Getting used to live in a wheel chair

OneMoreFarang

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the link.

The 2 problems I would have is they are expensive, but they are custom built. I would prefer something that I could use and leave for my wife to use  (or what ever she wants to do with it) after I die.

The other and more difficult problem for me is that I don't travel well nowadays and my wife has to drive me in the pickup. It is the best part of 500 KM each way

Not so useful to your wife, as it needs ‘Disabled’ stickers and notification for it to be on the road. 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the link.

The 2 problems I would have is they are expensive, but they are custom built. I would prefer something that I could use and leave for my wife to use  (or what ever she wants to do with it) after I die.

The other and more difficult problem for me is that I don't travel well nowadays and my wife has to drive me in the pickup. It is the best part of 500 KM each way

is it appropriate to leave your wife a wheelchair when you pass? seems a bit off-putting if she does not need one now.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

is it appropriate to leave your wife a wheelchair when you pass? seems a bit off-putting if she does not need one now.

I am not wheelchair bound but I try to plan ahead.

I am 79 and I can walk around the house, up to the kitchen and to my neighbours house and back non stop but that a maximum of perhaps 100 metres. Outside of that I use a walking stick for the village and the mall. I also have a Zimmer frame with a seat which I don't use much any more.

In July I had a second black out which put me in hospital for a couple of days and the farthest I could walk was to the toilet about 3 metres.

I started some UK NHS exercises for the elderly and I now do around 2 to 3 hours a day for 5 days then have a rest day.

I have a wonky left kneecap where the cartilage is mostly worn away and my knee sometimes decides to go in a different direction to me. It is also painful when I exercise.

So far I am very lucky in the worn out bits of my body, but as I said at the beginning, I try to plan ahead.

My wife is my strong left arm and while I can go upstairs and down, on the upslope of a ramp I can go up, but coming down using my stick is not so easy. My wife positions herself in front of me and I use her right shoulder as a support.

She is now the driver as both of us are concerned that if I drive the pickup I may black out again and possibly kill someone in an accident.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:49 AM, impulse said:

Good info.  I've always done my own repair work, but I can see where, since it's not a high volume business (like gas scooters) it may be hard to find parts and expertise locally.  Several shops in Chinatown BKK work on them.

Edit:  BTW, I forgot to mention it has F-N-R and the bigger wheels make it do quite well on rough pavement (though I wouldn't call it an off road beast).

Another problem with parts is the ebike and scooter business is still really fragmented with many small manufacturers assembling them from parts sourced from a variety of overseas suppliers; mostly Chinese.   

I bought such an ebike, assembled from Chinese parts by a Bangkok distributor.  When the control module went pffftt, the distributor was no longer answering the phone and the part had no name or part number to refer to.  I ended-up giving the bike away.

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dddave said:

Another problem with parts is the ebike and scooter business is still really fragmented with many small manufacturers assembling them from parts sourced from a variety of overseas suppliers; mostly Chinese.   

I bought such an ebike, assembled from Chinese parts by a Bangkok distributor.  When the control module went pffftt, the distributor was no longer answering the phone and the part had no name or part number to refer to.  I ended-up giving the bike away.

Another good point. 

Mostly, I was pointing out an alternative to the typical indoor mobility scooters with 6" wheels that top out at a slow walking speed, don't navigate rough pavement and still have the same maintenance issues because they're not mass produced like Yamaha Finos.  Not much fun tooling down to the local watering hole at 3km/hr and getting stuck in every pothole along the way.

I'd suggest anyone needing components for a Chinese e-bike or e-scooter look around the north end of Khlong Thom market in BKK Chinatown where there's a few vendors selling parts and assembling units.  Most parts (including control units) are pretty standard.

Wheelchair tuning might be a cool way to deal with this horrible situation.

If the wheelchair is bound to be an extension of yourself for the rest of your life, you might as well turn it into something that represents you. Then you go out and you show off just like people are showing off with their tuned cars. It's always fun for others and can easily break the ice and initiate new conversations...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

If the wheelchair is bound to be an extension of yourself for the rest of your life, you might as well turn it into something that represents you. Then you go out and you show off just like people are showing off with their tuned cars. It's always fun for others and can easily break the ice and initiate new conversations...

That sounds like an interesting idea. I will keep that in mind is case I need one in 20 years or whenever. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MrPancake said:

Could contain:

that's real gold fyi

Edited by JimTripper

On 11/4/2023 at 3:49 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

DIY is never guaranteed to work properly, and one may end up alive but worse off. If it comes to that I'd go to Switzerland if able.

Doesn't need to end things right now, but since there's obviously a process of deterioration underway, it would pay to have things in place when it gets to that stage.

(It's an option I've considered as time goes on and I probably will get things into place before too much longer. I saw what happened to someone who didn't time the jumping off point right. It resulted in years of trouble and worry and at times misery for his family.) 

Sorry to hear about this guy's unfortunate position. But it sounds like he's still got a chance to continue having a good run for his money before things get too dire.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:47 AM, Mike Lister said:

My sister developed MS at age 21 and fought valiantly to stay out of the wheelchair for the next 50 years. Eventually at age 72 she lost that battle but she never lost her zest for life, her independence or her freedom. She died last month, RIP, but she was a fighter to the very end. It's not about the wheelchair, it's about the person and their strength of will and character and their determination to enjoy life and not be beaten.

After seeing what I did today in Huahin I have to agree.

I was southbound on Phetkasem Road (AH4) in downtown area. We passed a farang in an electric wheelchair rolling down the road between the curbside parked cars and the leftmost lane of the road.

Amazing, right. But even more so, his gaze was on the sidewalk shops instead of the traffic whizzing past just inches from his right shoulder.

Now that takes real stones! (and/or a fervent death wish).

Talk about waltzing in an elephant stampede. 🐘

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

After seeing what I did today in Huahin I have to agree.

I was southbound on Phetkasem Road (AH4) in downtown area. We passed a farang in an electric wheelchair rolling down the road between the curbside parked cars and the leftmost lane of the road.

Amazing, right. But even more so, his gaze was on the sidewalk shops instead of the traffic whizzing past just inches from his right shoulder.

Now that takes real stones! (and/or a fervent death wish).

Talk about waltzing in an elephant stampede. 🐘

Maybe he had Tesla autopilot installed. 😉 

On 11/4/2023 at 12:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your replies.

This is probably the only thread in the pub since year with only serious replies. Thank you.

His "environment" is not too bad. His condominium has wide enough doors, and he owns it and can modify it if he wants. The building has wheelchair access. Nearby shopping malls are modern with wheelchair access.

I think in the moment he is not happy but not suicidal. If he decides that's it then I am sure he has enough powerful medicine at home to make it happen.

I guess what many of your write the most part is his attitude. If he decides that he has to accept the wheelchair and tries to make the best out of his situation then probably it's not too bad. Currently I think he still needs to get over the fact that his medical condition won't improve unless there is some miracle. 

he might try a retirement home

On 11/4/2023 at 2:58 PM, NextG said:

Likely that his lifestyle took him in that direction; so unless he changes that, it will continue in the same vein. 
Simple example: If you have a ‘bad’ posture, then certain parts of your body will take the strain, resulting in wear and tear on certain overused points. Whereas if you are more fluid in your movements, wear is distributed more evenly. Most people are set in their ways. Then once one part begins to fail, you overcompensate, which puts wear and stress on the body… Sitting in a wheelchair removes some of the stress and strain, but then your dependent on a wheelchair. 
I see the terrible condition of so many here…

Unbelievable, talk about blame the victim.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 10:02 AM, impulse said:

I bought this for towing my kayak to the local lake, but if I ever get into a wheelchair, this is one of the first things I'd buy for mobility around the neighborhood.  48V, 20km+/hr, and goes over 10 km on a charge (never tested the range beyond 10 km- that's the distance between the dealer and my apartment in China).  Easy to get on and off and fun.  I've seen them in Thailand, a lot around Chinatown in BKK.

Kayakx3Wheeler2.thumb.jpg.135a8bf4b1f83a3d3453f16006d5a13c.jpg

Glad the guy's got resources so he can afford to modify his home and his lifestyle to suit the new reality.  I've known 2 kinds of people who took to a wheelchair.  Those who resigned themselves to their fate, and those that made the modifications to make the most of their new life.  Guess who had more fun?  Back home, there are consultants who make a living helping people modify their homes, with elevators, grab bars, wider doorways, etc.  I'd hope the same exist in Thailand.

FFS he has some money and self respect..... not going to get much bonking towing in that piece of crap... needs something with exhausts, no mufflers and a tow truck to put the ladies... that set up is getting now street cred. Not to mention probably flattened in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

FFS he has some money and self respect..... not going to get much bonking towing in that piece of crap... needs something with exhausts, no mufflers and a tow truck to put the ladies... that set up is getting now street cred. Not to mention probably flattened in Thailand.

Some people just don't know a chick magnet when they see one...