BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

54 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

BYD Seal AWD: Another trip to BKK, total distance run: 425 km; remaining battery: 7% or 35 km - so realistically, the max range is 450 km max. (my wife would probably do +5%)

Parameters: 95% of time 2 people, about 25 km with 3 on board. Temperature: outside of BKK and suburbs, around 34C, in the city 37C (per BYD gauge) speed outside city: max 120 km/h, most of the time around 110 to 115; driving mode setting: normal

Conclusion: the range is OK, but I would not want to have any less; the non AWD model is the more sensible selection....... but could I really live without the ooommp on occasion?  😁

On a totally different subject: Am I the only one who finds the 'two blink' one touch turn signal very odd, if not to say nonsense? I have had this feature on every car going back over 20 years, all car had 3 blink one touch turn signals.......... what's up with BYD? Are all BYD models like this?

It is one of the reasons I chose Premium, I have a regular around trip of 420 km, if i stay o/night and have a bit of running around it can run to 450/480 km. But that still gets me back home with around 15 - 20 % , which is ideal for the battery conditioning charge o/night.

Doing this run tomorrow with 4 adults there and back.

The RWD 313 horses and 330 nm torque is more than enough for me .

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, macahoom said:

Never even thought about it.

I'm more concerned about having two cars with the turn signal stalks on opposite sides. Agh!

Same here. Do what the Thais do; don’t bother with the indicators lol. Jokes aside, I always give myself a mental reminder as to which side the indicator stalk is. And my Dolphin has one blink more than your Seal. +1 for the Dolphin, yay.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

How accurate is the Dynamic range setting ??

Okay it has to be better than the NEDC I hear you say but tbh mine is not much better !!

What is the criteria for the Dynamic range setting ??, is it updated instantly or every 10, 50, 100 km’s ?

So, in the past I have mentally calculated the range setting v the actual mileage driven on a 210 km  highway drive that I frequently undertake and under normal driving conditions ( my driving) 210 km will take 260 km off my range ( that range figure became 189 km when hit a huge stretch of stop and go ) , speed being the major factor.

Yesterday, I decided to do a longer test( mainly highways with a small amount of city traffic).

Starting at 100% battery and a “ range “ of 653 km i embarked upon a trip there and back and got back home with 8% battery and 47 km range left.

Equating to 0-100% battery of 530 km actual driving re a 653 km guessometer reading ( around 82% accuracy ).

Nothing unusual about that you say but when charging back home overnight to 100% it gives me 644 km range on the Dynamic range guessometer !!

Why not 530 km ??

My conclusion is that the Dynamic range isn’t giving me the range to continue driving as per my recent trip but giving me the range possible albeit slightly adjusted ( never got below 650 km before ) but even that is confusing as the last 50 km back home were at a lesser speed when I saw the % getting low.

So, what is the criteria of giving me a lower than normal 100 % range this morning ??

So in conclusion ( again ) the Dynamic range setting is not much better than the NEDC only they give random numbers to make you think it is helpful ??

I will add that this is lower than my previous 580-590 km range claim but possibly due to 4 adults + 1 kid v 2 Adults and sometimes 2 anorexic teenagers, 40° temps in Nakhon Sawan meaning higher air con settings and me showing off my acceleration/overtaking prowess at the start until berated by Mrs D !

Stop complaining - at least you get over 500 km of range, with the AWD model only a female driver will get over 450 km  🤪

On a more serious note - what is your total kWh/100 km reading?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Stop complaining - at least you get over 500 km of range, with the AWD model only a female driver will get over 450 km  🤪

You seem to forget I have the Premium with more range ( 650 NEDC )

50 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

My cumulative is 13.7 kWh/100 km, my past 50 km is 12.6 kWh/100 km as I slowed when the 10% red lettering and warning popped up ( vaguely recalling the post about range disappearing rapidly below 10% ).

The point of my post being where does the Dynamic range setting get its figures from ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My cumulative is 13.7 kWh/100 km, my past 50 km is 12.6 kWh/100 km as I slowed when the 10% red lettering and warning popped up ( vaguely recalling the post about range disappearing rapidly below 10% ).

The point of my post being where does the Dynamic range setting get its figures from ?

That brings tears to my eyes....... my cumulative is 18 kWh/100 km (6,100 km total)

The last 50 km is just for teasing, it yoyo's up and down, I could never make out what exactly is calculated there.

But you are right, the second motor is a very expensive toy -  but isn't that the very definition of big boys toys..........lol

• Like 2

A cautionary tale:

I was contacted yesterday by a poster in the U.K. who has had a Seal for 2 weeks now.

For whatever reason the showroom were polishing his car and an over zealous employee had managed to remove the silver coating on the front BYD logo.

( I had mentioned earlier that the front badge is unusual in that it is almost transparent, shine a light inside can be seen outside, and I think at one time it was designed to be illuminated ).

Now, because of the way the badge is mounted ( plastic welded ) the front bumper needs to be removed to repair/replace the badge, something the owner is not happy to do on a 2 week old car.

The showroom seems lacking in knowledge of the car,

a) to cause the damage in the first place.

b) they seem to be unsure how to proceed and are giving him the run around about how they will fix it.

So, a brief mention to your detailer to avoid the front badge when polishing can avoid a world of pain.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, mistral53 said:

my cumulative is 18 kWh/100 km (6,100 km total)

My (AWD) cumulative is 16.2 kWh/100 km (4670 km total).

What about you (boy racer) JBChiangRai?

Tyre pressure matters: "The easiest way to negatively impact your EV's range is to drive it on underinflated tires—even being low by a few PSI can make a meaningful difference in rolling resistance, and therefore efficiency."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, EV's are dead @vinny41 @ExpatOilWorker

Read & weep!

these are reservations not confirmed sales you will have to wait for May and June registrations data 

Thailand’s automobile sales slumped to a 29-month low in January, as banks rejected about 50% of total auto loan requests amid alarming household debt levels. 

https://www.gulf-times.com/article/679396/business/thailands-central-bank-open-to-reviewing-neutral-stance-in-april

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Nah, the fun 🤣 has just begun. More cannon fodder for our little December 8th fire 🔥 deadline.

Starting August you will have some tough sales numbers to match.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, a brief mention to your detailer to avoid the front badge when polishing can avoid a world of pain.

I had my Seal waxed two days ago. Just had a look and my front badge is intact. I guess it depends on which product they use.

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind for future waxings.

• Like 1

three weeks ago at the motor show, i had a closer look at the byd sealion 07. the car doesn't

look as sporty and vibe as the bwd seal, however i find it to be one of the better looking suv's.

unfortunately, all the doors were locked and the windows were tinted dark black. despite that,

it was still possible to see that the car was a right-hand drive model!

the interior of the byd sealion 07 appears to be different from the byd seal, as shown in the video below.

20240420.png.9e62b816621ba837dab28b88a6ff10f6.png

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 3:49 PM, motdaeng said:

three weeks ago at the motor show, i had a closer look at the byd sealion 07. the car doesn't

look as sporty and vibe as the bwd seal, however i find it to be one of the better looking suv's.

unfortunately, all the doors were locked and the windows were tinted dark black. despite that,

it was still possible to see that the car was a right-hand drive model!

the interior of the byd sealion 07 appears to be different from the byd seal, as shown in the video below.

20240420.png.9e62b816621ba837dab28b88a6ff10f6.png

I saw both the Deepal L07 (sedan/saloon) and the Deepal S07 (SUV) in the flesh yesterday.

Two fine looking cars. 

For me the L07 looks better than the Seal or any Teslas and the S07 is beautiful - not the usual boring SUV design (take the badges off and they all look the same).

The L07 is relatively slow off the line which is a bit of a surprise.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I saw both the Deepal L07 (sedan/saloon) and the Deepal S07 (SUV) in the flesh yesterday.

Two fine looking cars. 

For me the L07 looks better than the Seal or any Teslas and the S07 is beautiful - not the usual boring SUV design (take the badges off and they all look the same).

The L07 is relatively slow off the line which is a bit of a surprise.

i was positive surprised about the quality of the interior from the deepal l07 / s07. but the specs for a sporty looking car are rather modest!

the rear lights of the deepal do look in my opinion very wired, i don't like it at all. if you have the opportunity have closer look at it, than you probably will see what i mean ....

i do agree with you, most of the crossover suv's are looking very similar, including the byd sea lion, the byd song l or the denza n7. i think some exceptions are the zeekr 001 and the avatr 11 ...

if i had to decide today, the byd seal performance would be my first choice: timeless design, a lot of fun to drive and a unbeatable price package. but i personally do prefer a crossover or suv, therefore the bad sea lion is a car i am interested in ...

Edited by motdaeng
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i personally do prefer a crossover or suv, therefore the byd sea lion is a car i am interested in ...

my apologies for the wrong spelling, i am not used to write a text on the cellphone ... my fingers are also simple too fat 😔 😔

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Good video on the Seal by a petrol head

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I always am, at the number of times I see reviewers getting things so wrong about the cars. This guy points out, at least three times, that the AWD doesn't have a frunk. It most certainly does!

I think he assumed this because it has two motors and therefore no room for a frunk.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thumbs Up 1

Picked up my Seal from the dealer yesterday,wondering what the latest version of the Software is.Was told below shown ones is the latest up to date one.

image.jpeg.ff25841a51058fe783eee86805021e61.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love It 1