Private road toll

AustinRacing

Sometime ago a publicly accessible road near my home set up a toll booth charging 10฿. Today somewhere in bkk (not sure exact location) while weaving through a fairly narrow road off a major road saw a banner over the road asking for a fee to pass and a guy with a bucket collecting 5฿ from every vehicle. 
It appears that some publicly accessible roads are privately owned. Is it possible? 

Or is it a private arrangement between some local authority and private businesses to scam people?

There are plenty around. 

It not uncommon for some older moo-bans which have convenient thoroughfare to charge no-residents for passage. 

There is on near me... 20 Baht for cars... 10 Baht for motorcycles... we use it most days.

Years ago there used to be a car-park between Sukhumvit 24 and 26 (near what used to be Taurus night club - an old haunt)...  It was 5 Baht to cut between the Soi's.

Edited by richard_smith237

38 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not sure but I seem to remember the Thai Tobacco Company has a private road through their Huge area of land, I seem to remember a M/C taxi cutting through there, don't know if there was a toll, but he sure didn't pay one.

Sometimes they did ask.. and if so when only my wife (Asian) and kids (Asian looking) were in the taxi, the army guard waves them though, when I -farang- was also in the car.. 20THB

Edited by NicoBKK
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not sure but I seem to remember the Thai Tobacco Company has a private road through their Huge area of land, I seem to remember a M/C taxi cutting through there, don't know if there was a toll, but he sure didn't pay one.

they used to have a sticker you stick on the windshield that let you go through without paying