Fertility crisis set to halve Thailand’s population in six decades

webfact

1 minute ago, tkramer said:

I believe he is mentioned in the Video.

And how does him being mentioned affects the message? 

Ok

Here is a video in which Elon Musk is not mentioned once. In fact no one is mentioned so it is sure not to have any people you don't like mentioned

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This article is very misleading. There may be a crisis but it does not appear to be a fertility crisis, it appears to be a desire amongst many to simply reproduce less.

That is exactly what the fertility rate is. The Number of people born regardless of the reason. 

Why people are not having more children is neither discussed in the article not is it relevant. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

The article is poorly written and highly misleading. A fertility crisis suggests that a lowering of fertility rates is the primary issue. That is not the case, couples deciding to have less children is not an issue of fertility, it's simply an issue of common sense and reason. I would not want to be a child brought into the world at this time. Some may think having a child right now is bordering and being cruel. Too much instability in the world and too much craziness, not a good time to be having a kid. 

Um, I don't think the concept's all that hard to grasp. Fertility rates as discussed in demographics are a statistical concept not a biological one. Given infant mortality you need approx 2.1 babies on average from every woman to reproduce the current population level. Fewer than that and the population begins to decline. More than that and it increases.

Experience shows that, in the modern world once the trend moves in one or other direction, it's immensely difficult to make it change back. The reason being that people in the modern world make conscious lifestyle choices under various social & economic influences.

People in the old worlds of poverty and ignorance did not make such choices as they were unaware such things as 'choice' existed. My MIL, 6 years older than me and illiterate, never been to school, has produced some - and I use the term advisedly - 11 children across 3 marriages. My FIL, 2 years older than me & similarly afflicted, has produced 8 children across 2 marriages.

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Thailand's thoroughly laudable contribution to a cleaner, healthier world.

Unfortunately not entirely evident in my extended Khmer family, where babies keep popping out of young women with no visible means of support (sigh).

In my area in Isaan there are kids everywhere, the wife's mother is a great grandmother many times over.

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The article is poorly written and highly misleading. A fertility crisis suggests that a lowering of fertility rates is the primary issue. That is not the case, couples deciding to have less children is not an issue of fertility, it's simply an issue of common sense and reason. I would not want to be a child brought into the world at this time. Some of us think having a child right now is bordering on being cruel. Too much instability in the world and too much craziness, not a good time to be having a kid. 

I understand what you are saying , But I disagree why people are having less children. Most experts agree that it is a matter of economics .  

but I think you are confusing Fertility. with the fertility rate,

Perhaps it would had been less confusing if instead of fertility rate the said " the banga banga rate"😂 but that is the term experts use to describe the rate of reproduction "Fertility rate" it does not imply reasons why the banga banga rate is low, this is the subject for a different discussion  

Fertility:the quality of being fertile; productiveness.

Fertility rate: Fertility rate, total (births per woman) 

It is the total births per woman that is causing the problem hence the fertility Crisis.  

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

They have been saying that about Japan for decades and yet they are still doing just fine - currently third in the World.

The dangers of a declining population are no where near as bad as they say - otherwise Japan would be much worse that it is now.

Japan's population has been in decline since the 1980s - and yet they are doing just fine - 3rd largest economy in the world - a far more civilised and happy population - costs of living stabilising and no massive property price increases (overall) - readily available resources (medical etc.).

Japan is doing well? Hardly.

They have a wildly underfunded pension system, but a rapidly aging population. (I used to manage Japanese pension money, among other things, and the accounting they use is simply bizarre. The underfunding is criminal.)

Homes that once were valued (money loaned against) for the equivalent of $1 million are now on the market for a few thousand dollars, with no takers. Many many more houses than people now.

Japan's debt is staggering. By a factor of five they have the highest service ratio on govt debt as any other country, Greece being second. An incredible amount of total tax revenue goes to service existing JGBs.

Like most countries, their system was built on an ever-expanding population base, or to put it another way, a Ponzi Scheme. Now that the population pyramid is inverting, inflows cannot meet outflows.

The yen is evidencing this to some extent (~150/$ now), but it will get worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I understand what you are saying , But I disagree why people are having less children. Most experts agree that it is a matter of economics .  

but I think you are confusing Fertility. with the fertility rate,

Perhaps it would had been less confusing if instead of fertility rate the said " the banga banga rate"😂 but that is the term experts use to describe the rate of reproduction "Fertility rate" it does not imply reasons why the banga banga rate is low, this is the subject for a different discussion  

Fertility:the quality of being fertile; productiveness.

Fertility rate: Fertility rate, total (births per woman) 

It is the total births per woman that is causing the problem hence the fertility Crisis.  

Come to think of it ,the banga banga rate is probably still the same, might even be higher. Perhaps people are more disciplined in using different contraception  options. 

13 minutes ago, tkramer said:

Wait...are you saying that there are NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE IN THE WORLD...?!!

There are more than 20 Cannabis dispensaries in my neighborhood,  

but I don't think ANYBODY is smoking the '<deleted>e' that you are smoking...!

I don't smoke.

Thanks for illustrating my point. "There are too many people in the world": this idea has penetrated the collective psyche so effectively that it is very difficult to discuss this issue rationally.

Let's take my home country, France, as a practical example. We have now reached the point where a working couple (typically with 0-1 kid because that is all they can afford) can't even put decent food on the table anymore. Why?

Since 1973 (when very little-known legislation was adopted by then president Pompidou and his finance minister Giscard d'Estaing), the French State has the obligation to borrow from the private financial market, which has resulted in a colossal debt which is simply impossible to repay. This is why the French have to keep paying more taxes, which are not used to improve a country which is literally falling apart on every metric.

There are hardly any English sources on this, but here is one:

https://mpsa.e-monsite.com/en/quiz/the-law-of-january-3-1973-has-betrayed-france.html

Giscard d'Estaing added this law to the Treaty of Lisbon and therefore imposed it on every EU member State in 2007.

This is not a quantitative but a qualitative issue. The reason people lead such sad, miserable lives is not overpopulation but debt slavery.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

As long as they do not 'resort' to 'innapropriate' Immigration to rectify that situation, like the West foolishly did, then all will be well eventually.

Replacing 30 million Thais with Africans and Arabs sounds like a good way to boost GDP. I don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Japan is doing well? Hardly.

They have a wildly underfunded pension system, but a rapidly aging population. (I used to manage Japanese pension money, among other things, and the accounting they use is simply bizarre. The underfunding is criminal.)

Homes that once were valued (money loaned against) for the equivalent of $1 million are now on the market for a few thousand dollars, with no takers. Many many more houses than people now.

Japan's debt is staggering. By a factor of five they have the highest service ratio on govt debt as any other country, Greece being second. An incredible amount of total tax revenue goes to service existing JGBs.

It's a civilized country with high standard of living. Housing prices falling are good for the future generations, you can't sustain a country on ever rising housing prices that require 40 years mortgages.

Older people will be hurting though that's for sure and the debt can be defaulted on or paid back with inflated currency. 

Japan will do just fine.

6 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

This happens in every country when women realise they do have a choice between careers and being a mum. Good for them. This is something economists need to work out, because the answer sure as heck isn't the current view of ever expanding growth and capitalism

Then everyone dies in the end.

Women can either work for a company and have no family or work for their family and continue the nation. What's happening now is not sustainable and will course correct naturally once the population is too small for urbanization and people go back to the land.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Interestingly, the west will survive with changed demographics due to immigration, but countries like Japan, China, and Thailand are doomed.

Doomed how? The west will literally not be the same country so what survives in the end? The country is the people themselves and if they're replaced then everything is lost.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

It's a civilized country with high standard of living. Housing prices falling are good for the future generations, you can't sustain a country on ever rising housing prices that require 40 years mortgages.

Older people will be hurting though that's for sure and the debt can be defaulted on or paid back with inflated currency. 

Japan will do just fine.

The property bubble in Japan was built on 100 year mortgages. Most still have 55 years to go.

Japan is in a terrible funk now. Whatever you think it was, it is no more. It is depressing. It has lost its will, perhaps even to live.  Some areas the major goal is suicide.

Japan will not be just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

in 6 decades many coastal areas will be under water so it wont matter 

large areas of the uk coastline will be uninhabitable

inc london will be flooded so i expect bkk willl be the same

Our masters don't share this view and are buying coastline properties.

Could contain:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Walker88 said:

The property bubble in Japan was built on 100 year mortgages. Most still have 55 years to go.

Japan is in a terrible funk now. Whatever you think it was, it is no more. It is depressing. It has lost its will, perhaps even to live.  Some areas the major goal is suicide.

Japan will not be just fine.

That's crazy I did not know. OK then that explains part of the problem. That debt needs to be cleared so people can actually live normal lives. This is the end game of debt based money and central banking. It's strangling out entire nations will to live.

Japan WILL survive because the people will survive. When Japan recovers from this debt and families stabilize many countries in Europe are at real risk of being under rule by Muslims and it's going to be the current Israel conflict on steroids. Japan will have the last laugh in the end.

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

My b/f and I have been trying for some 11 years now. Without success.

As your gender is male according to your profile, I am not surprised that you and your boyfriend have been "trying for some 11 years" without success to have children.

Perhaps you should reread "Bertie the Bunny and Rosie the Rabbit" to better understand your lack of success.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

in 6 decades many coastal areas will be under water so it wont matter 

large areas of the uk coastline will be uninhabitable

inc london will be flooded so i expect bkk willl be the same

They said 3 decades ago many similar things would happen.

You can look a historic photos of coastline and compare them to Google maps today and they appear the same to me.

Yeah oceans rise but the estimates are wildly off and probably just propaganda to get people to accept carbon taxes or whatever else they have in mind. I simply don't believe them anymore.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

In my area in Isaan there are kids everywhere, the wife's mother is a great grandmother many times over.

Exactly, rural areas with community are surviving, I see that too. They will be the ones to carry forward the people once the cities depopulate and fall apart, then the cycle continues I guess.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Yes but not Thai. Thai is an ethnic group with common lineage right? I personally don't consider them Thai myself.

I didn't say they were, just they were equally indigenous to the area, well certainly as indigenous as 'Thai' who migrated down from southern China. Most of the peninsular Thai population have more in common genetically with Myanmar and Malaysia than 'Thai' and southern China. 

13 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Our masters don't share this view and are buying coastline properties.

Those aren't the only properties they have, they can certainly afford to move anywhere they want. The peasants don't have that luxury.

Just now, Stocky said:

I didn't say they were, just they were equally indigenous to the area, well certainly as indigenous as 'Thai' who migrated down from southern China. Most of the peninsular Thai population have more in common genetically with Myanmar and Malaysia than 'Thai' and southern China. 

The Thai people seemed to encroached upon a number of regions including Lao, Cambodia and Myanmar. It's all fuzzy but the longer I'm here the more I can really pick apart the different groups.

33 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

As your gender is male according to your profile, I am not surprised that you and your boyfriend have been "trying for some 11 years" without success to have children.

Perhaps you should reread "Bertie the Bunny and Rosie the Rabbit" to better understand your lack of success.

Thanks, I'll check it out on Amazon. Might do the trick.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

The Isaan birth rate used to be six children per mother. How many mothers do you know that have six kids now? 

• Thumbs Up 1