Getting used to live in a wheel chair

OneMoreFarang

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why go to Switzerland? There are plenty of similar ways-out here in Thailand. 

Please enlighten me....maybe by PM. I have easy Alzheimer's and the outlook isn't that good. I might be looking for somewhere in the next few years.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In a country with laws mandating wheelchair access to public buildings a wheelchair is not an obstacle to enjoying life. I know that as a fact.

Thailand has no laws mandating wheelchair access to pavements, never mind public buildings.

There are rules, many times not followed or enforced.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would head to jomtein if i were in a wheelchair. the streets and sidewalks are pretty accessible along with eateries etc compared to other areas.

there was a guy in a wherlchair living near me when i stayed at the view talay down there.

people mentioned other areas. berkeley, california in the usa is likely the best place you could be for disabled living. very progressive and hugely popular with the disabled. university of california berkeley there also. not really cheap, though.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

he feels alone and doesn't go out anymore

If he has a 2 bedroom unit, hire a older live-in helper,  for cleaning and cooking, and social interaxtion. Strictly excluding sex.

Ladies are easily available also online for house call.

everybody asks him what happened and when we will get out of that wheelchair again.

Asians are extremely curious, so not much he can do with that. Other than reply with another topic.

Will it be possible for the guy in the wheelchair still to enjoy life? Or is that about it?

Is he a half-empty or a half-full glass of type?

Working brain and lots of money, he have a lot (more than others) to be grateful for.

Declining health are often followed by severe depression. Medication are the norm here, rather than treatment, sadly.

A family member was in similar situation, and was mostly depressed unless we got him out of the house. Then life was ok again.

I would start with finding him a live-in helper.