Electricity may exceed ฿4 per unit next year

webfact

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

Why would there be a need to upgrade the national infrastructure? Most EVs are charged at home at night when there is low demand for electricity from industries and businesses.

You obviously haven’t thought through your post and obviously don’t own an EV. 

Yes, that's why new charging stations have been built all over the country, so people can go there for 3 hours after their work day to charge their car. 

*Disclaimer * 

I neither own an EV nor did I think through this post. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Yes, that's why new charging stations have been built all over the country, so people can go there for 3 hours after their work day to charge their car. 

*Disclaimer * 

I neither own an EV nor did I think through this post. 

Sounds to me like you’re misinformed. Firstly, it doesn’t take 3 hours to charge the average EV. At fast DC charging stations, maybe just 10 mins if charging daily after work. However most EV owners charge at home and this is typically done when they are cuddling their teerak in bed so effectively, the time spent is about 15 seconds (not the cuddling but inserting the charger into the car).

Your last sentence is an extremely accurate statement of your circumstance.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Why would there be a need to upgrade the national infrastructure? Most EVs are charged at home at night when there is low demand for electricity from industries and businesses.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Electric Cars Are a Scam | The Epoch Times

image.jpeg.c185428e1e570da5e5f28d8c20e483bc.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Sounds to me like you’re misinformed. Firstly, it doesn’t take 3 hours to charge the average EV. At fast DC charging stations, maybe just 10 mins if charging daily after work. However most EV owners charge at home and this is typically done when they are cuddling their teerak in bed so effectively, the time spent is about 15 seconds (not the cuddling but inserting the charger into the car).

Your last sentence is an extremely accurate statement of your circumstance.

https://www.realclearenergy.org/articles/2023/10/25/the_political_risks_of_mandating_evs_for_everyone_988506.html

This is a balanced, well written essay about EVs.  One of the similes used in the essay is the comparison between airplanes and helicopters in the aviation industry. The link just came up in one of my feeds.  Google isn't watching us. 

It's worth a read if anyone has the time and interest in the subject.  

https://surplusenergyeconomics.wordpress.com/

Dr. Tim Morgan discusses the theory that all economies are based on surplus energy.  He's a big supporter of alternative energy sources, yet provides a balanced and realistic appraisal of their viability.  Apolitical.

The link is to the blog, not to any particular entry to support a position I take on the subject.  The comments on his blog are intelligent and appear to be carefully considered.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Could contain:

Could contain:

How big is your solar array?  From those numbers I'd guess around 2kw. Do you have an inverter for the car charger, or does the power feed directly into the grid?  Do you have storage as well? 

13 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

The CEO of Toyota has come out and stated they are stopping the production of EV's. Maybe later they will resume but they think they have a better option with Hydrogen based fuel.

Thanks, I have been reading recently about this. Most manufacturers are coming out and saying EV's may not be viable. I believe the fires, and high insurance may be the problem. However, I have also been reading a lot about Hydrogen. More than one manufacturer has the technology, but I guess it is the oil companies, and governments who control what goes on the roads. I mean, if you had a car whose exhaust was water, how can you steal money under false pretenses of global warming by introducing ULEZ and other such cons.

15 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Nobody just magically "has" a solar installation, they pay a small fortune for it and the system rarely pays for itself. 

I searched "how many solar panels to power a Tesla" and came up with this: 

Thanks for the comic relief .. priceless ignorance is always good for a chuckle.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/28/2023 at 7:30 AM, KhunLA said:

Didn't realize

I agree you didn't realize. Conflict and uncertainty always increases prices of basics world over. Supply disruptions, insurance premiums all go up whilst more money is wasted on bombs that could have been spent on something more beneficial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Bit of education. Yes you can charge at home but the electricity still comes from the grid. Do you think it appears magically from somewhere else? Solar and wind do not produce sufficient electricity to fill the difference and even if they did, you have to store the electricity generated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thanks, I have been reading recently about this. Most manufacturers are coming out and saying EV's may not be viable. I believe the fires, and high insurance may be the problem. However, I have also been reading a lot about Hydrogen. More than one manufacturer has the technology, but I guess it is the oil companies, and governments who control what goes on the roads. I mean, if you had a car whose exhaust was water, how can you steal money under false pretenses of global warming by introducing ULEZ and other such cons.

I totally agree with you. Toyota have stopped producing them, Honda have cut back to the point of only clearing the ones in production. BMW is looking for some other fuel. These are major players and when they pull back you have to take notice.

Even if they did turn out to be the future what about people living in apartments / condos? Where will they charge up?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Why don't you ask people here who actually have solar and EVs then you might get some facts.

A 10kW PV system would be able to run a 7kW AC wall charger for at least 6 hours a day after powering the house = 42kWh @ 7.5km/kWh = 315km/day - should cover daily usage

My Payback:
Main Components
20,000 Watts of PV @ ฿9/W = ฿180,000
9kWh LiFePO4 Batteries ฿68,000 x 4 = ฿272,000
Inverters ฿36,000 x 3 = ฿108,000
= ฿560,000

Savings: 
PEA saving ฿5,000/month
Fuel saving for 2 drivers ฿5,000/month 
= ฿120,000/Year saving 
Payback = 4.6 Years - after which free electricity and driving

Your panel and storage costs are a fraction of what we're paying in North America. Actually, all of your costs are a fraction of what we pay. The electricity costs here in Thailand are higher and the sun shines for most of the year, making the system viable. 

I paid:

$1/per watt (35 baht?) for my 12v panels 14,00 baht 

5760 watts @12v LiFePO4   103,000 baht

12v inverter/charger 15,500 baht

solar controller 5,500  baht. 

The panels should be good for four more years, the batteries might never need to be replaced, but the charge controller and inverter both had to be replaced after 5 years.  This is for an installation I did on my camper van, used in Canada, where the sun shines for 5 months if we're lucky. There are 4x 100 watts of flat mounted panels, which isn't the most effective way of gathering sunlight at that latitude.

I was ignorant of the cost inputs here in Thailand. Thanks for clearing it up. 

The EV debate has far more aspects than just how much you pay or don't pay for the electricity to power your car.  I'll leave that alone because it looks like the worm is turning on that one, and the problem of EVs is going to be self limiting. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

evidently you believe the electricity comes from no where. You have Generators plus associated equipment, You need distribution network upgrading plus the storage facilities. Didnt you even consider these issues?

This was your carefully considered reply to  @Gweiloman post "Why would there be a need to upgrade the national infrastructure? Most EVs are charged at home at night when there is low demand for electricity from industries and businesses."

If there wasn't less demand and more supply capacity at night why would PEA & MEA offer TOU Tariffs?

MEATimeOfRate.jpg.dd14aca39dc809808edfcc4936514caf.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

This was your carefully considered reply to  @Gweiloman post "Why would there be a need to upgrade the national infrastructure? Most EVs are charged at home at night when there is low demand for electricity from industries and businesses."

If there wasn't less demand and more supply capacity at night why would PEA & MEA offer TOU Tariffs?

MEATimeOfRate.jpg.dd14aca39dc809808edfcc4936514caf.jpg

Breaking news for you, the electricity has to come from somewhere. Many people cannot charge from home and even if you can where is the electricityh going to come from. Maybe sprinkle some oofle dust and it magically appears?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Breaking news for you, the electricity has to come from somewhere. Many people cannot charge from home and even if you can where is the electricityh going to come from. Maybe sprinkle some oofle dust and it magically appears?

stay off the "oofle dust" my fiend 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

stay off the "oofle dust" my fiend 

I ban it from the house but apparently some people think the electricity comes from a place that can just increase the output by a significant amount. All electrical companies have a spin reserve but it is only a few percent and certainly not enough for everyone to charge an electric vehicle.

• Sad 1