Emergency electricity charges to land in Isaan

Jaunty

Purchased some land 1 year ago and built a house. All permits etc. obtained and all in Thai wife's name. She has been paying "emergency electricity" charges since then which are on average 4 to 5 times more than the usual metered charge. The local government office tells us the meter provided to one of the previous owners has been "taken" and we must search for it. Was wondering if anyone has some experience or advice regarding the above. Is it not the power company's responsibility to provide a meter? Any advice appreciated.

SWMBO......says we paid 4000 baht for our emergency meter whilst her house was being built......once she got the blue book she got the 4000 baht back (I never saw any of that) but then paid 700 baht for the standard meter.........she might be totally wrong but I just nod...sage like.

• Love It 1

We paid 10k to PEA on the start of building, we were repaid the difference after they put a 'Normal' meter on, I can't remember if we had to pay for the different meter.

18 hours ago, Jaunty said:

The local government office tells us the meter provided to one of the previous owners has been "taken" and we must search for it. Was wondering if anyone has some experience

That sounds like BS to me why would land without a building even have a meter?

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

We paid 10k to PEA on the start of building, we were repaid the difference after they put a 'Normal' meter on, I can't remember if we had to pay for the different meter.

There was a building on the land and it was pulled down.

• Thanks 1

We never got the 'construction' meter replaced once our house was built and paid the construction tariff (double the normal domestic rate) for nearly 5 years before finally querying it. PEA helpfully worked out that we had paid an extra 75,000 Baht over the 5 year period. I think we had to pay a 'bribe' of 5000 Baht to get the new meter installed in a timely way (they said it would take 6 months).

Edited by Stevemercer

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I have seen many small businesses such as 'restaurants and plant nurseries thrown on of main roadside verges and supplied wuth electicity and water via metered supply. The retailers now squatting on public land pay 'rent' to the local Tessaban. Although some have been in place for years they are temporary and can be evicted at any time.

Can anyone tell me what I need to complete to get the emergency meter exchanged to a real meter, we are currently under construction - Do I need to have a house book before getting real electricity? Its not an issue, the power is a couple of hundred every month, cheaper than going 50/50 with the neighbors as we did at the start, but I would like to start building towards completion.