BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

28 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Be honest now, feels good to get a free charge doesn’t it? The 1 hour that it takes actually passes by very quickly if you’re sitting down for something to eat of having a cuppa and going through some mails. In my case, I’m usually watching some YT channels, a lot of the videos I watch are over an hour long so charging is finished before I’m ready to go.

I had actually figured that I wouldn’t bother chasing the free charges but a sense of curiosity ( and Yorkshire upbringing ) meant I had to take a look.

My local BYD showroom doesn’t even have a charger and the nearest, with 2 DC and 2 AC, is 18 km away, i did stop there once but had a queue so left it.

There’s a Bangchak pump over the highway but according to the app the chargers are often out of service ?

EDIT: seems like the chargers at this pump are only available off peak hours ?? 

IMG_4698.thumb.png.704d34d707e5ddff9e9b856826a57376.png

This was a BYD showroom at 5.45 pm, so closed, but a beautiful evening so spent a while trying to coax 2 cats from under a shed while Mrs D and the 2 lead weights took selfies !

The night watchman looked on amused as to how the people who buy these Chinese EV’s can be so easily amused !

I was torn between stopping at this one so early into the journey or risking waiting for another of the 5 free options on offer for my route but the others were at pumps and more likely to attract visitors i thought ?

I did get my foot down a little after this, seemed more enjoyable when you aren’t paying ??

While I am now hooked i doubt i will go out of my way looking for the free options despite it drawing you in with how much money you have saved.

61 kWh @ 485 baht would have been 185 baht on my TOU/wall charger.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
Added the Bangchak pump bit
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I had actually figured that I wouldn’t bother chasing the free charges but a sense of curiosity ( and Yorkshire upbringing ) meant I had to take a look.

My local BYD showroom doesn’t even have a charger and the nearest, with 2 DC and 2 AC, is 18 km away, i did stop there once but had a queue so left it.

There’s a Bangchak pump over the highway but according to the app the chargers are often out of service ?

EDIT: seems like the chargers at this pump are only available off peak hours ?? 

IMG_4698.thumb.png.704d34d707e5ddff9e9b856826a57376.png

This was a BYD showroom at 5.45 pm, so closed, but a beautiful evening so spent a while trying to coax 2 cats from under a shed while Mrs D and the 2 lead weights took selfies !

The night watchman looked on amused as to how the people who buy these Chinese EV’s can be so easily amused !

I was torn between stopping at this one so early into the journey or risking waiting for another of the 5 free options on offer for my route but the others were at pumps and more likely to attract visitors i thought ?

I did get my foot down a little after this, seemed more enjoyable when you aren’t paying ??

While I am now hooked i doubt i will go out of my way looking for the free options despite it drawing you in with how much money you have saved.

61 kWh @ 485 baht would have been 185 baht on my TOU/wall charger.

Actually, the chargers at Bangchak stations that show out of service on the app are usable but not for free. Anyone can charge at these stations during peak hours but would have to pay the Thb8 p/kWh charge. The free charging only applies during off peak hours.

I wish more BYD owners would be like you, not bothering to chase the free charging so that miserly guys like me don’t have to queue lol. But really, BYD should have thought this through better and restrict charging to only 80%. This would dramatically reduce waiting times.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Actually, the chargers at Bangchak stations that show out of service on the app are usable but not for free. Anyone can charge at these stations during peak hours but would have to pay the Thb8 p/kWh charge. The free charging only applies during off peak hours.

I wish more BYD owners would be like you, not bothering to chase the free charging so that miserly guys like me don’t have to queue lol. But really, BYD should have thought this through better and restrict charging to only 80%. This would dramatically reduce waiting times.

Ah okay thanks.

When i arrived the other DC was occupied so I got 55 kWh which went up to 111 kWh when she left but the time didn’t drop suddenly to half as i expected, in fact it took almost the estimated time in total. ( dropping to 79 kWh when i hit 75%.)

I did let it go to 100% and a Dolphin pulled in just at that time so worked out well.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Ah okay thanks.

When i arrived the other DC was occupied so I got 55 kWh which went up to 111 kWh when she left but the time didn’t drop suddenly to half as i expected, in fact it took almost the estimated time in total. ( dropping to 79 kWh when i hit 75%.)

I did let it go to 100% and a Dolphin pulled in just at that time so worked out well.

I have a feeling that BYD calculates the time to a full charge (excepting the time for battery balancing) taking into account the drops in charging speeds as the battery fills up. In my case, I can only get full speed (82 kWh thereabouts) only till about 40% after which it drops to around 55 kWh and then down to 33’ish from about 85%. So it could be that you were already close to 75% when the other car left?

• Like 1

Below are the charging curves for the BYD Seal AWD and RWD with an 85KWH battery under optimum conditions...the curves vary somewhat between the two models.

https://evkx.net/models/byd/seal/seal_awd/chargingcurve/

https://evkx.net/models/byd/seal/seal_rwd/chargingcurve/

Now I don't have a Seal but do have an BYD Atto and found my Atto with 60KWH battery does closely follow the charging curve shown for it at the evkx.net website. 

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I have a feeling that BYD calculates the time to a full charge (excepting the time for battery balancing) taking into account the drops in charging speeds as the battery fills up. In my case, I can only get full speed (82 kWh thereabouts) only till about 40% after which it drops to around 55 kWh and then down to 33’ish from about 85%. So it could be that you were already close to 75% when the other car left?

I started charging at 17.49 ( 53.5 kw ) around 35% battery and an initial time guesstimate of an hour and 3 minutes.a few minutes later I snapped this photo.

IMG_4688.thumb.jpeg.1d366da4dd46e3c44947e4b9bc98eb51.jpeg

shortly after the Atto 3 left and I got this:

IMG_4689.thumb.jpeg.a682d8eabfac04190078a1b5a5dd134a.jpeg

I watched the time for a while but it never dropped down quickly as I thought it would and when it finished at 100% it had taken 53 minutes.

So, 10 minutes less than the original estimate but not as much as i expected when the charging speed doubled.

It is all good but am curious why it only charged minimally faster.

IMG_4690.thumb.jpeg.3fbc4b6a35834c9815155f76be06d0b0.jpeg

At some point it dropped down to 79 kw but am not sure when and after this i just let it do its thing.

Next time I might monitor it more closely to get the curve but if the other charger cable is occupied it won’t be an accurate test.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I started charging at 17.49 ( 53.5 kw ) around 35% battery and an initial time guesstimate of an hour and 3 minutes.a few minutes later I snapped this photo.

IMG_4688.thumb.jpeg.1d366da4dd46e3c44947e4b9bc98eb51.jpeg

shortly after the Atto 3 left and I got this:

IMG_4689.thumb.jpeg.a682d8eabfac04190078a1b5a5dd134a.jpeg

I watched the time for a while but it never dropped down quickly as I thought it would and when it finished at 100% it had taken 53 minutes.

So, 10 minutes less than the original estimate but not as much as i expected when the charging speed doubled.

It is all good but am curious why it only charged minimally faster.

IMG_4690.thumb.jpeg.3fbc4b6a35834c9815155f76be06d0b0.jpeg

At some point it dropped down to 79 kw but am not sure when and after this i just let it do its thing.

Next time I might monitor it more closely to get the curve but if the other charger cable is occupied it won’t be an accurate test.

I could be wrong but I think you will find that it probably dropped down to 79 kWh way before your battery reached 75% SOC. This seems supported by Pib’s charts and would also support my theory that the total time calculation takes these drops into account.

9 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I could be wrong but I think you will find that it probably dropped down to 79 kWh way before your battery reached 75% SOC. This seems supported by Pib’s charts and would also support my theory that the total time calculation takes these drops into account.

Yes, probably dropped down from 111 kw at 59% and then up to 79 kw to charge between 64 and 83 % if following Pib’s charts ( I have the RWD ) only my figures are slightly down in power ( more loss ).

Would be interesting to create a graph for oneself but difficult on a shared charger.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, probably dropped down from 111 kw at 59% and then up to 79 kw to charge between 64 and 83 % if following Pib’s charts ( I have the RWD ) only my figures are slightly down in power ( more loss ).

Would be interesting to create a graph for oneself but difficult on a shared charger.

Not difficult at all if you’re willing to pay Thb 8 per kWh at non off peak times lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jethro Tull said:

The Rêversharger app will be down tomorrow morning and, if I am reading this correctly, so will free charging .

IMG_4711.thumb.jpeg.16e2b08d6c50b52383166a3608638d4b.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg.317c51503e4bd618ed36346a9495fc36.jpeg

Incidentally, I got a renewal through for my daughters MG4 from Roojai, we’ve had no claims and it’s more than doubled to over ฿19,000 with no battery cover.  We won’t be going with Roojai again.

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Incidentally, I got a renewal through for my daughters MG4 from Roojai, we’ve had no claims and it’s more than doubled to over ฿19,000 with no battery cover.  We won’t be going with Roojai again.

Roojai is really only a broker/middleman with insurance companies.  It's the insurance companies with the new EV coverage rules that causing the big increase.

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

Roojai is really only a broker/middleman with insurance companies.  It's the insurance companies with the new EV coverage rules that causing the big increase.

I think if I can get 29,000 for a Seal Performance, I should be able to get better than 19,000 for an MG4

2 hours ago, Jethro Tull said:

The Rêversharger app will be down tomorrow morning and, if I am reading this correctly, so will free charging .

IMG_4711.thumb.jpeg.16e2b08d6c50b52383166a3608638d4b.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg.317c51503e4bd618ed36346a9495fc36.jpeg

Interesting in the last statement about updating the app on your phone....can kinda imply a person needs the updated app for things to work properly after the maintenance update.

But Google Play for Android shows the latest ReverSharger update as 22 July 2024.  If an app update is required they sure are waiting till the last minute since 4 Sep is less than 7 hours away Thailand time.

Edited by Pib

21 minutes ago, Pib said:

Interesting in the last statement about updating the app on your phone....can kinda imply a person needs the updated app for things to work properly after the maintenance update.

But Google Play for Android shows the latest ReverSharger update as 22 July 2024.  If an app update is required they sure are waiting till the last minute since 4 Sep is less than 7 hours away Thailand time.

I think they are going to implement a queuing / reservation function.  Currently my dealer is giving out numbered queue cards and managing the process.

It will be interesting to see what they are going to implement in this 3 hours downtime.

If they do include a reservation/booking option maybe it will be time limited, i.e. max charging of 45 minutes, or up to 80% which has been discussed before .

In the case of time limit you will know how long you have to wait before your turn and you could possibly see the queue time on the app ?

Could be remote booking like PTT reserved charging schedule but that was always a little contentious, or you have to turn up and scan your phone to put yourself in the queue which would be preferable in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2024 at 9:39 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I was quoted ฿29,000 for a 67-year-old male with no claims ever and first class insurance on a BYD SEAL performance with Viriyah

What are the details of your quote, e.g. what is the sum insured of your car? (the amount you will receive in case of a total loss or theft)

Do you have a deductible?

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

What are the details of your quote, e.g. what is the sum insured of your car? (the amount you will receive in case of a total loss or theft)

Do you have a deductible?

I didn't get more details than the premium, I don't need it for another 4 months and I guessed Bandersnatch & Macahoom would have the renewal first with more details.

18 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I didn't get more details than the premium, I don't need it for another 4 months and I guessed Bandersnatch & Macahoom would have the renewal first with more details.

I will post any quotes I get, but as my wife is under 30 I have to pay quite a premium to have her as a named driver 😳

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I think the main change from a user’s perspective is the default privilege. I made the mistake of not “submitting” the invoice of a charging session within 24 hours and got charged on my debit card for the full amount. Now, if you set the Rever Group 1 default privilege in your wallet, the app will default to it rather than charging your debit/credit card.

I guess they have received a lot of complaints lol.

That good to know thanks 👍

Presumably group 1 being those who bought a BYD in 2022/2023 and group 2 being those who bought in 2024 ? 

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That good to know thanks 👍

Presumably group 1 being those who bought a BYD in 2022/2023 and group 2 being those who bought in 2024 ? 

I believe so. Group 1 gets free charging, Group 2 pays 4 baht per kWh instead of 8 baht at the Reber chargers.