Getting used to live in a wheel chair

OneMoreFarang

52 minutes ago, giddyup said:

it's not just being alive, it's still being creative and able to perform live concerts, same with Paul McCartney.

Who does look a bit silly with bleached blond hair on the Now & Than video.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe against his religion.

It is possible to change your religion. Pleant of people including Cat Stevens to Islam, and was it Tony Blair Protestant to Catholic. 

I am considering Rastafarianism!

On 11/4/2023 at 10:07 AM, QuantumQuandry said:

There is a psychology theory of a set-point to happiness, though I think it may vary, depending on the life event.

This is work we need to do every day, just like we try to keep our muscle mass and metabolism intact to support and extend our physical health. Just like these things can be reset, so too can our optimism.

We can up our resilience and equanimity via meditation, self-help or whatever works for us. Work done on this now will be money in the bank later when we hit a late age disaster. These qualities will support our happiness and diminish our misery.

As to the rest of it, it's a reminder: if you want a guarantee in this life, buy a toaster.

5 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

This is work we need to do every day, just like we try to keep our muscle mass and metabolism intact to support and extend our physical health. Just like these things can be reset, so too can our optimism.

We can up our resilience and equanimity via meditation, self-help or whatever works for us. Work done on this now will be money in the bank later when we hit a late age disaster. These qualities will support our happiness and diminish our misery.

As to the rest of it, it's a reminder: if you want a guarantee in this life, buy a toaster.

The muscle mass thing is a red herring…

17 minutes ago, NextG said:

The muscle mass thing is a red herring…

Interestingly, I was reading today about how for older weight lifters, 2 sessions a week does MORE for you than 3 sessions a week, due to the deeper rest that spurs on greater muscle growth between sessions.

2 sessions a week gets you 25% more muscle improvement than if you lifted 3 times a week.

Going a little (not a lot) harder during those two sessions and resting 2 minutes between sets also amps up the improvement. So much of the well-intentioned self-help advice we get also includes a useless dose of self-punishment.

https://us.humankinetics.com/blogs/excerpt/training-frequency-requirements-for-older-adults

I don't want to take this useful thread off-topic. My boring point is that any work at all we do now is helpful for later decline.

I read in Billy Idol's autobiography that had he not been weight training, he would have never walked again after his motorcycle accident. Whereas I saw him live (with a cane) 9 months after it.

Edited by Prubangboy

16 hours ago, Denim said:

They were a very usual sight here in lower Petchabun until a few months ago but they are gradually becoming fewer since the one guy who could fix them moved away. For those that have a pick up truck they can load it aboard and drive to wherever it can be repaired in the provincial capitol. Without a means to get it to where it can be repaired .....you are stuffed. Worth pointing out that those three wheelers are usually very heavy on account of the batteries.

If you have a pickup and enough spare money, would it be possible to get a electric winch built onto the pickup bed with perhaps a SWL of 300 kg or so?

An alternative vehicle might be a minibus with the rear row of seats removed..

The biggest problem I have seen for people with a wheelchair is the arrogant self entitled people who park in the spots reserved for disabled people.

In the UK my first FIL had an artificial leg from when he was 4 years old. He could drive and when people parked illegally in a disabled spot he would park as close to them as he could and block them in.

It may be too dangerous to do that it Thailand though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

If he has the coin !

https://www.mobility.fun/offroad-wheelchair

image.png.87f3fa3b3edc6aba04bbde3240a09355.png

What a brilliant piece of kit. I wonder what the range is like, size and weight, plus the dimensions etc,

Here is a link to the brochure though it does not seem too informative,

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59535cc978d171b8a62791bd/t/59fac47fc8302592d85b5ec8/1509606547856/leaflet+Offroad-Wheelchair.pdf

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you have a pickup and enough spare money, would it be possible to get a electric winch built onto the pickup bed with perhaps a SWL of 300 kg or so?

That might work for those with a pick up.

Fortunately, my wife's scooter folds down and will just about fit in the boot of our Vios. We will get it repaired when we are next in Bangkok in December then give it to one of the grandchildren there.

I won't  buy another one but will get my wife a little Honda Giorno ( old style from Japan )to get around the village.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

That might work for those with a pick up.

Fortunately, my wife's scooter folds down and will just about fit in the boot of our Vios. We will get it repaired when we are next in Bangkok in December then give it to one of the grandchildren there.

I won't  buy another one but will get my wife a little Honda Giorno ( old style from Japan )to get around the village.

If it comes to it for me I would like to get a battery trike with hopefully at least a 60 km range which would easily get me/her into the local big village or the Amphur which is about 20 km away and more importantly, back home again.

It would be easy to park under the balcony for charging and access.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Why does it have to be electric? Aren’t there three wheeled motorcycles with a far greater range?

Quite possibly but electric scooters are cheaper to run.

The also have easier access. and are better for the environment

Do you have links to any sites for 3 wheel motorbikes with models and prices. 

If so put them on the thread.

Just now, billd766 said:

No I don’t. But I can find them if someone expresses an interest. Or are you just irritated and trying to get back at me in your own head?

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I remember there being a place that did the mods; perhaps on Thepprasit. 
https://www.ozimoto.com/

Okay grumpysocks 🧦? 😊

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Thank you for the link.

The 2 problems I would have is they are expensive, but they are custom built. I would prefer something that I could use and leave for my wife to use  (or what ever she wants to do with it) after I die.

The other and more difficult problem for me is that I don't travel well nowadays and my wife has to drive me in the pickup. It is the best part of 500 KM each way

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the link.

The 2 problems I would have is they are expensive, but they are custom built. I would prefer something that I could use and leave for my wife to use  (or what ever she wants to do with it) after I die.

The other and more difficult problem for me is that I don't travel well nowadays and my wife has to drive me in the pickup. It is the best part of 500 KM each way

They were in Pattaya, but it seems they might have closed that outlet. Best to enquire if interested.