"I am the heir to Blair" ! says Starmer after historic Tory by-election wipeout.

Social Media

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Whenever Brown's name comes up I remember the 6 BILLION quid he wasted on the NHS which was used for fancy buildings and more managers.

Such a shame. He deserved his dumping in the election. Don't hear much about him now. Perhaps he is hiding from the outraged populace.

Back when waiting lists were reduced to days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RayC said:

There is no perfect electoral system. There are many problems with PR, but at least it has the benefit of ensuring that all individual votes matter to some extent.

The main benefit claimed for a FPTP system is that it delivers 'strong' government. The governance of the UK since 2016 suggests otherwise.

We will have to agree to disagree on that.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:01 PM, RayC said:

There is no perfect electoral system. There are many problems with PR, but at least it has the benefit of ensuring that all individual votes matter to some extent.

The main benefit claimed for a FPTP system is that it delivers 'strong' government. The governance of the UK since 2016 suggests otherwise.

The illusion of strength may be an attraction but the reality is that the Johnson government was handed an 80 seat majority with only 40% of the votes. Democracy is not served by FPTP.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 10:55 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't want PR. It's in NZ and I wish it wasn't, as it was why that awful woman was able to win and make my life <deleted>.

I think first past the post is way better.

Lol so now PR is to blame for your bad life choices? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds.

20 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, after all why would you want to give everyone a vote that counts when you know best already.

All it does is allow parties a majority don't want as the government the opportunity to become the government, speaking as someone that had 6 years of a government unwanted by a majority of voters.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The illusion of strength may be an attraction but the reality is that the Johnson government was handed an 80 seat majority with only 40% of the votes. Democracy is not served by FPTP.

Democracy, IMO, is an illusion. I have never in my lifetime been in an actual democracy.

"Democracy", IMO, is a buzz word used by those that control our world to fool the peasants that they actually have some say in how they are governed.

• Haha 1