Light coloured or dark coloured car choice.

5 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:
On 10/23/2023 at 4:43 PM, josephbloggs said:

I think headlights do more for visibility at night than what colour paint you have.

What about the other three sides?

You're being deliberately thick, or simply facetious if you think all cars are perfectly square ????

Cars are designed so that both headlights and tail lights can be seen from the side - in fact with most modern cars as much of the lights can be seen from the side as from the front and rear.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

USA

UK

AUSTRALIA

GERMANY

JAPAN

KOREA

I could go on and on - but I think that will do.

Wait one more 

CHINA

The reasons are simple economics - White has traditionally been the cheapest paint option, a lot of these decisions have always been made by accountants...   so fleet vehicles are....  ??? 

Most 'works' vans are also white for the same reasons - economics. 

For higher visibility police forces and ambulance services use Luminous Orange and Yellow... 

IF white was so effective, why aren't they leaving their vehicles plain white !!...   

Now... Do you choose a car colour for the best perceived visibility ??? or do you just chose the colour you like ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The reason why all Police cars worldwide are light coloured (usually white - except Thailand sometimes) is because that is the best colour for visibility by others - especially pre-dawn and at dusk.  Bright yellow is good too 🙂

image.png.204d074b1eb0dc04c5dff9f8d26eb86e.png

image.png.3a6daa6aa68d5a255a8b6b94908a8af6.png

image.png.5a3a651f88fc7db92c709cafc1de7f08.png

image.png.42e2a87a89c247ade11f3c427ef3f63d.png

Could contain:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Au contraire, the comment itself was clearly a targeted slur with the implication that Trans' partner is dark skinned.

This highlights either a deliberate lack of comprehension or stupidity. 

Good frk’n grief! Get off it with the pseudo white guilt inverse racism you suffer from.

• Confused 1

On 10/23/2023 at 3:52 PM, Asquith Production said:

buy based on light cars being cooler. If so was it noticeably cooler

Strange people buy dark colored cars in Thailand. 

Dark colours..... Heat magnet 

Light colored cars are significantly cooler when parked in the sun. 

BTW, another negative.

The Mrs had a black HRV, it was painful to keep clean 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 4:29 PM, phetphet said:

Light cars for not only being cooler in the daytime, but more visible at night.

Light/white vehicles, easier to see in the dark unless you have overheads or lights on the sides 

5 minutes ago, novacova said:

Light/white vehicles, easier to see in the dark unless you have overheads or lights on the sides 

Another fool who thinks cars are perfectly square and headlights and taillights cannot be seen from the side.

And no, you are also wrong...   light / white vehicles can only be seen more readily at night / in dusk conditions when placed in front of a dark backdrop of contrast....  Depending on the area, many backdrops to the roads we commonly drive are variable, some light, some dark, some reflective etc...  a white car is no more visible against a black backdrop than a black car is against a white backdrop... 

Thus, the arguments many are making (including yourself) is one of contrast and that is flawed logic..  In the real world our surroundings are of highly variable contrast against and no light or dark colour is particularly advantageous over the other unless you are going to cover your car in a 'Pattern' of recognisable shapes of contrasting colour.

Lights are noticeable in the dark, everywhere - colours are only noticeable as contrast with sufficient ambient light.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another fool who thinks cars are perfectly square and headlights and taillights cannot be seen from the side.

And no, you are also wrong...   light / white vehicles can only be seen more readily at night / in dusk conditions when placed in front of a dark backdrop of contrast....  Depending on the area, many backdrops to the roads we commonly drive are variable, some light, some dark, some reflective etc...  a white car is no more visible against a black backdrop than a black car is against a white backdrop... 

Thus, the arguments many are making (including yourself) is one of contrast and that is flawed logic..  In the real world our surroundings are of highly variable contrast against and no light or dark colour is particularly advantageous over the other unless you are going to cover your car in a 'Pattern' of recognisable shapes of contrasting colour.

Lights are noticeable in the dark, everywhere - colours are only noticeable as contrast with sufficient ambient light.

I would suggest that, generally, most cars are driven most of the time during the daylight and on black bitumen roads.

In the daylight hours, would you agree that a black car would be more difficult to see contrasted against a black tarmac than a white car?

Perhaps you could enlighten me as what are the functional benefits if any that a black car has over a white car?

Seems a white car is cooler, safer, cheaper and easier to maintain.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I would suggest that, generally, most cars are driven most of the time during the daylight and on black bitumen roads.

Do you look down upon them from above ?????

In the daylight hours, would you agree that a black car would be more difficult to see contrasted against a black tarmac than a white car?

Yes, if looking down from a helicopter !!!   

Looking from the front or side - the background plays a greater impact and we see the contrast. 

I do agree that lighter colours are generally more perceptible than darker, however, the difference is negligable.

Motorcyclists do not wear 'white jackets' for visibility - they wear 'high-vis' neon coloured jackets. 

Perhaps you could enlighten me as what are functional benefits if any that a black car has over a white car?

None of any significance whatsoever - white or black. 

Seems a white car is cooler, safer, cheaper and easier to maintain.

White is cooler - Good luck going without your AC in Thailand. 

White is safer - Good luck under that false pretence anywhere. 

Easier to maintain ??.... cos white cars use less oil, right ??? 

Some really ridiculous arguments on this thread - perfect examples of cant see the forest for the trees.

I have a white care, but not because I'm stupid enough to think it makes a difference to the quailty or safety of my driving experience. 

Is your car neon coloured ??? 

In Thailand "white" only. You pick any color you want,  but it does not mean that it won't get hot like hell (all colors get hot, but white less than others) or wont be a night shadow to many blind drivers, because it's just your favorite color. However white color could be less visible in some conditions in daytime. 

Edited by The Theory

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you look down upon them from above ?????

Yes, if looking down from a helicopter !!!   

Looking from the front or side - the background plays a greater impact and we see the contrast. 

I do agree that lighter colours are generally more perceptible than darker, however, the difference is negligable.

Motorcyclists do not wear 'white jackets' for visibility - they wear 'high-vis' neon coloured jackets. 

None of any significance whatsoever - white or black. 

White is cooler - Good luck going without your AC in Thailand. 

White is safer - Good luck under that false pretence anywhere. 

Easier to maintain ??.... cos white cars use less oil, right ??? 

Some really ridiculous arguments on this thread - perfect examples of cant see the forest for the trees.

I have a white care, but not because I'm stupid enough to think it makes a difference to the quailty or safety of my driving experience. 

Is your car neon coloured ??? 

I suggest white reflects more light than black, therefore, it contrasts more with any background other than white making it easier to see.

Neon coloured cars are impractical as they have a poor resale value and possibly safety is their sole advantage.

You seem unable to specify any functional benefits for black or provide any evidence to support any of your posts.

I agree, there some really ridiculous arguments on this thread, 

Edited by LosLobo

24 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I suggest white reflects more light than black, therefore, it contrasts more with any background other than white making it easier to see.

I suggest so many on here are getting exceptionally anal about the colour of someone else's car.

IF you want to chose a white car because you think its safer and gives others better visibility of your vehicle, then go ahead - just don't forget to turn on your lights when the light starts fading.....  cos its clearly only a very specific few on this forum who can see so well in the dark !!!! 

....the reality of course, is that the colour has a negligible impact to visibility compared to lights because the difference in visibility of different colours as the light fades is negligible and irrelevant when lights are in use on every vehicle. 

Neon coloured cars are impractical as they have a poor resale value and possibly safety is their sole advantage.

Agree....  kind of - the neon on emergency vehicles is usually a wrap rather than paint-scheme.

You seem unable to specify any benefits for black or provide any evidence to support any of your posts.

Correct, and neither have I attempted to....  no one has argued that Black is a better colour than white...  That is your flawed assumption perhaps garnered from jumping to conclusions in an attempt to 'win' in some imagined 'white is better' argument...   (my car is white btw).

My argument is that there is negligible difference in visibility and temperature retention between white and black cars, or light and dark cars....   certainly not a significant enough difference for choice to be intelligently impacted, unless the person choosing is of a particularly pedantic nature and common sense is out-shadowed.

I agree, there some really ridiculous arguments on this thread, 

Agreed.... what ridiculous arguments do you use to justify the colour choice of your car.....  I mean other than, I liked that colour ?? !!!....     

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I paid 10K extra for pearl white for Isuzu MUX

I think it was 3K for pearl on my last Isuzu pickup, but that must have been ten years ago.

I think the wife's 'tuna was 5 or 6K for the pearl & black roof, but that was six years ago. 

It's pretty much just an extra coat of paint...

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Aren't all cars here equipped with aircon, how can there be any significant difference when most of the heat comes in from the windows? 

Physics...https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-white-cars-cooler.html#:~:text=White%2C silver%2C and other light,cooler than traditional dark colors.

Same reason many houses are painted white and not black in hot countries.

Edited by phetphet

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think it was 3K for pearl on my last Isuzu pickup, but that must have been ten years ago.

I think the wife's 'tuna was 5 or 6K for the pearl & black roof, but that was six years ago. 

It's pretty much just an extra coat of paint...

My current car in Thailand is pearlescent white, the previous two cars were also white, the car before that very dark blue, red before that, black before that....  

IF I wanted to act like a real idiot I'd make claims about the temperature retention and visibility.....   the reality is far less interesting, I chose those colours because thats what I liked the look of on that model. 

One point I will make - Big moon-roof's....    They're no fun in these climates.

I've had cars with moonroofs in Thailand an never opened it, we just have the cloth thing across always. 

Thus: the presence of 'roof glass' makes a far greater difference than colour, but again, thats negligible when the AC has the car cool in such a short period (I hesitate to state about a minute or two).

So... IF we are really going to get into the discussion of 'temperature' inside a car after its parked, a far more intelligent discussion would be to comment on the quality of AC that cars have and how quickly and effectively the AC cools the interior of the car (i.e. 1 minute or more, 5 minutes would see me looking for a different vehicle). 

The same can be argued in the West, regarding how quickly the car heats up, how quickly the windscreen de-ices etc.

10 minutes ago, phetphet said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Aren't all cars here equipped with aircon, how can there be any significant difference when most of the heat comes in from the windows? 

Physics...https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-white-cars-cooler.html#:~:text=White%2C silver%2C and other light,cooler than traditional dark colors.

That issue has already been addressed -  the link also discusses the exterior temperature on the roof, not the interior temperature of the car.... 

That said, I imagine there is some difference... So, when you get into a car thats been parked in the sun, do you really care that its 45 deg C or 40 ?????.....  Obviously its going to be a practically noticeable difference between 15 deg C and 35 deg C - but those interior differentials are not being discussed.

In most cases, if the car is parked in a hot climate in the sun, Its going to be too hot and you're going to be reaching for the AC.... 

If parked in the shade, then the difference is insignificant anyway. 

Admittedly, a difference may be noted in the UK in spring when it could be 25 deg C inside a car parked in the sun rather than 27 deg C - will you be able to notice ?

The 5-6 deg C difference quoted is at the extreme ends of the spectrum when the interior difference of the car is somewhere between 'too effing hot' and 'way too effing hot' - the debate becomes moot to the point of being pathetic. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Same reason many houses are painted white and not black in hot countries.

Are a lot of houses painted black in cold countries? 

I've lived in a number of hot places and visited a lot more, but I've not seen an overabundance of white roofs... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm... its was an obvious cheap-shot and a racist dig.....  Its probably not your fault you are unable to see the obvious.

Umm…it’s an obvious cheap-shot using race to imply someone is raciest when none was implied which is racist in of itself…it’s probably not your fault you are unable to see the obviousness of your disposition of the pseudo White Knight racism you’re dealing with.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wordy conflated misguided circler nonsense attempting to curtail posters statements by trying to come off as a know all is nothing short of foolishness in of itself as a subsequent overwordy know nothing. Survival of the fittest, natures way of weeding out stupid. Light colors are easier to see in the night where ambient lighting is absorbed and contrasted, you can’t argue that fact with parents who don’t let their kids go outside in the night warring black. You’ll never see a soldier wearing white outside of a snow plane. Light/heat is reflected off of white/lighter colors opposed to black/darker spectrum that absorbs heat and light. In darkness the human eye doesn’t see color only black, white and shades of gray are visible leaving the contrast of lighter objects discernible by the eye rods. This is especially important due to the variables during night driving due to the fact that it takes time for eyes retina to adjust with variable lighting. All this wouldn’t matter if the OP and others only drive in consistent lit filled conditions in the city at night and during cloudy days. Only a young inexperienced miseducated fool would attempt to argue a disagreement. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suggest so many on here are getting exceptionally anal about the colour of someone else's car.

Yet, you have posted 17 times here on this topic.

- just don't forget to turn on your lights when the light starts fading.....  cos its clearly only a very specific few on this forum who can see so well in the dark !!!! 

...the reality of course, is that the colour has a negligible impact to visibility compared to lights because the difference in visibility of different colours as the light fades is negligible and irrelevant when lights are in use on every vehicle. 

I would suggest daytime is the most common operational environment for vehicle use in this forum's demographic and that this rambling has little to do our discussion.

Agree....  kind of - the neon on emergency vehicles is usually a wrap rather than paint-scheme.

Vinyl wrapping is impractical, especially when exposed to the sun in hot climates.

no one has argued that Black is a better colour than white...  That is your flawed assumption perhaps garnered from jumping to conclusions in an attempt to 'win' in some imagined 'white is better' argument...   (my car is white btw).

I suggest you are the one jumping to conclusions here.

Please point to where I have 'argued that Black is a better colour'.

The fact that your car is white, as with most of your comments, like neon colours et alia, is irrelevant to this discussion.

My argument is that there is negligible difference in visibility and temperature retention between white and black cars, or light and dark cars....   certainly not a significant enough difference for choice to be intelligently impacted, unless the person choosing is of a particularly pedantic nature and common sense is out-shadowed.

Without any evidence your argument is solely your biased opinion.

Yor seem to only deflect, deny, discredit and defame without offering any logical supported opposition.

I personally revel in your ad hominem comments not only in our discussion but elsewhere in this topic like:

'Your command of English clearly needs some improvement,

This highlights either a deliberate lack of comprehension or stupidity. 

You're being deliberately thick,

Another fool who thinks,

Stupid enough.

A real idiot,

Pathetic'.

Typically, 'ad hominem' attacks signify a subliminal admission of yielding to a better opponent's view.

So thank you!

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, novacova said:

Wordy conflated misguided circler nonsense attempting to curtail posters statements by trying to come off as a know all is nothing short of foolishness in of itself as a subsequent overwordy know nothing. Survival of the fittest, natures way of weeding out stupid. Light colors are easier to see in the night where ambient lighting is absorbed and contrasted, you can’t argue that fact with parents who don’t let their kids go outside in the night warring black. You’ll never see a soldier wearing white outside of a snow plane. Light/heat is reflected off of white/lighter colors opposed to black/darker spectrum that absorbs heat and light. In darkness the human eye doesn’t see color only black, white and shades of gray are visible leaving the contrast of lighter objects discernible by the eye rods. This is especially important due to the variables during night driving due to the fact that it takes time for eyes retina to adjust with variable lighting. All this wouldn’t matter if the OP and others only drive in consistent lit filled conditions in the city at night and during cloudy days. Only a young inexperienced miseducated fool would attempt to argue a disagreement. 

... Or argue that with lights the difference is irrelevant, as is your pile of ridiculous bumf above.....  unless of course, you plan on driving around in the dark or poor light conditions without your lights on.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

... Or argue that with lights the difference is irrelevant, as is your pile of ridiculous bumf above.....  unless of course, you plan on driving around in the dark or poor light conditions without your lights on.

Quite a silly statement there youngster, more pedestrians dressed in dark clothes are hit by vehicles in the dark than those wearing light clothing. Though if one isn’t aware of this fact then the probability of then running into a pedestrian dressed in dark clothing only increases.