General practitioner sought in Chiang Mai

bamboozled

Hi folks, I'm looking for a doctor/clinic outside of a hospital (quicker in/out and hopefully more personal care) that can take me under her/his wing and fix me. Other than the one on Hang Dong road, please. I am feeling flu-like about every other day: sore throat, swollen glands in neck, achy and very fatigued. It comes and goes and I don't have a fever. And then the next morning it will be gone but resurface either in the afternoon or the next day. It feels like a flu coming on or a bad cold and has been going on for months and getting worse, it seems. I've had a general physical and nothing amiss. Is it all in my head? Could be. It's debilitating. If not in my head, I'm thinking an allergy, perhaps, or something with my sinuses due to a history of sinus infections and the pressure I feel on one side of head. Any recommends for doctors?

Thank you.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks! I've driven past it many a time. Will check it out!

Always crowded though. 

If I had "flu-like" symptoms I'd stay at home to isolate from other people and treat it with Tylenol, fluids, and rest unless I was in some kind of respiratory distress.  Just like I did when I got Covid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Did you have covid-19 and if so when and how many times?  And were you covid-19 vaccinated?

Your symptoms sound like 'long covid' or vax-injury. 

It's clearly not 'in your head', the excuse given when there is no indication of the cause.

Do visit a medical doctor to get advice on how to treat the symptoms and causes of your condition.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks Red! I've never had Covid that I know of. I thought I had it a few times but tests were negative. I, too, thought it sounded like long Covid or, gasp, vax injury (have had 3 vax). I've so far never gone down that avenue about vaccines. It's true that I've had this sensation for years and years but it was never so often. I've always just shaken it off, I never seem to have an actual fever, and go on my way the best I can until it passes. However, it's become more frequent and more debilitating. Maybe just getting old? Since there have never been any ways to measure my "feeling" (nothing that so far can be measured), I don't think it is a flu or something contagious. I do have a rather stressed personality and thought that the stress might be manifesting as these symptoms. That is, the symptoms are real but are brought on my own stressful self. Much the way we can get a headache or upset stomach from stress. I don't discount that possibility. And I'm working on the de-stressing but it's a long slog.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you done any blood tests? Maybe, a CBC (complete blood count) will be helpful to see if your body is fighting an infection somewhere, that may yield some clues. You can get a CBC done on a walk in basis at the CMU Outreach Clinic at Mee Chok Plaza, costs about 150 baht, results next day (via email if you wish). Another option is to ask moderator @Sheryl for some tips/pointers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raindancer said:

I second that.  He is always my first port of call.  And has been my doctor for many years now.   

Although I haven't lived in chiang mai for a few years, I too, used this same doctor. New point here: every time I went there it was crowded but I waited only 40 minutes. This doctor knows his stuff and gets on with it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Have you done any blood tests? Maybe, a CBC (complete blood count) will be helpful to see if your body is fighting an infection somewhere, that may yield some clues. You can get a CBC done on a walk in basis at the CMU Outreach Clinic at Mee Chok Plaza, costs about 150 baht, results next day (via email if you wish). Another option is to ask moderator @Sheryl for some tips/pointers.

Yes, I just had a full physical and nothing amiss. Blood is fine at least for the tests done. Thyroid fine. Testosterone fine. B12 is fine. Thank you very much for the info and thoughts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alanrchase said:

If you have had a physical check and everything is ok maybe try a dentist. Wisdom teeth problems can cause several of the symptoms you describe.

That's interesting. I do often have pain from my teeth and think it's a cavity. And then it passes/dentist finds nothing. I've had a doctor look up my nose with a scope and found no evidence of infection but I'm sort of attached to the idea that something is going on there. However, why don't I show a fever or any signs in a blood test....if there was some "secret" infection?

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Although I haven't lived in chiang mai for a few years, I too, used this same doctor. New point here: every time I went there it was crowded but I waited only 40 minutes. This doctor knows his stuff and gets on with it. 

Thanks Chris. I've got to get over there. Of course, after I wrote this post, I started to feel better. I'm kind of waiting for a downturn so I can go when actually experiencing the symptoms. At least they can feel the swollen glands.

Just now, bamboozled said:

That's interesting. I do often have pain from my teeth and think it's a cavity. And then it passes/dentist finds nothing. I've had a doctor look up my nose with a scope and found no evidence of infection but I'm sort of attached to the idea that something is going on there. However, why don't I show a fever or any signs in a blood test....if there was some "secret" infection?

Wisdom teeth can cause symptoms without necessarily being infected. Not all infections cause a fever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Did you miss a Zero off that price. Bht 2200 at my local Govt Hospital. 300 alone for PSA jobbie.

A CBC test at CM Outreach is 150 baht, that's just blood only, if you are being charged 2200 baht for a CBC you are being raped. A complete list of AMS lab test costs is here:

Could contain:

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, Yorkshire Tea said:

Been less busy post-covid.  The clinic was closed for a long time during the pandemic.  I've visited a couple of times since they re-opened & not so long a wait in the morning.

He's only open a couple of hours a day now. Best to call and ask the hours before visiting. He's close to retirement. I gave a friend a lift there recently.

• Like 1

Hi Peter, I'll have a look. I think they tested for that a couple months ago. I would think so, at least, when getting a physical. ....Just checked. I can't find "A1c" listed but it says blood sugar "normal". And FBS (fasting blood sugar) 86 which is right in the middle of the indicated range. Hopefully, that covers it? Thanks for your post!

9 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Hi Peter, I'll have a look. I think they tested for that a couple months ago. I would think so, at least, when getting a physical. ....Just checked. I can't find "A1c" listed but it says blood sugar "normal". And FBS (fasting blood sugar) 86 which is right in the middle of the indicated range. Hopefully, that covers it? Thanks for your post!

It's often listed as HbA1c. A1C shows the number of glycated red blood cells which have a life span of about 90 days, therefore, the test shows your sugar levels over that same period and is the gold standard test for blood sugar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It's often listed as HbA1c. A1C shows the number of glycated red blood cells which have a life span of about 90 days, therefore, the test shows your sugar levels over that same period and is the gold standard test for blood sugar.

Is it tested in the urine or blood? My urine test has an indication of something A:C and it is under 3.4. And next to "Sugar" it says "Negative". Maybe I'm the diet version: sugar free?

Interestingly, re-reviewing my results, I see I have a tiny renal cyst which I didn't know about or forgot about or it's of no concern so they noted it on paper but didn't mention it. Hmm.... I have you to thank for that.

Just now, bamboozled said:

Is it tested in the urine or blood? My urine test has an indication of something A:C and it is under 3.4. And next to "Sugar" it says "Negative". Maybe I'm the diet version: sugar free?

Interestingly, re-reviewing my results, I see I have a tiny renal cyst which I didn't know about or forgot about or it's of no concern so they noted it on paper but didn't mention it. Hmm.... I have you to thank for that.

A1C is a blood test.