • White is the ultimate background. Whether white is part of your brand or not—logos look great and stand out on a white background.

But if you want to choose matt black, because it looks 'cool', then you go right ahead mate.

My Car is white (pearlescent white I think its called)...

I agree with all of the points you write...

The point I've been trying to get across is that the difference is negligible in a country like Thailand as you will need to put the AC on anyway and modern AC's are very good... It matters more where you park, what tint is on the windows etc than the colour of the car - it also makes a bigger difference if you have a large sun-roof or moonroof.

As for visibility...  Yes lighter is more visible than darker, but again the difference is negligible because all cars have lights, and whether dark or light colour a dark coloured with lights on is more visible than a white coloured car with lights on.

Thus: temperature differential and / or low light visibility is not really a great consideration when choosing a car - I've had both dark and light cars and I don't consider there was any notable difference. 

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Car is white (pearlescent white I think its called)...

I agree with all of the points you write...

The point I've been trying to get across is that the difference is negligible in a country like Thailand as you will need to put the AC on anyway and modern AC's are very good... It matters more where you park, what tint is on the windows etc than the colour of the car - it also makes a bigger difference if you have a large sun-roof or moonroof.

As for visibility...  Yes lighter is more visible than darker, but again the difference is negligible because all cars have lights, and whether dark or light colour a dark coloured with lights on is more visible than a white coloured car with lights on.

Thus: temperature differential and / or low light visibility is not really a great consideration when choosing a car - I've had both dark and light cars and I don't consider there was any notable difference. 

Yes I agree - colour does not make that much difference regarding a car sitting in the sun getting hot inside - most heat comes through the windows not the panels.  Which is why all my cars in Thailand have had window tinting - which also brings me to my point.  Visibility at dusk and dawn, in terms of someone seeing your car, is better in a white car than in a black car - especially on the highways.  It is even more so when the person looking does not have great eyesight, and/or is affected by alcohol, and/or has a too-heavily tinted front windscreen. I remember telling the guy fitting window tinting to our City many years ago - 'no please - only 60 on the front windscreen,  70 for driver side window, and 90 OK for the rest - it is hard to see when dark and in rain'.  He looked at me very wierdly - the wife explained what I wanted - he did it - but I bet he told his mates later over a 20 baht bottle of rum - 'guess what stupid farang made me do today ..........'   

I find white cars show the settling dust, and swirly scratches less than black cars.

I find grey and black cars are harder to spot on the road i

and wondering if there are statistics on accidents with black compared to white cars.

As for heat , can't seem to tell any difference myself.

On 10/26/2023 at 1:12 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

White is not the most expensive color, and generally does not require more coats than other colors. The cheapest truck and vans are all painted white, correct? If you buy a Spark, the price includes white or blue, but you pay extra for the metallic silver. Metallic paint is more expensive than non-metallic paint. 

Pearl white is more expensive because a coat of pearl has to be applied over the white. 

Grey.png.8760f27de86c406f4c467b2bae6bd2c6.pngWhite.png.8d0fe6e414b7eb209df617b7a91659fa.pngSilver.png.5420d4e74c1ef1a9cf336bff16024d76.png

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

White is not the most expensive color, and generally does not require more coats than other colors. The cheapest truck and vans are all painted white, correct? If you buy a Spark, the price includes white or blue, but you pay extra for the metallic silver. Metallic paint is more expensive than non-metallic paint. 

Pearl white is more expensive because a coat of pearl has to be applied over the white. 

Grey.png.8760f27de86c406f4c467b2bae6bd2c6.pngWhite.png.8d0fe6e414b7eb209df617b7a91659fa.pngSilver.png.5420d4e74c1ef1a9cf336bff16024d76.png

True.  But the manufacturers always make a certain number in a few basic colours - the colours that sell well.  White is very popular for many reasons, including that for commerical vehicles it makes any advertising signs stand out much better.  They all make white (excluding top end vehicles) and many years ago they also made a red variation - nowadays most have a blue or a silver/grey or both.