Bangkok’s reckless foreign rider roils social media, netizens demand action

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do these traffic offences carry prison sentences?

I'm sure if someone is a serial offender the penalty could easily justify a night in the cells till dealt with by a judge. 

You I assume by your header are English many poll tax protesters finished up in jail for a civil offence so any offence can escalate to be an offence that can land you in jail. 

If as stated he is a menace to everyone you won't hear me crying for him 

52 minutes ago, transam said:

On Ducati's........?  🤔

Two years ago Hwy 7,  Pattaya, as I got on at the Nongprue toll plaza big bike Thai flew by 120 plus right lane I was traveling 60 on shoulder I could see ahead traffic came to a stand still he nevrr brake thought he was Evil Kenevil, bike hit guard rail he fly off hit head on to center lamp post snap!  He had no chance he wss on a Ducati.

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Numerous Thai TikTokers have shared video footage of the foreign motorcyclist on their profiles, with some asserting that spotting him on Sukhumvit Road is a telltale sign. His distinctive riding style has certainly made an impression on other motorists.

Fair enough, the guy is an idiot but I wonder if those 'TikTokers' also make videos of the thousands of Thai car drivers and motorbike riders that go through red lights, 30 seconds after they've changed, every day in Thailand?

I suspect not.

On that subject, I found it hard to believe that the police had a set of lights taken out and replaced with 2 U-turns close to where I live - purely because of the amount of deaths and serious accidents caused by people 'running' those lights.  Why the hell can't they just make the Thai's behave?  Too much like hard work.

U turns are really safe aren't they..............not!

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Fair enough, the guy is an idiot but I wonder if those 'TikTokers' also make videos of the thousands of Thai car drivers and motorbike riders that go through red lights, 30 seconds after they've changed, every day in Thailand?

I suspect not.

On that subject, I found it hard to believe that the police had a set of lights taken out and replaced with 2 U-turns close to where I live - purely because of the amount of deaths and serious accidents caused by people 'running' those lights.  Why the hell can't they just make the Thai's behave?  Too much like hard work.

U turns are really safe aren't they..............not!

U-turns are fine, as long as they don't do both directions at the same U-turn, and don't put up traffic signs that block the view of the driver that is making the U-turn.

Red lights are death traps, because every red light I will see 5 cars, 2 ten wheeler trucks and a 50 seater tourist bus go through them.

Just last night I had a car in front of me, and the driver had his phone in a holder on his dashboard, and was playing games on it.

Do I need to say that he went straight through the next red traffic light without his brake lights even flashing for a millisecond?

32 minutes ago, BenStark said:

U-turns are fine, as long as they don't do both directions at the same U-turn, and don't put up traffic signs that block the view of the driver that is making the U-turn.

Red lights are death traps, because every red light I will see 5 cars, 2 ten wheeler trucks and a 50 seater tourist bus go through them.

Just last night I had a car in front of me, and the driver had his phone in a holder on his dashboard, and was playing games on it.

Do I need to say that he went straight through the next red traffic light without his brake lights even flashing for a millisecond?

I really can't agree with you on U-Turns being fine and I think most people here would agree. There are thousands of accidents at U-Turns every year, some for the reasons you state but in my experience, the biggest one is people making the U-Turn when its not safe to do so.  That can either be them just being impatient or the fact that traffic's so heavy that they've been waiting ages and take a chance.

I've seen people run red lights in the UK but never so blatantly or so long after they've changed to red as they do in Thailand - why?  Because of the fear of being fined, losing your licence etc. etc. Thai's know very well that no matter how badly they behave on the roads they are highly unlikely to get caught and when they do, they just pay a couple of hundred baht and get on their way, even if they don't even have a licence.

The particular junction I'm referring to - where the lights have now been replaced with a single U-Turn in each direction, 500m apart is now a real pain in the A. Its in a Thai tourist area so at weekends/holiday times you can be waiting forever to turn - the traffic just keeps on coming.  And that's if you are allowed to get to it in the first place - exiting the original junction, turning left and trying to get into the right hand lane to enter the Turn can be impossible.  There have been several occasions where I've had to travel 2km down the road to the next U-turn.

Sorry, most of the problems on Thai roads are directly related to non-enforcement of the rules.  Drivers would not behave the way they do if they knew they would be punished accordingly.  The new points system won't help either - how do you put points on or take a licence off someone who's never had one?  Many Thai's have never held a licence yet drive every day.

My ex wife was stopped twice at road blocks and asked to produce her licence - she didn't have one, just said she'd left it at home - 200 bht - on her way. The only thing the police are interested in is the 'fines' they can collect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I suppose that they do that in your country, yes, it's not something that you're suggesting just for Thailand, surely?

in my province back home going 50kmh over the speed limit is an automatic license suspension and they do take your car on the road right there. the car is impounded until the court case is finished. 

drinking and driving also carries quite similar laws now too. :) then you have insurance that triples after. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Foreigners should stop copying the Thais to fit into their culture. You will never be Thai. You no understand Thai culture. 

If course we don't. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. That is what some of us love about the place. 

If I wanted boring, easily predictable, and easily comprehensible, I would have stayed in America. 

• Like 1

• Bangkok’s reckless foreign rider roils social media, netizens demand action
  • Swiss Fugitive Arrested in Thailand on Drug Charges
  • Hearing Put Off In Koh Phangan Murder Case

Interesting, that within 24 hours there are three headlines of those bad, bad alien dirty farang breaking the law. 

While I agree to take them to reason and responsibility of what they did/might have done it clearly shows the increase of media racism, as - during the very same time - tens of  thousands of law breakers of Thai origin could have been reported. 

The result is, that the public views non-Thais as evil, overly rich, lazy and for those reasons easy targets to be cheated, overcharged and lied upon - me thinks! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, stoner said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I suppose that they do that in your country, yes, it's not something that you're suggesting just for Thailand, surely?

in my province back home going 50kmh over the speed limit is an automatic license suspension and they do take your car on the road right there. the car is impounded until the court case is finished. 

"...the car is impounded until the court case is finished". 

Completely different from those "Confiscate the bike!" or "Crush the bike!" rants from AN posters demanding instant "justice" to which I was referring.   They do not do that in "your province back home".

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...the car is impounded until the court case is finished". 

Completely different from those "Confiscate the bike!" or "Crush the bike!" rants from AN posters demanding instant "justice" to which I was referring.   They do not do that in "your province back home".

not my country but .......

https://www.drive.com.au/news/a-brutal-message-from-victoria-police-we-will-crush-your-car/

10 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Interesting, that within 24 hours there are three headlines of those bad, bad alien dirty farang breaking the law. 

While I agree to take them to reason and responsibility of what they did/might have done it clearly shows the increase of media racism, as - during the very same time - tens of  thousands of law breakers of Thai origin could have been reported. 

The result is, that the public views non-Thais as evil, overly rich, lazy and for those reasons easy targets to be cheated, overcharged and lied upon - me thinks! 

You forgot dirty.

Do you not think the reporting in the English language news might be nuanced towards Farang because they read English ?

On 10/26/2023 at 4:15 AM, Lemsta69 said:

Nothing wrong with that, especially if they're bringing me my Maccas feed. Just move out of their way and let them get on with it, it's all part of the charm of living here compared to say, boring old Singapore the 'fine' city.

Best comment on this thread, and I couldn't agree more     It never ceases to amaze me how many on here seek to change Thailand into a copy of their miserable, boring , over regulated home countries. Most of us who have been here for any significant length of time came here because it was a walk on the the wild side , seamy, edgy  exciting and wild  and of course potentially dangerous.  That is exactly what attracted us here! 

But recently there appears to be more and more pompous whinging killjoy types popping up on here, demanding more laws, harsher penalties, in this case  deportation and even jail time,   These pipe and slipper, retired school teacher types should really consider relocating rather than trying to spoil it here for the rest of us  There is no room and precious little interest by the majority of Thais  for excessive western style health and safety or political correctness here , and long may it remain so.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:54 AM, Sydebolle said:

Do you read the Thai news ???

The articles you read on this forum are targeted towards Westerners with a lot of news about Westerners - it stands to reason that we'll see more of such news.