Getting used to live in a wheel chair

OneMoreFarang

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Only problem with electric scooters and tricycles if you live away from a big city is finding someone who can repair them when they need it.

They have become quite the usual sight in Isaan, so finding somebody who repairs them might not be that much of an issue even in the deepest countryside. The main problem is the charger and the battery, both easily exchanged (especially if you have enough money where you need to think about everything twice before you buy).

The biggest issue I have seen with many people having to use a wheelchair from one day to the next: right at the beginning, they loose all the will to move. This will hurt them later on a lot, because muscle loss (especially at the age of your friend) is not easily countered if you are largely immobile to begin with, and latest then he is on the slippery slope.

The more he moves around right from the start -- either in or out of the wheelchair -- the better life quality he will have in the following years. Being active also gives him a lot less time to dwell on his fate, so fighting to get back a positive attitude is maybe even more important for any life quality.

Good suggestions on what to do have been posted by others.

Edited by jts-khorat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

I would think that Biden might be in a position to help in this situation...

But seriously, kind of sad, but our youth will all be stolen by old age.

Lost a good friend lately. He had accumulated a good amount of money, that he so difficultly spent.

I remember telling him: 'Estimate the number of days you have left to live, divide your wealth by that number, and the result is what you should spend every day. If you fail to do that, your legacy will end up doing it for you.

He ended up spending a bit more, but for most people in the same situation, it appears like their objective, is that when they die, that would be the day that they would have been the richest in their life... Well, he ended up achieved that...

Beware...

no way to do that. nobody knows how many days they have left and what future expenses are.

Edited by JimTripper

i can't blame the guy. i would not want to be in pattaya in a wheelchair either. i would probably just end up sitting in my room and drinking at bars nearby. the reason being, that's the main attraction of the area.

Edited by JimTripper

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

image.jpeg.867b08cbf3bb665802ec04398b1f3309.jpeg

I still remember an interview Jaggar gave in which he said he couldn't imagine being in a band after about 40 or something like that. If I remember correctly he was even a bit derogatory about old rockers.

They must be about the only long existing band that kept making the same sort of music while making it relevant to the decade.

Even Fleetwood Mac, the best long existing band EVER, went through different phases and members ( yes I haven't forgotten the unwanted Stone, but that was almost at the start ). The early music when Peter Green was in the band was completely different to when the females joined, though it actually got better then.

Re my Jagger comment................................

PS

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a19125/mick-jagger-70th-birthday/

It was all the way back in 1975 when Mick Jagger famously told People magazine, "I'd rather be dead than sing 'Satisfaction' when I'm 45," so with his 70th birthday today and a Stones tour that wrapped just a couple of weeks ago where "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" was most definitely on the set list, he's still breaking that promise a full 25 years after that original cutoff date.

Re my Jagger comment................................

PS

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a19125/mick-jagger-70th-birthday/

It was all the way back in 1975 when Mick Jagger famously told People magazine, "I'd rather be dead than sing 'Satisfaction' when I'm 45," so with his 70th birthday today and a Stones tour that wrapped just a couple of weeks ago where "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" was most definitely on the set list, he's still breaking that promise a full 25 years after that original cutoff date.

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

no way to do that. nobody knows how many days they have left and what future expenses are.

Just give it a try... Maybe you can at least get close to an ideal.

Just like, if you put aside $500,000 for eventual medical expenses.

Some $50,000, in case you get hungry.

Some $50,000, in case your dwelling needs repairs.

And if you still have on million dollars left, do you really think it is better to die with it, or try to enjoy it while you are still alive.

Many people choose to die with it...

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

i can't blame the guy. i would not want to be in pattaya in a wheelchair either. i would probably just end up sitting in my room and drinking at bars nearby. the reason being, that's the main attraction of the area.

That would the main attraction for you 😊

I have no interest in visiting them at all. 

Edited by NextG
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

it's not just being alive, it's still being creative and able to perform live concerts, same with Paul McCartney.

IIRC, apart from making money the other reason was to pull chicks. They are still making lots of money, I doubt they get as many freebies.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Get him swimming if you can.

I meant to add I used a swimming 'Noodle' lots of ways to use that to strengthen muscles, bend in a U shape push down with a foot and arms, round the back of the neck and under the arms, sit there like an armchair kick the legs if possible.

s-l1200.jpg.15f7d40232e8fa654da7b61a2d88f46f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Paul McCartney is worth $800 million and Jagger $500 million, so I doubt making money is the reason for still performing. I imagine they love what they do and that's the driving force.

Depends on what their outgoings are, apparently Elton John is nearly broke with his extravagance. Having said that, point taken.

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

What impressed me about Pattaya when i first came was the number of guys who were able to get around in wheelchairs and enter bars/a gogos and still have a good time. Back in the UK you would be a social pariah in that position.

Were those Pattaya go go bars like a USA drive in movie 

Summer nights: the US drive-in cinemas still packing 'em in | United States  holidays | The Guardian

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Depends on what their outgoings are, apparently Elton John is nearly broke with his extravagance. Having said that, point taken.

I'd love to be as nearly broke as Elton with a net worth of $650 million.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

Just give it a try... Maybe you can at least get close to an ideal.

Just like, if you put aside $500,000 for eventual medical expenses.

Some $50,000, in case you get hungry.

Some $50,000, in case your dwelling needs repairs.

And if you still have on million dollars left, do you really think it is better to die with it, or try to enjoy it while you are still alive.

Many people choose to die with it...

many people find it comforting that they won't run out of money. if you spend it down that security cushion and piece of mind evaporates.