Thailand Extends Visa-Free Visits for Russian Tourists

webfact

3 hours ago, Scottie12 said:

I'm surprised Putin is letting potential cannon fodder leave the country.

He's been invited to visit and he said yes so he'll personally round them all up and bring them home to sign up.... 

Edited by terryofcrete
Error
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How about a similar visa free for those from the east side of Canada. Waiting for over 4 weeks now and still no METV via the Thai Embassy in Ottawa, yet only a 1 week turnaround through the Thai Consulate in Vancouver. I have a number of friends who have cancelled plans to spend 3 months in Thailand because of the hassles and up-front costs of the evisa program and the uncertainty of getting their METV in time for their flights. Two years in a row and the Thai Embassy in Ottawa keep moving the goal posts. Last year their website said 10 business days at time of application, then doubled it to 20 after application submission. It took 6 weeks to get that METV. This year it said 20 business days at time of application, and now up to 25 after application submission. My expected approval time this year .... maybe 8 weeks if lucky. So much for Thailand being a good winter destination for snowbirds.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Topah said:

We all know that Russian tourists are the best and they should have this benefit over others. Why would you give this same benefit for Baltic countries or scumbags from other EU countries. After Russia maybe North Korean tourists will get the next 90 day visa. 

Probably because EU countries which are members of the Schengen zone plus the UK and the Irish Republic do not offer Thais any form of visa exempt status. So the scumbags as you put it from these countries are lucky to get 30 day visa exempt status here.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

How about a similar visa free for those from the east side of Canada. Waiting for over 4 weeks now and still no METV via the Thai Embassy in Ottawa, yet only a 1 week turnaround through the Thai Consulate in Vancouver. I have a number of friends who have cancelled plans to spend 3 months in Thailand because of the hassles and up-front costs of the evisa program and the uncertainty of getting their METV in time for their flights. Two years in a row and the Thai Embassy in Ottawa keep moving the goal posts. Last year their website said 10 business days at time of application, then doubled it to 20 after application submission. It took 6 weeks to get that METV. This year it said 20 business days at time of application, and now up to 25 after application submission. My expected approval time this year .... maybe 8 weeks if lucky. So much for Thailand being a good winter destination for snowbirds.

That's worse than me. Do sorry for that. I am going to forget the “O” visa bull<deleted>. I will file a TR… wtf

Thai government corruption, as usual. Bowing down to the Russians (and Chinese)? Shows real weakness. If it truly is only about tourist money, then why not open 90 day visa-free travel for all of Europe, Americans, Aussies, Canadians, etc? Why not? Because of a corrupt .. we have no morals when it comes to money .. Thai government. Weak. 

Thailand and South Korea where about the same level when ASEAN started.

We all seen what the development from the about same start what that did brought to South Korea and Thailand.

If you cannot change then you can try to change in a different way. This is probably the reason why BRICS is chosen by Thailand when you read the news around this development.

When you look into the list of countries that also explains what it is wiser to extend the Visa for Brics Members.

I am just not sure if the Thai view on things on the long or short term also will fit with the other members. not sure because Thai governments come will bring changes.

• Haha 1

The Thais need to be very careful they don't break any international sanctions regarding Russia. It will only take a mention at the UN meeting to point the finger at Thailand & the Thais would be facing some real financial sanctions. If that happens the free visa lark wouldn't be worth a carrot compared with what could happen as a back-lash.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2023 at 2:08 PM, Frankie baby said:

The Thais need to be very careful they don't break any international sanctions regarding Russia. It will only take a mention at the UN meeting to point the finger at Thailand & the Thais would be facing some real financial sanctions. If that happens the free visa lark wouldn't be worth a carrot compared with what could happen as a back-lash.   

Well they seem to allow Russian flights and accept their currency etc etc, what 'International' sanctions are there? Doubt they could pass any at the UN as there is the Russian and Chinese veto, and India and others will vote against. Sanctions seem to have little impact on Russia judging by them overrunning Phuket enjoying life... retaliatory sanctions against Thailand are unlikely.

• Confused 1