Heading to Japan, TOMORROW...

GammaGlobulin

On 10/28/2023 at 6:12 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

After I arrive in Japan, I will commit more time to my research of Yukio Mishima. 

Spring Snow is the most beautiful book I have ever read. 

Cherry blossoms and falling snow. 

A bridge over a brook. 

Parasols. 

Students in uniform. 

A Japan before The Great War. 

I will find it. 

Not this time of year you won't.

But no harm in being early.

Bon voyage then.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:29 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Japan is not expensive if you are able to be satisfied with mostly noodles. 

Buckwheat noodles are the best in Japan. 

In Japan, when dining, portion size is about 0.25 of American dishes. 

Also, living down on the docks in Yokohama can be cheaper than you might think.. 

Not when I was there.

27 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Il take seven GGs over a single big nok, bob, or any of that ilk. 

I'll take none of the above.

I'm out of these threads. Full of useless nonsense.

Japan and Space-time. Get high on LSD and see if you can make the connection.

If you ask him to explain what space-time is, he won't be able to.

He's just tossing around fancy references to make himself sound intelligent.

Goes to one of the more interesting cultures on the planet and claims it's boring. What a joke. 

Edited by save the frogs

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Also, comparatively, the food here... Stinks!

And, my room here in Kyoto is only about 6 tatami. 

Next month, I will move outside the city... And I hope to find a farmhouse to live in a village with an average age of 78...

There are not many children here being born. IMHO, Japan should radically revise its immigration policy to welcome more Chinese people. 

Being here in Kyoto, at this moment, what bothers me most... is the recent passing of Jeff Beck. 

25 years ago, when Jeff Beck performed in Tokyo, Japan was still ALIVE. 

More non-stop nonsense from the biggest nonsense generator in the history of the world.

Jeff Beck has nothing to do with nothing.

And maybe it's your feet that stink, not the japanese food.

Why take drugs kids. Just read non-stop nonsense on here. It will mess up your brain just as badly. 

On 10/31/2023 at 4:10 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The Ginza is where I'd like to hang out and should I ever win enough millions on lotto, that's my destination.

I'd like to go to the AKB48 shows as well.

Not interested in ordinary Japanese women as they would have nothing to offer me.

”The Ginza"?🤣 What are you like 80 yrs old ?   It is just called Ginza. That is a ham-handed Americanism that went out with the 23 Skidoo.  Same ”Fujiyama”  ”Bullet Train” and Karioki. No such thing exists.

Could contain:

8 hours ago, a3tsw said:

I have arrived in Otaru , Hokkaido , Japan yesterday from Phuket , today is a National holiday , there are many people out in the parks and hiking on the trails as the weather is glorious and the trees are a multiple of colours as the leaves begin to fall. You need to ditch the books and venture outdoors if you wish to meet your dream companion..Good Luck.

If you have time, the Otaru Brewing Company in the downtown has some very tasty beverages. There is also a fresh fish market called the Triangle Market where you can get huge portions of quality sashimi fresh from the fishing fleet.

One of my fav towns in Japan.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

My spouse and I are visiting the Kyoto area and the weather here has been spectacular, as well.  We were afraid it would be cold this time of the year but the temperatures have been in the 60s Fahrenheit with sun and blue skies, cooler in the mornings and evenings.  The autumn leaves are at their peak--beautiful drive through the mountains today.  The Silver Pavilion in Kyoto is a must-visit if anybody gets to Kyoto.  Wonder places to visit in this area, including an ancient village.  I love Japanese architecture and gardens--it's been a terrific visit so far.  And, not a too-long plane ride--Osaka was just around 6 hours from Bangkok.

The area called Arashiyama in the west of Kyoto has amazing fall colours, and a lovely river to boot. Good place to walk around, scenic gardens, well worth an afternoon. 

Plus of course Kiyomizu Temple in the east. Amazing place, plus it is the start of a walking path called Tetsugaku no Michi (Philosophers Path) which goes along the Gion River and is very scenic.

Woke up.  Ate a plate of rice and one slice of cabbage.  Walked around a grey dull city.  Drank cherry blossom water, it tasted like soap, brought some pepsi.  Went back to room.  Watched TV.  Just bonsais and politics on every channel.  I am neither a tourist nor a citizen.  Hated by everyone.  All the teachers are Filipinos can't find a job.  No money left.  Yay Japan.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

If you have time, the Otaru Brewing Company in the downtown has some very tasty beverages. There is also a fresh fish market called the Triangle Market where you can get huge portions of quality sashimi fresh from the fishing fleet.

One of my fav towns in Japan.

Thanks for this info , will certainly pay a visit to the fish market , but will have to wait some time before doing so as we just did a shopping trip to Costco yesterday and filled the fridge & freezer up..👍

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

why would young people wish to procreate? 

When women are educated and have careers that make them wealthy, why would Japanese women marry into the salaryman culture to a life revolving around a man and children? They are probably the most sane women on the planet not to look at marriage as something desirable.

As anyone that knows my rambling understands, I have no wish to see children in a world rapidly being destroyed by overpopulation, so Japanese women are carrying the torch for depopulation, and kudos to them for it.

While I am a male, I look at the males on offer in my life and for the most part I have to wonder why women are so desperate to marry them.

PS. I also look at the women on offer in my life and I have to wonder why any sane man would marry them.

The successful marriages that I know personally number 1 and in that case my friend and his wife were both exceptionally nice people.

The few that stayed together devolved into some sort of loveless cohabitation.

PPS, Yes I did get married for a while, but I plead insanity as a reason.

On 11/3/2023 at 1:26 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Truth be told, I am, already, missing, so much, Thailand. 

I think that I made the worst decision in my life... coming to Japan. 

I have no sympathy. If you didn't go and stay a while to see if you like it before moving for good you got the predictable result.

When I moved permanently ( or I had hoped to ) I had visited Thailand many times for long periods, so knew exactly what I was moving to.

The overhyped kit kat and wasabi disappointed me so much.  The first time I ate wasabi I was excited.  And it's just Colmans Mustard that I have had countless times with roast beef.  It doesn't even go with white meat.  Just a mouth full of mustard thanks for that.

When I first tried the green tea kit kat it was like eating soap.  There's a reason why the original is the most popular one.  They can't make cakes or sandwiches and they struggle with ice cream.

Thai people speak better English.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Does Japan have nothing more than food to offer?

Beautiful mountains, amazing temples, 25 Unesco World Heritage Sites, cool cities (especially Osaka), reasonably priced booze and wine.  Other than that, not much. 

21 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

The area called Arashiyama in the west of Kyoto has amazing fall colours, and a lovely river to boot. Good place to walk around, scenic gardens, well worth an afternoon. 

Plus of course Kiyomizu Temple in the east. Amazing place, plus it is the start of a walking path called Tetsugaku no Michi (Philosophers Path) which goes along the Gion River and is very scenic.

Thanks for the info!

20 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

The overhyped kit kat and wasabi disappointed me so much.  The first time I ate wasabi I was excited.  And it's just Colmans Mustard that I have had countless times with roast beef.  It doesn't even go with white meat.  Just a mouth full of mustard thanks for that.

When I first tried the green tea kit kat it was like eating soap.  There's a reason why the original is the most popular one.  They can't make cakes or sandwiches and they struggle with ice cream.

LOL.

Go to a foreign country and expect them to speak English!

The difference I expect is that while Thailand people depend to a certain extent on English speaking tourists, I doubt most Japanese gives a rat's bottom about English speaking tourists.

BTW, the Japanese people I have met outside Japan have no problem speaking acceptable English.

On 11/4/2023 at 12:40 AM, save the frogs said:

Goes to one of the more interesting cultures on the planet and claims it's boring. What a joke. 

I've always held the opinion that if one goes to a foreign country and finds it boring, the problem is within, rather than the place one has moved to.

It's like the posters that complain that Thailand is boring. If they got their head outside and had a look around, Thailand is certainly one of the most interesting countries I've ever been to, with something new around every corner.

I guess warming the same bar stool day after day probably does get boring.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've always held the opinion that if one goes to a foreign country and finds it boring, the problem is within, rather than the place one has moved to.

It's like the posters that complain that Thailand is boring. If they got their head outside and had a look around, Thailand is certainly one of the most interesting countries I've ever been to, with something new around every corner.

I guess warming the same bar stool day after day probably does get boring.

or, maybe it being interesting is all in your head. it's really boring.

Edited by JimTripper