BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

Just to separate this curiosity question from my above long winded posts, for you Seal owners when the A/C sometimes turns itself on automatically for X-amount of minutes  when you turn off the car "and probably locked the car" have you ever tried then using the key FOB to press unlock and then immediately lock to see if that turns off the A/C?   

I know on my Atto that unlock & lock has worked each and every time to turn off the A/C that automatically started itself.

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Just to separate this curiosity question from my above long winded posts, for you Seal owners when the A/C sometimes turns itself on automatically for X-amount of minutes  when you turn off the car "and probably locked the car" have you ever tried then using the key FOB to press unlock and then immediately lock to see if that turns off the A/C?   

I know on my Atto that unlock & lock has worked each and every time to turn off the A/C that automatically started itself.

But, why would you want to stop the A/C in this situation when, as you told us earlier:

IMG_3154.png.a3759340ea9557e6dd24da4ffdd5c94b.png

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

But, why would you want to stop the A/C in this situation when, as you told us earlier:

IMG_3154.png.a3759340ea9557e6dd24da4ffdd5c94b.png

Because no drying of the evaporator is really required in some situations but the car gets fooled into thinking so.

Examples: 

- say the car has been setting for hours in your carport...A/C has not turned on/been running for hours....evaporator fins are dry as a bone.  However, you open the door for a few seconds to take a peek at something/grab something out of the car and then you lock the door which might fool/trigger the car into thinking the evaporator fins need drying off so the A/C runs for 10-15 minutes.

- say the car is charging....the A/C has not turned on..."but" because you lock the door the A/C turns on and runs for 10-15 minutes thinking it needs to dry the evaporator.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Because no drying of the evaporator is really required in some situations but the car gets fooled into thinking so.

Examples: 

- say the car has been setting for hours in your carport...A/C has not turned on/been running for hours....evaporator fins are dry as a bone.  However, you open the door for a few seconds to take a peek at something/grab something out of the car and then you lock the door which might fool/trigger the car into thinking the evaporator fins need drying off so the A/C runs for 10-15 minutes.

- say the car is charging....the A/C has not turned on..."but" because you lock the door the A/C turns on and runs for 10-15 minutes thinking it needs to dry the evaporator.

Okay, I see what you are saying now 👍

Okay, so what would you like to see in the next OTA update ? 

JB has mentioned that he would like some software update to stop the stuttering when flooring it .

Others have mentioned the seat memory buttons are buried deep in the info screen.

Personally I think the shortcut screen is underused:

IMG_3151.thumb.jpeg.0353b420e01c03ed67c46e112ad781fa.jpeg

currently I only use the “ swiping down from the top “ action to change the regen settings. The seat memory buttons should be on there at the very least.

In fact i think a create shortcut button should be permanently embedded on every page allowing you to customise the shortcut screen at will, currently is limited:

IMG_3150.thumb.jpeg.52d99f3cb2d5882bb81aef3d6ff971de.jpeg

I don’t consider any of those as necessary shortcuts, would prefer seat memory and regen settings, anymore anyone ??

I also mentioned that I don’t like the door handles retracting when selecting reverse, don’t see the need and find the handles retracting when stationary a little dodgy, except when you are specifically locking from inside or out of course.

I personally prefer the screensaver with the countdown clock (when pressing the mute button) to the 3 options, find them washed out and the clock not centred angers my OCD ! So a better selection of screensavers, or ability to load your own, failing this make the countdown clock screensaver independent from muting music.

Other than my small selection, anyone else got anything they would like to see changed by an OTA ??

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Other than my small selection, anyone else got anything they would like to see changed by an OTA ??

Seat memories.

An option to turn on the 3 original, extremely loud, pedestrian warning sounds.

I am sure there are more but I can't think of them at the moment.

18 minutes ago, macahoom said:

What's this?

When you press down on the volume scroll wheel ( right hand side of the gear shifter ) it mutes your music, but also brings up a rather fetching screen saver in black, with the clock centred and seconds ticking away around the clock.

Why it should bring it up as well as muting I don’t know …. but I like it !!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I saw on YT that 'down-under' they got a new OTA to 2401, I am still on 2310 - what SW version are you guys on?

link to the clip:

2310 here also .

I think down under they were late getting their first update, don’t see anything on there we haven’t had for a while.

A couple of weeks ago, I found myself in my AWD Seal on a steep gradient with very loose gravel/stones. I was very disappointed; I was not getting the traction I would have expected in an AWD vehicle.

These two short videos may explain why. What a joke!

Part 1: https://youtu.be/eENx7rscQ80?si=oH5LLEydTLHCPZNC
Part 2: https://youtu.be/1-tDRGLbTrA?si=Xq5e9iMbxIO5lJGe

4 minutes ago, macahoom said:

A couple of weeks ago, I found myself in my AWD Seal on a steep gradient with very loose gravel/stones. I was very disappointed; I was not getting the traction I would have expected in an AWD vehicle.

These two short videos may explain why. What a joke!

Part 1: https://youtu.be/eENx7rscQ80?si=oH5LLEydTLHCPZNC
Part 2: https://youtu.be/1-tDRGLbTrA?si=Xq5e9iMbxIO5lJGe

Did you try pressing the snow/gravel button?

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Did you try pressing the snow/gravel button?

If you watch the videos (they're very short) and read the comments, it would appear the AWD cars are not AWD. BYD have been made aware of this and are going to rectify. 

Sounds crazy but it looks like it's true!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, macahoom said:

If you watch the videos (they're very short) and read the comments, it would appear the AWD cars are not AWD. BYD have been made aware of this and are going to rectify. 

Sounds crazy but it looks like it's true!

Interesting, I suspect the front when are only driven after rollout and/or when the vehicle is under high power.

I read in the comments that when in ECO mode it only drives the rear wheels, I suspect it may be the front wheels, Porsche only drive the front wheels in ECO mode unless you open the throttle fairly wide.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

or when the vehicle is under high power.

See the second video after the ashen-faced Chinese BYD technician fixed the car. Doesn't appear to need high power for the AWD to work.

Edited by macahoom

If you watch the two videos you will see that the car is only driving the rear wheels initially despite ITAC and snow mode enabled.

After the update by visiting BYD techs AWD is enabled.

The question now is how do you know your car is enabled ?

I would suggest finding a suitable gravel incline, enabling ITAC and snow mode to test, if in doubt visit your dealer.

Hopefully the dealer is aware of any such update.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Hopefully they can fix it with an OTA update.

I don't know why they didn't explain more clearly in the second video how, and how long it took, to fix the error.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I'll have to go back to the loose gravel slope I was on. Unfortunately it's about 300km from where I live!

4 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I'll have to go back to the loose gravel slope I was on. Unfortunately it's about 300km from where I live!

Yes !, the rollers are the ultimate test but who has those !

I suspect there will be a few AWD owners demanding answers from their dealers after the videos.

Would putting it on the lift and raising a few inches not enable you to check if all wheels are being driven ??

Its obvious to me (by the 3.8 sec acceleration capability and the max power reading of 390 kW)) that the car is essentially 4WD, but not in all conditions. I would think that BYD has tested the snow scenario, too - how this slipped by their testing for the final product is unbelievable. Maybe it's just an export problem?

But as one commenter pointed out - maybe the car will start to under steer more if the patch is not properly tuned?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

This is my sw version, is it up to date?

IMG_0426.jpeg

I would say no, 2310 seems to be the latest here, here’s mine:

IMG_3162.jpeg.d78a88a4a518ce09eae711670b3169be.jpeg

some differences with the FWC, Dyna and OSD software versions also but I have no idea what any of those mean !!

I redacted a couple of numbers, seen others do it 😀

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thanks, should I get a notification sometime for it to update?

Yes, a little red dot on your big screen. 

They seem to have forgotten about you. I think you should have a word with your dealership.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thanks, should I get a notification sometime for it to update? I’ve had the car three months and not had any notification yet?

mine started off with a red dot on the bell icon ( top centre of info screen )as it was uploading then moved to a red dot on the car settings icon ( bottom right of screen ) when ready to download.

I heard that the update numbers 2309, 2310, 2401 ( AUS ) and the previous version 2307 ? are dates of when the update was created, presumably in China.

When I received my car , Nov 30th, it had this version 2310080.1 and the OTA set it to 2310180.1, a small change.

So, going by that @JBChiangRai I would say you are behind, do you have the browser and karaoke ? ( swipe left from Home Screen.

• Like 1