About coffee in Thailand

gejohesch

2 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Not from elephant, but from civits.   Actually raised here at Chumphon, TH, and saw them, had coffee, and nothing special.   Nothing like the prices quoted.

Royal Development Project ร้านกาแฟขี้ชะมดโครงการพัฒนาส่วนพระองค์ จ.ชุมพร

image.png.8df55ca326e8f2441d9a1eabeaf237cb.png

image.png.bef1a2c166e6a511c880339d6a6343e9.png

Kopi luwak

Asian Palm Civit

Edited by KhunLA

I used to bring 15 30 packs of 250 gr of Lavazza coffee in my luggage.

My son came to visit me this year, and brought me some 15 10 kilos also of the same coffee.

About 500 bahts here for 250 grams. In my country, about 75 bahts.

I got checked only one time, the year i brought some 40 packs of 250 gr, and I joked so much about it with the staff who opened my luggage, that the woman in charge of immigration security just closed my luggage and told me to go. I was asking the staff if they wanted a few packs for themselves, telling them that I might have brought too much coffee for my stay.

But since I got stuck for some 4 years here due to the pandemic, I ended up buying Arabica Robusta from Boncafé. Was actually fine, considering my reluctance in buying Italian coffee here, where the price is related more to excise tax rather than coffee...

Edited by Andre0720
Amount of kilos corrected

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

For others, that don't need to fondle their beans before buying:  Cafe Roma

Another vote for คาเฟ่โรม่า (Cafe Roma) on Shopee.  They have all kinds of beans & roasts, extremely reasonably priced, and arrives within a day or two.  I get the dark Italian espresso and grind it fine, even though I also use a French press -- I respect a cup of coffee that can stand up and fight back. 

This stuff will put lead in your pencil, even if you don't have anybody to write to.

Edited by retiree
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, retiree said:

Another vote for คาเฟ่โรม่า (Cafe Roma) on Shopee.  They have all kinds of beans & roasts, extremely reasonably priced, and arrives within a day or two.  I get the dark Italian espresso and grind it fine, even though I also use a French press -- I respect a cup of coffee that can stand up and fight back. 

This stuff will put lead in your pencil, even if you don't have anybody to write to.

Also grind if fine, and use a French press.  Even pour through a natural paper filter, as the press screen won't catch the fine grinds.  Plus it filters the cafestrol out, or so I read.

I also think the fine grind gets you a stronger & better yield.

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Even pour through a natural paper filter,

I add a second mesh screen; might help but I'm pretty sure the littlest bits are sneaking around the edge rather than through the filter per se.  I poured though a paper filter exactly one time before I came to my senses -- decided to man up & just let the grounds settle in the coffee cup, like Clint Eastwood probably does (assuming he's not straining them out with his teeth).  

My liver laughs at cafestrol.

• Haha 2

On 10/31/2023 at 8:44 AM, JimTripper said:

what i need is like a costco in the usa that has a premium selection of 2 pound bags at a good price, not a novelty bag of beans from a cafe that's way overpriced for someone that drinks coffee all day. yep, 2 pounds, not a small 250 g bag to make tiny cups and skimp on the coffee. i also don't re-use the grounds a second time if your asking 🤔.

If you are in Bangkok and at all handy to Phra Khanong, on Sukhumvit 71, just a few doors past Soi (Pridi) 16 is "Abstract 13", a high end coffee equipment and bean distributor servicing the hotel industry.  They have their own blends of beans, sold in whatever quantity one wants.  I have directed several coffee aficionados with more discerning taste than mine and they all now buy beans there.  The "Abstract Blue" blend, available in both medium and dark roast seems especially popular. 

• Thanks 1

Vietnamese G7 Black at Jomtien bus station Family Market. 15 pack box 49 THB. That's $ 0.07/ea

- takes 1min 30 sec to make

- try -:)

PS. BigC price:

G7 Instant Coffee 2 G. x 15 Packets

ID: 46936
฿59.00/ Box

I've never got on with Robusta personally, all down to our own tastes.  I've tried numerous brands over the years, including many Arabica / Robusta mixes in varying proportions, all in search of a favourite.  I just stick to 100% Arabica now.  Robusta certainly has price going for it, it's the first thing I look for if I see a very cheap / bargain coffee, 99% of the time it's because it's Robusta.  I do find it to be be more bitter with a stronger and harsher taste, less sweet tasting than Arabica, pretty much as per the dozens of websites I've looked at, when I started looking beyond Nescafe all those years ago, said. It has up to double the caffeine content of Arabica, accounting for the bitter taste. 

Edited by SooKee

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

The more roasting, darker, the less caffeine. 

The collective wisdom of Quora, Reddit, and the sources they pointed suggest that when measured by weight, light and dark roasts have practically the same amount of caffeine.  By volume, the dark roasts are a little puffier and hence a particular volume will have slightly less caffeine.

Is there a source or lab test that takes the other position? Perhaps that the heating process reduces the amount of caffeine?  I think what we can all agree on, though, is that dark roasts do not have more caffeine.

Edited by retiree
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you don't like shopping online can you tell us where you are based? For me I buy from tan monkey or fatman coffee on Lazada. I usually buy blends to keep the cost down but they sell beans from all over the world. I normally buy 1kg for about 800baht. As I am based in Nakhon Pathom though I can easily walk into at least two roasters and buy from them in person. 

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll answer my own question, no don't press down the ground coffee for a Moka pot, coffee struggles to get out

AFAIK tamping is only needed for Espresso machines.  When I was trying to fathom the best method I started doing a gentle tamp just to level the grounds a bit in my Moka pot and even that caused problems.  I do use a paper filter in the pot though, sits between the grounds and the top filter.  I found using one slightly smaller than the rubber seal better, an exact fit led to coffee bubbling out because the seal was not tight.

Edited by SooKee

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

AFAIK tamping is only needed for Espresso machines.  When I was trying to fathom the best method I started doing a gentle tamp just to level the grounds a bit in my Moka pot and even that caused problems.  I do use a paper filter in the pot though, sits between the grounds and the top filter.  I found using one slightly smaller than the rubber seal better, an exact fit led to coffee bubbling out because the seal was not tight.

Yes must be a machine thing as not enough pressure in a Moka pot

22 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Vietnamese G7 Black at Jomtien bus station Family Market. 15 pack box 49 THB. That's $ 0.07/ea

- takes 1min 30 sec to make

- try -:)

PS. BigC price:

G7 Instant Coffee 2 G. x 15 Packets

ID: 46936
฿59.00/ Box

That is a ridiculous price, since a cup needs 7gr of instant coffee.

I know the manufacturers tell you 2gr is enough, otherwise it would be too obvious they are ripping you off, but I go by my taste and just asked ChatGPT, who seems to agree with me

image.png.05cf13a9dcdf358072eede96935f0baf.png

I buy, and like the Tchibo Gold, often in promotion at 199 baht per 200 gram

I am more convinced then ever that Thailand has been producing some of the best coffee in the world.  For me the shiny dark beans the OP refers to are not acidity at all and have a full strong flavor for my taste.  In fact the lighter roast are seem much more acidity.

Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are producing some great coffee.  Had a Nan coffee recently it was fantastic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes must be a machine thing as not enough pressure in a Moka pot

I have a 15 bar pressure machine and I gently apply a little pressure to the grounds this flattens any air pockets ensuring an even water flow thoughout the grounds.

On 10/31/2023 at 6:20 PM, KhunLA said:

Not from elephant, but from civits.   Actually raised here at Chumphon, TH, and saw them, had coffee, and nothing special.   Nothing like the prices quoted.

Royal Development Project ร้านกาแฟขี้ชะมดโครงการพัฒนาส่วนพระองค์ จ.ชุมพร

image.png.8df55ca326e8f2441d9a1eabeaf237cb.png

image.png.bef1a2c166e6a511c880339d6a6343e9.png

Kopi luwak

Asian Palm Civit

I agree nothing special about the taste and too expensive 

Move on to grinders?   I recently got this via Shopee:

Cuisinart Automatic Burr Mill coffee bean grinder model DBM-8  

https://shopee.co.th/Cuisinart-Automatic-Burr-Mill-เครื่องบดเมล็ดกาแฟ-รุ่น-DBM-8-i.29967969.402279111

3,992 baht domestic, a bit cheaper from Korea, vs. $59.95 Amazon, but +$64.50 shipping / VAT so no savings.  I got it because it was the only brand on Lazada / Shopee that a) I recognized, b) could find reviews of, and c) wasn't astronomically expensive.  

My impression is that it's a great little $60 grinder, although not not quite so great as a 4K baht grinder.  Does a reasonable job:  fairly consistent, and pretty fine (but not as fine as a pro grinder, like the pre-ground coffee from Cafe Roma on Shopee).  However, it has a high RPM / low torque motor, and I'm concerned it will conk out in a few years.

Does anybody have any moderately priced alternatives for fine grind / durable?   I usually grind about 50gm, so not teeny tiny.  

"That is a ridiculous price, since a cup needs 7gr of instant coffee.

I know the manufacturers tell you 2gr is enough, otherwise it would be too obvious they are ripping you off, but I go by my taste and just asked ChatGPT, who seems to agree with me"

I was able to use my own brain and 2gr is just fine IF I use/drink G7.....

ALL others are junk! Try G7 and let me know what you think.

I just try help to save money and have a great coffee.

I drink 2 liters of coffee a day.  5 x 0.4L cup.

5 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I know the manufacturers tell you 2gr is enough, otherwise it would be too obvious they are ripping you off, but I go by my taste and just asked ChatGPT, who seems to agree with me"

I have tried that Vietnamese G7 from Big C on offer, 1 sachet definitely not enough, I had 2, didn't buy again

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

You use 2gr (1 packet ) for 400ml cup of coffee?  Would think the directions call for 120-150ml of water.

I use 30-35gr of fresh ground coffee for 400ml of coffee.   That's fine grind & seeps for 10 minutes, in French Press.