Carrying a Swiss Army Knife while in Thailand?

lordgrinz

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

My experience going through Thailand Suvarnabhumi airport security to international departures is that the blade 3" length limit for carryon is cumulative. If you have more than one blade in the Swiss Army knife piece, the blade lengths are added, ie., two 3" blades gives 6" - not allowed. In my case the agent mistook a nail file being same length as the 3" knife blade in the piece and not allowed. When I showed the agent the "blade" had no cutting edge and had a filing surface - no problem. 

Cool Story Hansel.

OP is asking about a pocket knife inside Thailand... Not entering Thailand.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats kind of the point of my question - carrying around extra items..

- I carry a very slim wallet & phone.. that’s it.

Adding a knife to that is extra weight & extra bulk in the pockets… 

To cart around my multi-function pen knife on a daily basis vs potential for needing to use it seems slim IMO… I’d probably lose the thing too…. 

Mine is on the keychain, if it gets lost, I won't be driving either....lol

I'm more worried about the larger one (93mm Farmer X), but the Leatherman is in the Victorinox pouch now, sometimes switch out one of my 58mm SAK's.

Could contain:

Edited by lordgrinz

23 hours ago, dick turpin said:

full on Swiss Army complete with a four inch

blade the main purpose of which to take care

of cheese and biscuits in my hotel room.

Does beg the question, how in the world did people eat cheese & biscuits before 1891?

I'd wager no problems carrying one around one the Soi, shopping mall, restaurants, beaches, but I've been to some places (bars) where security will pat down customers checking to see if they're carrying weapons. Maybe don't try to bring into the bars/go-gos.

3 minutes ago, bbko said:

I'd wager no problems carrying one around one the Soi, shopping mall, restaurants, beaches, but I've been to some places (bars) where security will pat down customers checking to see if they're carrying weapons. Maybe don't try to bring into the bars/go-gos.

Married with children, have no interest in bars/go-gos.....I wouldn't be anywhere near that type of environment. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I'm more worried about the larger one (93mm Farmer X), but the Leatherman is in the Victorinox pouch now, sometimes switch out one of my 58mm SAK's.

Could contain:

Nice looking knives..

I even got a digital door lock so I don’t have to carry around a key !!!

traveling so much, I’m sure if it became habit to carry the knife I’d end up getting it confiscated at airport security. 

Di you guys who carry your knife daily, use it daily ? 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nice looking knives..

I even got a digital door lock so I don’t have to carry around a key !!!

traveling so much, I’m sure if it became habit to carry the knife I’d end up getting it confiscated at airport security. 

Di you guys who carry your knife daily, use it daily ? 

I am using mine pretty regularly, I wouldn't say daily, nice knowing it's right there in my pocket when I need it though. That was why I bought the first one, missed the one I had back in the USA, now I've become addicted to the Victorinox brand, I've got like 4 of the 58mm versions, and now two of the 93mm versions.....I may need an intervention at some point.....LOL

Edited by lordgrinz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

We also claret a knife in the Centre console…

It’s to cut the seat belt in an emergency & break the widow.

Why am i not surprised?

What happens in the centre console locking mechanism fails?

Edited by PJ71

2 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I am using mine pretty regularly, I wouldn't say daily, nice knowing it's right there in my pocket when I need it though. That was why I bought the first one, missed the one I had back in the USA, now I've become addicted to the Victorinox brand, I've got like 4 of the 58mm versions, and now two of the 93mm versions.....I may need an intervention at some point.....LOL

I’ve got the..

1) Vitrinox Rescue tool (in the car)

2) The regular multi-tool jobby that comes to the beach with me etc

3) The 8cm Ranger in the UK - which I use for camping each year.

I like them & can see the attraction of them. I’m not sure I’d get to use one regularly, especially in the city. 

The latter gets used the most when cooking on a fire or camping stove !!

Could contain:

Could contain:

44 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Could contain:

The large metal one you have is called a Pioneer or sometimes a Soldat, standard Swiss military, I carry the same model all the time, as an offensive weapon it sucks, by the time i can get it out of my pocket and opened i would have been beaten to death 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, schweizer said:

The large metal one you have is called a Pioneer or sometimes a Soldat, standard Swiss military, I carry the same model all the time, as an offensive weapon it sucks, by the time i can get it out of my pocket and opened i would have been beaten to death 🙂

The larger one is called a "Farmer X", but from the same Pioneer family of SAK's.

I have a "Army 7" (Harvester) coming in a few days, it has the Hawk Bill blade in place of the can opener, and no scissors. It will be lighter and thinner.

Edited by lordgrinz

22 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

The larger one is called a "Farmer X", but from the same Pioneer family of SAK's.

I have a "Army 7" (Harvester) coming in a few days, it has the Hawk Bill blade in place of the can opener, and no scissors. It will be lighter and thinner.

unless its much bigger than the picture suggests in Switzerland its a PIONEER ALOX

https://www.victorinox.com/ch/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Pioneer-Alox/p/0.8201.26

54 minutes ago, schweizer said:

unless its much bigger than the picture suggests in Switzerland its a PIONEER ALOX

https://www.victorinox.com/ch/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Pioneer-Alox/p/0.8201.26

"Farmer X" (Different toolset from the Pioneer):

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Farmer-X-Alox/p/0.8271.26

8 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

carried Swiss army knives all over the world never had an issue 

Irrelevant.

Topic is about carrying a knife While In Thailand.

Section 371: Whoever brings weapons into the city village or public road openly or without reasonable cause or take them into a gathering that has been arranged for worship Cheerfulness or anything else Must be punished with a fine not exceeding one thousand baht. and the court shall have the power to order the confiscation of such weapons.

13 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Now you have opened the knife I can see the difference , visually from the top unopened they are the same, will stay with my Pioneer as i dont feel the need for a tiny tree saw 😉

On 11/4/2023 at 1:25 PM, schweizer said:

Now you have opened the knife I can see the difference , visually from the top unopened they are the same, will stay with my Pioneer as i dont feel the need for a tiny tree saw 😉

I actually bought the Farmer X for all the cutting tools it has, which spawned me to go after the "Swiss Army 7", which came in today. I am really happy with the new Army 7, it is truly full of useful cutting tools (minus the scissors), I was thinking of changing the bottle opener for a Electricians blade, that would complete it as a full on cutting tool. Either way, happy with my purchases. 

14 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I actually bought the Farmer X for all the cutting tools it has, which spawned me to go after the "Swiss Army 7", which came in today. I am really happy with the new Army 7, it is truly full of useful cutting tools (minus the scissors), I was thinking of changing the bottle opener for a Electricians blade, that would complete it as a full on cutting tool. Either way, happy with my purchases. 

yes never did quite understand the scissors, just a waste of space in my opinion