New ATM fee???

I recently got back to LOS… I access my spending money from ATM’s with my Schwab debit card… I usually use the Krungsri (yellow) bank, as you can get 30K a pop.. Well while I used it yesterday, I got the normal 220B fee… No issue there, but then it comes up and say a 5% exchange rate “markup” was applied.. this drop my exchange rate down 2 full baht.. Is this some new money grab by all banks or just Yellow bank?? My next move is to try Bangkok Bank as they allow 25K a pop.. Let’s hope they aren’t doing the same thing… Any info would be appreciated !!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

TTB allows 30k at a time - it's on the quick withdrawals list on the first screen that comes up after entering your PIN, and don't charge any extra, besides the B220 fee.  They ask if you want to use their exchange rate, which is a poor one, or not.  Always choose "not".

Not to be stupid, but which bank is TTB?? Color or easy way to find them… Thanks!

19 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Can you please explain how that works especially WRT BKK?

Open the app on your phone, select "Cardless ATM" and login.  Choose a pre-selected amount to withdraw or enter a custom amount.  You then have an hour to find a BBL ATM.

At the ATM select "Cardless Withdrawal" then Bangkok Bank.  It'll dislay a QR code and the app will prompt you to scan this code.  Your cash will then be dispensed.

Choose an indoor ATM if possible as the sun on the screen can make reading the QR code difficult.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, treetops said:

Open the app on your phone, select "Cardless ATM" and login.  Choose a pre-selected amount to withdraw or enter a custom amount.  You then have an hour to find a BBL ATM.

At the ATM select "Cardless Withdrawal" then Bangkok Bank.  It'll dislay a QR code and the app will prompt you to scan this code.  Your cash will then be dispensed.

Choose an indoor ATM if possible as the sun on the screen can make reading the QR code difficult.

Treetops

Do most of the banks offer same facility  ??  Am paranoid over ATM usage with my SCB debit card in fact I wont use it

Peace of mind walking to Bank branch in 5 minutes to take 30k out a time

What about the 220 fee itself ??  Still applies I assume ??

59 minutes ago, treetops said:

I only use the BBL version, but I've certainly seen other banks mentioned on here that offer it.

Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and SCB that I use (don't know the whole list).

Kasikorn has the easiest/most convenient procedure, followed by Bangkok Bank. SCB is a bit annoying having to enter your registered phone number AND the code sent.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

Treetops

Do most of the banks offer same facility  ??  Am paranoid over ATM usage with my SCB debit card in fact I wont use it

Peace of mind walking to Bank branch in 5 minutes to take 30k out a time

What about the 220 fee itself ??  Still applies I assume ??

you can cancel your debit card and do everything (QR code payments, ATM withdrawals) from the phone app. It will save you the 300 or so baht yearly debit card fee. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Everyman said:

you can cancel your debit card and do everything (QR code payments, ATM withdrawals) from the phone app. It will save you the 300 or so baht yearly debit card fee. 

Yeah am not quite sure I'm that poor to save 300 lol

I'm happy to use it in hotel check ins but will never use outright in an ATM

I had a look at SCB and yes they do have same facility on the app.   just something thats sailed past me without ever realising so fair play to the thread indeed

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Everyman said:

300 baht is worth it to have the physical card as backup in case of QR system being temporarily offline. Saved my bacon the other Saturday night at the rubba because BBL decided to take the online payment system offline at 12:20am in the morning.

• Haha 1