Not confortable with giving bank account number

If you are that paranoid? 

Oh my goodness. 
Think of all the Thais on yaba wielding machetes and looking for rich farangs so they can steal their bank book.
Think of all of the B-girls looking to milk your bank account to "help mum's sick buffalo."
Think of all the B-girls who are actually T-girls who are looking to beat you up and take your bank book.
Think of taxi drivers with "big knives" who hope your bank book is left in their taxis.
And, goodness gracious, the thought to supplying a bank account to an online retailer like Lazada, or Shopee, or Amazon Global.
And the aliens.  The aliens want your bank book and your account number.  I know!  They told me.  Muuuuuhaaahaaa.
And Thai Immigration immigration officers.  Egads!  The worse.  Taking pictures of your bank book and passports and emptying your account the day after issuing you an extension.  Omg!  It happens all the time!  Don't 'cha know!!!

On 11/1/2023 at 5:54 PM, frankstraube said:

Thinking of getting a Long Term Visa...Becoming a little paranoid, I am reluctant to send my bank statements showing my bank account number. Would it be a problem if i obfuscate a few digits, like replacing them with "*" ?

I don’t think it would be an issue as your statement would have your name on them - although obvious editing could create flags.

But, what are you scared of ? Someone adding money to your account ?

There are enough brick walls with these visa processes without putting up your own. 

On 11/2/2023 at 8:13 AM, andygrr said:

Anyone with a checking account, when they write a cheque all the bank details are on the cheque. There is no problem with giving out the account number just don't disclose any passwords or security data.

... such as your home address (on the visa application) and date of birth (on the passport data page attached to the application).

There really is no choice, but an appallingly designed website with access to most of my personal details does make me nervous. There is a market for this kind of data on the dark web. 

I have realized that they don't actually ask for money in a bank account, but for a "money deposit". So I have decided on a solution that does not show any bank account. I will give them the quaterly statements from my investment in mutual funds. There is no way anybody can touch that online or offline without my approval and signature. Problem solved 😀

Edited by frankstraube
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, frankstraube said:

I have realized that they don't actually ask for money in a bank account, but for a "money deposit". So I have decided on a solution that does not show any bank account. I will give them the quaterly statements from my investment in mutual funds. There is no way anybody can touch that online or offline without my approval and signature. Problem solved 😀

Or satisfy the health insurance requirement and the money requirement disappears...

On 11/1/2023 at 11:40 AM, frankstraube said:

You're right, as far as i know you cannot access to an account with only its number.

This guy would disagree, although it was 15 years ago and things have hopefully tightened up since then, but he was as convinced at the time that it could not be done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7174760.stm

Edited by treetops

6 hours ago, frankstraube said:

I have realized that they don't actually ask for money in a bank account, but for a "money deposit".

In lieu of insurance you need to deposit $100,000 in a bank account. Thai bank or a foreign bank, but not deposit in a brokerage account which does not count.

Insurance for LTR visa is availabke at AXA, The EasyCare Visa Health Plan where the premium depends on your age and the deductible, if you need an insurance policy just to please BOI.

Invest your $100,000, and the return should be more then enough to pay for the the insurance.

Example: with 300,000B deductible, yearly premium is only 5865B  ( age 56-60) or 17350B (age 61-65).

4% return on $100000 is about 140,000B, 10% return is 350000B.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, frankstraube said:

So I have decided on a solution that does not show any bank account. I will give them the quaterly statements from my investment in mutual funds.

that has been refused repeatedly but give it a try, you man be lucky

To Thailand J

Thank you so much, i was not aware that the health insurance requirement was so easy to get and so cheap...you are right with AXA on line it is only 5865 baths (150 euros), and you get it in a few click. Will do that...

That is for one year. Do they ask every year to see that insurance renewed?

Not being english or american, i still have to translate my income tax statements, i will contact the embassy to find a certified translator into thai.

Edited by frankstraube
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, frankstraube said:

Do they ask every year to see that insurance renewed?

I don't think they want to see proof of insurance yearly. The LTR is not 10 yr visa. They want you to pay for 10 years upfront but the stamp in your passport is only 5 years, after 5 years you may have to submit new documents to get another 5 years stamp, so you should keep the insurance policy effective.

You can submit your application without an insurance policy,and buy the insurance once your application is approved. Submit this form instead of an insurance policy:

https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/Document-Request-Acknowledgement-Form-for-LTR-Application.pdf

Edited by Thailand J

I was not aware that i could submit the health insurance certificate only after the visa being pre-approved, so thank you for pointing that out to me.

Good idea to keep the insurance policy effective every year.

I am suprised at how easy the whole LTR visa application process seems to be for retirees, nice change from the other visas i have been through. 

Edited by frankstraube

On 11/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, frankstraube said:

The visa i am looking for is the new LTR visa for "wealthy retirees"

Your concerns are the same as mine and that's why I stick with the retirement visa. It's nobody's business, especially Thai immigration's business, how much money I have and where it is located or where it comes from or where it goes. Also, any and all info given to Thai government isn't protected, confidential or private they can choose to share it with anyone they choose whenever they choose with or without justifiable reasons.

Also be aware that next year you may qualify for Thailand personal income tax, especially if you divulge a high income. Other topics/threads on this forum discuss this issue.

Edited by Banana7
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Also be aware that next year you may qualify for Thailand personal income tax, especially if you divulge a high income. Other topics/threads on this forum discuss this issue.

Having just given them my tax form showing that the taxes have already been paid, how could they possibly want to tax that money again ?  Not sensible...anyway i don't and won't have any bank account in thailand, i just access the money from abroad through ATMs

Edited by frankstraube

On 11/1/2023 at 12:08 PM, DrJack54 said:

OP, stop being foolish..

Please find me ONE report of chap being scammed out of money in his thai bank account via providing bank info to immigration..

You do remember that they "lost" all data (several million datasets) on the covid pass? Identify theft is a big problem. The problem is not immigration, the problem are the hackers that create scams with your account and passport info etc.

Edited by stat

On 11/1/2023 at 11:49 PM, frankstraube said:

I was just being overly cautious regarding thai civil servants in general, whose honesty is sometimes questionable.

On what do you base that over-generalised, defamatory remark?  Got an example of a civil servants dishonesty that would affect you?

On 11/2/2023 at 8:23 AM, bamnutsak said:

And they've sold our names and telephone numbers to dodgy visa service companies.

Have they?  Where has that been reported?  I've been using the IB services here for donkey's years and have yet to receive a single phone call from any visa service company, dodgy or otherwise.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have they?  Where has that been reported?  I've been using the IB services here for donkey's years and have yet to receive a single phone call from any visa service company, dodgy or otherwise.

I received emails from a visa company/organization, from a person posing as a person named Grace, after I applied to enter Thailand during COVID lock-down. I applied at a Royal Thai Embassy and used my most secure email address. I have never used or inquired about any third party visa service. It seems there are non Thai government personnel/third party visa organizations that have access to Thai  government computer systems, or are being provided private confidential information by Thai government personnel.

Edited by Banana7

The Thaiger, today : 3 men arrested for stealing and selling data of over 15 million Thais

Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau (CCIB) officers yesterday arrested three Thai men for stealing the personal information of more than 15 million Thais and selling it to scammers who used the information to dupe victims out of money.
Police yesterday, November 6, arrested the first suspect, a 41 year old insurance broker named Pasin. Pasin sold his clients’ information to the fraud gangs.
The Deputy Commissioner of the CCIB, Thana Choowong, said the fraud gangs used personal information to make victims trust them and transfer the requested money. The fraudsters also developed a programme to bypass the security measures put in place by each bank.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/3-men-arrested-for-stealing-and-selling-data-of-over-15-million-thais

19 hours ago, frankstraube said:

The Thaiger, today : 3 men arrested for stealing and selling data of over 15 million Thais

Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau (CCIB) officers yesterday arrested three Thai men for stealing the personal information of more than 15 million Thais and selling it to scammers who used the information to dupe victims out of money.
Police yesterday, November 6, arrested the first suspect, a 41 year old insurance broker named Pasin. Pasin sold his clients’ information to the fraud gangs.
The Deputy Commissioner of the CCIB, Thana Choowong, said the fraud gangs used personal information to make victims trust them and transfer the requested money. The fraudsters also developed a programme to bypass the security measures put in place by each bank.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/3-men-arrested-for-stealing-and-selling-data-of-over-15-million-thais

But Liverpool Lou said that has never happened in Thailand ... Looking forward to his comment :-)