Thai tourists’ Korea travel ban outcry impacts agencies amid visa woes

webfact

image.jpeg

Following a surge in posts under the hashtag #BanTravelToSouthKorea (#แบนเที่ยวเกาหลี) on the Twitter (X) platform, tourism agencies are being urged to pay heed to the concerns of Thai tourists. Over a million posts were generated during the past weekend alone, highlighting the losses suffered by both tourists and tour operators in recent years.

The Korea Tourism Organisation (KTO) reported that as of September, 269,347 Thai visitors had travelled to South Korea. This places them sixth on the list of top visitors, behind tourists from Japan, China, America, Taiwan, and Vietnam. However, there has been a noticeable decrease compared to the 2019 peak, when as many as 571,610 Thai tourists visited South Korea.

Charoen Wangananont, the president of the Thai Travel Agents Association, expressed scepticism about the KTO’s hopes of regaining the 2019 level of Thai visitors this year. This is primarily due to rising anxieties among Thai travellers, particularly those related to being denied entry into South Korea.

Multiple users on Twitter shared their experiences of being turned away at the immigration stage. Some even had to return to Thailand, ruining their long-planned holidays. Many Thai users, consequently, prefer countries like Japan and Taiwan that offer visa-free travel to Thais and do not pose the risk of being denied entry, reported Bangkok Post.

by Alex Morgan

Picture courtesy of Thairath

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

There is a very good reason that Thais need to jump through hoops when they travel overseas. They are known for saying what suits them instead of answering truthfully. Strangely, in the UK and my very first job many decades ago, I was told exactly the same about Irish people when they applied for National Insurance cards. Certain nationalities have a reputation for telling porkies.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is a very good reason that Thais need to jump through hoops when they travel overseas. They are known for saying what suits them instead of answering truthfully. Strangely, in the UK and my very first job many decades ago, I was told exactly the same about Irish people when they applied for National Insurance cards. Certain nationalities have a reputation for telling porkies.

Well, I have been told by visa officers that the reason many Thais (other ASIANs also, especially not so elderly females, go to other countries and stay longer than they are allowed.  I do not know what they do but even my wife was denied a tourist visa, owns her house, car, owned a restaurant, was chief chef and only wanted a tourist visa to take child to US for college.  Consular folks said that wasn't enough to guarantee she would return to Thailand.  She was married to me a US born citizen!  They said that we have to apply for an immigrant visa - took a while for all the paperwork, then had to wait over a year due to immigrant backlog in the US so changed our minds and daughter is in college here.  

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Some may be denied entry there too, esp. if they are female, not old, and possibly travelling there to visit mostly bedrooms.

A Female was refused entry because she had been in and out of the Country 4 times already this Year

Her job was mot specified

A good lesson for the Korean immigration brutes who were thinking no end of themselves and discriminating Thai's.

A "funny" thing in life is that it is usually those who are discriminated or shunned who tend to take it out on others once they are back home. Thai immigration should learn to be more neutral and helpful towards foreigners in Thailand. If not the quality foreigners in Thailand who are the expats, retirees who bring in good money will also just leave to more foreigner friendly countries all over Asia or India.

• Haha 1

They go to work -- even though they go on a holiday Visa, pay what ever fine when they come out after a year or so-- 4 from our Village in the last year--& no they didn't go to work bar, Believe me, I have seen them-they wouldn't get a job in an Issan bar.

There is constant demand in the electrical (TV assembly etc) industry. There is an area in Soul Yeouido-dong, which they call little Thai--- Thai Restaurants shops etc all over .

Just as the cheap Lao's work force (mainly female) comes across into Issan and onward's--- so the Thai go there....& other places.