Obamacare saves the day

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

The reason for the mandatory membership in Obamacare is the same reason that you don't get to choose to opt out of an employer health insurance program.

Do you have anything that supports this? 

I'm guessing you never had a private sector job huh? English teacher? 

Just now, KhunLA said:

As a matter of fact I do, and posted before, about a good friend of mine got cancelled when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Besides the 'mind F' or being diagnosed, and then 'cancelled', it actually turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to him.

A wrong diagnosis, and he'll be around for a long time, to the dismay of the insurance co.  He already turned down a $3M settlement :laugh:

Seems to happen so much, they now tell how to appeal

Supposedly can't cancel, but, can not renew, or offer you their 'new rate' to cover.  Sounds like you just got cancelled to me.  ouch, thanks for nothing

If you don't believe the govt sites, maybe you believe MSM

Well, how about a piece of evidence that's actually checkable? 

As for your claims about rate increases:

"Federal rules allow insurers to charge older adults (e.g., in their sixties) up to three times the premium they would charge younger adults (e.g., in their early twenties). This limit on age rating applies to all non-group and small-group health insurance policies, whether sold in the Marketplace or outside of the Marketplace.  Some states prohibit insurers from adjusting premiums for age or limit the age adjustment to less than three-to-one.

https://www.kff.org/faqs/faqs-health-insurance-marketplace-and-the-aca/can-be-charged-more-because-of-my-age/

Get back to me when you have some confirmable evidence to offer.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Do you have anything that supports this? 

I'm guessing you never had a private sector job huh? English teacher? 

As per usual, you indulge in stupid, pointless personal baiting. As for your first question:

"The most legally and politically controversial aspect of the ACA, the individual mandate requires Americans to purchase health insurance or face a government penalty, with some exceptions—particularly for low-income individuals who cannot afford to buy insurance [3]. The individual mandate has been considered necessary to cover the cost of U.S. health care. Without a mandate, fewer healthy people would pay into the system to counterbalance the cost associated with care for the sick. The healthy, mostly younger people would be able to “free ride,“ purchasing health insurance only when they got sick, after paying little or nothing up front when their use of services was lower [4, 5]."

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/constitutionality-affordable-care-act-update/2012-11

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As per usual, you indulge in stupid, pointless personal baiting. As for your first question:

"The most legally and politically controversial aspect of the ACA, the individual mandate requires Americans to purchase health insurance or face a government penalty, with some exceptions—particularly for low-income individuals who cannot afford to buy insurance [3]. The individual mandate has been considered necessary to cover the cost of U.S. health care. Without a mandate, fewer healthy people would pay into the system to counterbalance the cost associated with care for the sick. The healthy, mostly younger people would be able to “free ride,“ purchasing health insurance only when they got sick, after paying little or nothing up front when their use of services was lower [4, 5]."

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/constitutionality-affordable-care-act-update/2012-11

As per usual, you indulge in stupid, pointless links that fail to support you argument.

You claimed: "...you don't get to choose to opt out of an employer health insurance program." yet your response in no way supports your false claim. My assumption that you've never had a private sector job is pertinent, because if you had, you would know that your claim is false. 

EdD? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

As per usual, you indulge in stupid, pointless links that fail to support you argument.

You claimed: "...you don't get to choose to opt out of an employer health insurance program." yet your response in no way supports your false claim. My assumption that you've never had a private sector job is pertinent, because if you had, you would know that your claim is false. 

EdD? 

Your question was ambiguous. I thought you were referring to Obamacare not to private employer plans.

As for the answer to what I now understand to be your question: An employer has the option to let you out of their plan. But an employee cannot on their own decide to opt out.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/insuranceoptout.aspx

As for your baiting speculations about my personal life, if they're not getting any stupider, it's only because they've pretty much hit rock bottom.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Your question was ambiguous. I thought you were referring to Obamacare not to private employer plans.

As for the answer to what I now understand to be your question: An employer has the option to let you out of their plan. But an employee cannot on their own decide to opt out.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/insuranceoptout.aspx

As for your baiting speculations about my personal life, if they're not getting any stupider, it's only because they've pretty much hit rock bottom.

Right

English Teacher.png

On 11/6/2023 at 1:23 PM, KhunLA said:

That's about it.   Everyone else had their insurance premiums raised, and covers less now, with much higher deductible for basic policy.   Overall, healthcare is much more expensive for the other 88% of citizens.

You overlooked so much in forming your opinion.

Small business owners didn't get insurance from any employer and they also were unable to purchase a group plan.  Therefore the insurance companies would charge very high premiums because of the increased risk.

I bet you can't explain why the insurance companies risk was higher for writing policies to small business owners.

My wife and I operated a small business and could not get affordable insurance until Obamacare came along and effectively made us part of a large group getting insurance.  Insuring large groups is much less risky for the insurers so they are able to sharply reduce the premiums but offer the same coverage.

Checkmate!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

You overlooked so much in forming your opinion.

Small business owners didn't get insurance from any employer and they also were unable to purchase a group plan.  Therefore the insurance companies would charge very high premiums because of the increased risk.

I bet you can't explain why the insurance companies risk was higher for writing policies to small business owners.

My wife and I operated a small business and could not get affordable insurance until Obamacare came along and effectively made us part of a large group getting insurance.  Insuring large groups is much less risky for the insurers so they are able to sharply reduce the premiums but offer the same coverage.

Checkmate!

Plenty of small businesses were able to buy insurance prior to the ACA. 

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Oh... I see..... you so easily make assumptions with no experience or facts at hand.  Were you in the market for health insurance as a two person small business?  NO?

When you know nothing, the best policy is to keep your lack of knowledge to yourself.

49 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Oh... I see..... you so easily make assumptions with no experience or facts at hand.  Were you in the market for health insurance as a two person small business?  NO?

When you know nothing, the best policy is to keep your lack of knowledge to yourself.

You forgot Checkmate!

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, some insurers put many together to offer better plans with lower risks to the insurers and pass saving on to the businesses.

Another part of ACA, not so small print, insurers can not take a loss ... nice.

The only reason more are signing up for ACA, is a sign of the times.  Since Medicaid is part of it, simply shows more can't afford private insurance.

Along with Medicare show more people are simply retiring as the population ages.  Neither has much to do, with ACA.  Still benefits the insurers & big pharma, since written by their lobbyist.

Remember .... "If you like you plan or doc, you can keep your plan or doc" ... :giggle:

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Thank you for the 

57 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The only reason more are signing up for ACA, is a sign of the times.  Since Medicaid is part of it, simply shows more can't afford private insurance.

I specifically cited figures that show that the policies procured on the exchanges - not Medicare - have increased by 50% since the Biden administration took office.

58 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Along with Medicare show more people are simply retiring as the population ages.  Neither has much to do, with ACA.  Still benefits the insurers & big pharma, since written by their lobbyist.

What does this have to do with the big jump in the number of people who have purchased health insurance under the aegis of Obamacare?

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Thank you for providing such a convincing qualifier as "plenty". Were there "plenty" of business that couldn't? What was the ratio of the "plenty" that could to the "plenty" that couldn't? What is the actual number that "plenty" signifies?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thank you for providing such a convincing qualifier as "plenty". Were there "plenty" of business that couldn't? What was the ratio of the "plenty" that could to the "plenty" that couldn't? What is the actual number that "plenty" signifies?

Still waiting for you to support your claim that "...you don't get to choose to opt out of an employer health insurance program."

You keep responding, yet your response in no way supports your false claim. We know you've never had a private sector job, because if you had, you would know that your claim is false.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Still waiting for you to support your claim that "...you don't get to choose to opt out of an employer health insurance program."

You keep responding, yet your response in no way supports your false claim. We know you've never had a private sector job, because if you had, you would know that your claim is false.

Yes. you are correct. I got it wrong. It turns out you can turn it down

Obamacare Marketplaces On Track To Break Sign-Up Records

The Affordable Care Act health insurance marketplaces appear set to break a record for the number of Americans enrolled, for the third year in a row. More than 19 million people have signed up for the insurance plans often called Obamacare, and there are still three more weeks of enrollment, federal health officials said Wednesday. ... "Four out of five people who are shopping are ending up getting a plan on the marketplace website for $10 or less a month in premiums," Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra tells NPR. (Webber and Kelly, 12/20)

https://kffhealthnews.org/morning-breakout/obamacare-marketplaces-on-track-to-break-sign-up-records/

• Thumbs Up 1