A quick retirement extension question please

Hi to all. Jutst a quick question if you don't mind.  I came to Thailand in early September without a visa and got 1 month permission to stay. Then I went to the Jomtien Immigration to apply for a retirement extension. I provided the whole pack of required docs which were accepted and I was told this is done in 2 steps. First step is,  I got an extension to stay until the 17 of December and I was told to go and apply for the 2nd step before that extension expires. As it was not made very clear to me at the time and I did not ask (my mistake) how soon before this 17 Dec date  can I go back to apply for the full year ?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Barry

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

did you stick 800k baht in the back in October ?  Money needs to be seasoned for 2 months, I think.

If not, stick 800k in the bank, now, and if not long enough for IO, may extend you another 30 or 60 days, till it meets his or her desired time.

Money's been there for a long time

• Thumbs Up 2

First you apply for a visa which, when approved, gives you a 90-day permission to stay. This was done by applying with form TM87. It is initially taken under consideration with a report back date. Towards the end of the 90 days, you then apply for a one-year extension of the permission to stay using form TM7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

First you apply for a visa which, when approved, gives you a 90-day permission to stay. This was done by applying with form TM87. It is initially taken under consideration with a report back date. Towards the end of the 90 days, you then apply for a one-year extension of the permission to stay using form TM7.

Thanks. My question is how early can I apply, before the end of the 90 days, as I have to make a trip back to the UK in the next few weeks and I wanted to sort this out first.

23 minutes ago, Barry864 said:

Thanks. My question is how early can I apply, before the end of the 90 days, as I have to make a trip back to the UK in the next few weeks and I wanted to sort this out first.

24 minutes ago, Barry864 said:

30 Days at Jomtien.

An agent can do it 60 days before.

• Like 1

If anyone knows...If one morning you go and apply for the yearly extension in Jomtien when do you get the stamp and the passport back ? I remember in the previous years it used to be in the afternoon of the same day but lately I believe they ask you to come after a couple of days to collect it.

1 hour ago, Barry864 said:

If anyone knows...If one morning you go and apply for the yearly extension in Jomtien when do you get the stamp and the passport back ? I remember in the previous years it used to be in the afternoon of the same day but lately I believe they ask you to come after a couple of days to collect it.

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

That depends on the Immigration office. I think Jomtien accepts applications for a one-year extension up to 30 days before the expiry of your current permission to stay (with the actual stamp in your passport that day or the following day). They might agree to do it earlier if you can provide proof that your overseas trip is for an essential purpose.

Just now, charleskerins said:
26 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

OP, please do not forget to get the re-entry stamp (single or multiple) before you leave Thailand, or all will be in vain, and your retirement visa will lapse and you will have to go through the entire procedure again....

800,000 only needs to be in there for 2 months if you already have 1 year retirement for renewal?

7 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

800,000 only needs to be in there for 2 months if you already have 1 year retirement for renewal?

For a first one-year extension from a 90-day permission to stay from a visa, the funds only need to be in the bank for two months. To qualify for a one-year extension based on retirement after that, you need to have had 800,000 baht in the bank for three months after your last extension was granted and for two months before the the new application, and 400,000 baht in the bank for the remainder of the previous 12 months. There are alternatives based on income but, again, those need proof of income covering the entire prior 12 months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

For a first one-year extension from a 90-day permission to stay from a visa, the funds only need to be in the bank for two months. To qualify for a one-year extension based on retirement after that, you need to have had 800,000 baht in the bank for three months after your last extension was granted and for two months before the the new application, and 400,000 baht in the bank for the remainder of the previous 12 months. There are alternatives based on income but, again, those need proof of income covering the entire prior 12 months.

So I am here one month into 1 year retirement ,I should already have 400k Baht in bank?   Damn        thanks for the info

2 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

So I am here one month into 1 year retirement ,I should already have 400k Baht in bank?   Damn        thanks for the info

No, if you are now one month after renewal, you should have 800k and if indeed you have gone below 800k within 3 months after your new extension was granted. then you are going to have problems at next renewal, as they look at your bank records going back to your renewal date.

See the post you replied too. It gives the months and amounts.

3 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

No, if you are now one month after renewal, you should have 800k and if indeed you have gone below 800k within 3 months after your new extension was granted. then you are going to have problems at next renewal, as they look at your bank records going back to your renewal date.

See the post you replied too. It gives the months and amounts.

New extension?  Do not understand

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

You read but did not comprehend the post you replied to?

"you need to have had 800,000 baht in the bank for three months after your last extension was granted and for two months before the the new application, and 400,000 baht in the bank for the remainder of the previous 12 months".

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You read but did not comprehend the post you replied to?

"you need to have had 800,000 baht in the bank for three months after your last extension was granted and for two months before the the new application, and 400,000 baht in the bank for the remainder of the previous 12 months".

32 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

correct ,hence the question.     

How did you obtain a one year extension of stay for retirement?  Use of an agent?  Income letter from Embassy?  Income proof for previous 12 months?  800k in bank for 2 months?  A combination of income and bank deposit?

If using income you continue to use - there is no requirement for any set amount in a bank account.  If using 800k bank deposit it has to remain in account 3 months than can go to 400k and back to 800k 2 months prior to next yearly extension as posted above.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

How did you obtain a one year extension of stay for retirement?  Use of an agent?  Income letter from Embassy?  Income proof for previous 12 months?  800k in bank for 2 months?  A combination of income and bank deposit?

If using income you continue to use - there is no requirement for any set amount in a bank account.  If using 800k bank deposit it has to remain in account 3 months than can go to 400k and back to 800k 2 months prior to next yearly extension as posted above.

agent    

On 11/10/2023 at 5:50 AM, Barry864 said:

As it was not made very clear to me at the time and I did not ask (my mistake) how soon before this 17 Dec date  can I go back to apply for the full year ?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Normally two weeks before your permitted stay expires. At that time you your 800k baht bank deposit needs to be mature for two months.

8 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Normally two weeks before your permitted stay expires. At that time you your 800k baht bank deposit needs to be mature for two months.

Actually believe up to 30 days before is normal, with some, such as Bangkok, allowing 45 days prior to expiration.  You lose nothing by doing early (unlike for 90 day reports) as the one year extensions will start from current expiration date. 

Edited by lopburi3