How do you cope with jet lag when travelling ?

observer90210

Most of our distinguished posters here do taxi back and forth,  West and East.

We all know that jet lag  on the first days or week  mainly on arriving in Thailand in the local morning hours when it all starts here, and the body is still tuned to the late night deep sleep cycle back home.

Nothin more annoying then loosing a few days in Thailand until the metabolism adjusts, mainly if you time is limited here and you want to get down to "business" asap.

Before leaving, I personnaly if possible,  try to go to bed at some absurd time of the afternoon and wake up in the middle of the night, in an attempt to somewhat adjust to Thai timezone.

How do you cope with it on arriving here ?

just let is pass ? 

some other way ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

I spent quite a few years flying long-haul every couple of weeks.  E.g. UK-China, arriving at a hotel midnight and having to be up for work next morning. I found melatonin helped me adjust.  

Excellent suggestion as they do have Melatonin homeopathic  5CH doses  that put you to bed at different hours. . Great idea, never thought of it. Thank you.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

I use sleeping pills, I find that to be a magical solution for jet lag. You still get a little bit tired during the day but you get a really good night's sleep at night. Also you have to listen to the body clock, if the body's telling you it wants to sleep, you just let it sleep for a while. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I use sleeping pills, I find that to be a magical solution for jet lag. You still get a little bit tired during the day but you get a really good night's sleep at night. Also you have to listen to the body clock, if the body's telling you it wants to sleep, you just let it sleep for a while. 

I try as much as possible to book night flights (where available). And after take off I take a sleeping pill.

In my experience quickly after take off the cabin crew dim the cabin lights and then turn off the cabin lights.

It's my observation passengers like this and many get some sleep. I get a good sleep.

On the opposite timing (daytime flights), I've tried double sleeping pills etc. I never get any sleep.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

I just let it pass.

Melatonin is designed for jet lag. Never tried it.

But people make the mistake of using melatonin for long-term sleep problems, which I don't think is a good idea. 

Melatonin is NOT spedifically designed for jet lag. 

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Melatonin is NOT spedifically designed for jet lag. 

My understanding is that if taken for long periods of time, it inhibits your own body's ability to produce it.

According to some. But as in all science, there is always some debate.

I swore that from now on i will only travel business class after the very uncomfortable flight to Melbourne i had recently in economy where my tail bone hurts me like the dickens for days after the flight, no more being thrifty as i can afford travelling in comfort...

Edited by ezzra

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Nothin more annoying then loosing a few days in Thailand until the metabolism adjusts, mainly if you time is limited here and you want to get down to "business" asap.

Why would being out of sync prevent one from "getting down to business", assuming that means what I think it does?

Most things you could want are available 24/7.

Just now, JayClay said:

Why would being out of sync prevent one from "getting down to business", assuming that means what I think it does?

Most things you could want are available 24/7.

Sorry, my "business" is usually 10 to 6 pm😂..but thanks however for the suggestion.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

I try as much as possible to book night flights (where available). And after take off I take a sleeping pill.

In my experience quickly after take off the cabin crew dim the cabin lights and then turn off the cabin lights.

It's my observation passengers like this and many get some sleep. I get a good sleep.

On the opposite timing (daytime flights), I've tried double sleeping pills etc. I never get any sleep.

I try as much as possible to book night flights (where available). And after take off I take a sleeping pill.

It's my observation passengers like this and many get some sleep. I get a good sleep. All refreshed and no jet lag.

Just now, observer90210 said:

Sorry, my "business" is usually 10 to 6 pm😂..but thanks however for the suggestion.

I didn't make a suggestion. I asked a question.

If you're refusing to avail yourself of certain services in the first few days of your holiday just because that's not your perfect ideal time to be indulging, however, then you may want to re-assess your priorities.

I'm sure you'd have much more fun doing what you like doing, but at a slightly different time for the first few days, than trying (with no guarantee of success) to force your body out of jetlag. That is a suggestion ☺️