Japanese Tourist Pickpocketed in Pattaya

snoop1130

On 11/10/2023 at 4:58 PM, AhFarangJa said:

Because the liberal leftie brigade insist that 98% of the population bow to the whims of the remaining 2% who might get offended, God forbid.

Actually it's only backward haters that have a problem with them being called transgender. That's what they are. Keep drinking that wingnut Kool-Aid. If you have a problem with transgenders, why are you even here. ? Keep your Western prejudices at home. It's not appreciated in Thailand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Actually it's only backward haters that have a problem with them being called transgender. That's what they are. Keep drinking that wingnut Kool-Aid. If you have a problem with transgenders, why are you even here. ? Keep your Western prejudices at home. It's not appreciated in Thailand. 

Not your call but thank you for your opinion. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spermwhale said:

What the F*** are you on about???????? I suggest you get off that wacky backy, or whatever it is you are taking. I never mention in my post that I have a problem with homosexuals. I was referring to the fact that some people, obviously like your good self, that get offended by certain references to how they are named. If in the future you are going to slam a post then I suggest you have the decency to also include the original post that was being answered. Moron.  

13 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Actually it is not accepted by all in Thailand.

“ Buddhism mentions kathoeys as the third gender, but that doesn’t stop monks from telling ladyboys who they should be. ‘We can’t change them all’ said one monk in the interview for The Telegraph‘but we can control their behaviour and show them that they were born men and not women’. Some monasteries offer special programmes, where parents can enrol their kids and where the young ones are taught how to be men again.

Kathoeys are treated as second class citizens in Thailand. They are not bullied, but their role is mainly to entertain others. They can be stylists, make up artists, dancers in one of the cabarets, but getting a well paid job

might prove very difficult”

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Voodoochile said:

You mean me and the vast majority of humanity.

Look, for some people it is not easy to keep pace with the speed of development in any respect of life as science, medicine, technology. And now even accelerating wars. It is disturbing and troublesome. And when you get older, watch yourself, you would need a lot of energy and mental fitness to follow. Therefore, I think, take it easy. Not everybody could be a second Einstein. And I suppose you never wanted or even tried it. Go on with your life and have a drink on me and enjoy the last years of life in peace. Good luck

1 hour ago, Voodoochile said:

“ Buddhism mentions kathoeys as the third gender, but that doesn’t stop monks from telling ladyboys who they should be. ‘We can’t change them all’ said one monk in the interview for The Telegraph‘but we can control their behaviour and show them that they were born men and not women’. Some monasteries offer special programmes, where parents can enrol their kids and where the young ones are taught how to be men again.

Kathoeys are treated as second class citizens in Thailand. They are not bullied, but their role is mainly to entertain others. They can be stylists, make up artists, dancers in one of the cabarets, but getting a well paid job

You’re completely wrong. Transgenderism is largely accepted in Thailand; I see transgender people every day, working in a variety of jobs. You’re simply blind to it, based on your own preconceived bias. And of course some monks and others (like yourself) will have a reactionary attitude, but that’s to be expected.

I have not heard of the “special programs” you mention intended to “teach young ones how to be men again,” but if such places exist (I have no clue who your source is), they sound much like the “conversion therapy” programs that used to operate in the US, intended to force gay men into being straight. Such programs, whether for gay people or trans people, mostly just lead to chronic depression and often suicide. Not only does it not work; the whole idea is preposterous. How can you change someone’s nature, and why would you even want to?

As for your statement about trans women that “their role is mainly to entertain others. They can be stylists, make up artists, dancers in one of the cabarets,” this reminds me of similar stereotyping of other groups, for instance that one group in particular is only good at “singing and dancing.” This is simply disgusting.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

You’re completely wrong. Transgenderism is largely accepted in Thailand; I see transgender people every day, working in a variety of jobs. You’re simply blind to it, based on your own preconceived bias. And of course some monks and others (like yourself) will have a reactionary attitude, but that’s to be expected.

I have not heard of the “special programs” you mention intended to “teach young ones how to be men again,” but if such places exist (I have no clue who your source is), they sound much like the “conversion therapy” programs that used to operate in the US, intended to force gay men into being straight. Such programs, whether for gay people or trans people, mostly just lead to chronic depression and often suicide. Not only does it not work; the whole idea is preposterous. How can you change someone’s nature, and why would you even want to?

As for your statement about trans women that “their role is mainly to entertain others. They can be stylists, make up artists, dancers in one of the cabarets,” this reminds me of similar stereotyping of other groups, for instance that one group in particular is only good at “singing and dancing.” This is simply disgusting.

“Disgusting” or not it’s a fact.

i guess ones ass only see’s what ones ass wants to see💁🏼‍♂️

Enjoy 😉 

https://www.transadvocate.com/buddhist-bigots-buddhism-and-trans-folk_n_9904.htm

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/12/16/thailand-transgender-people-denied-equal-rights

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/rights-group-says-protection-for-transgender-thais-lacking/

https://www.aidsdatahub.org/resource/stories-stigma-exploring-stigma-and-discrimination-against-thai-transgender-people-while

On 11/11/2023 at 10:33 AM, newbee2022 said:

Well, I supposed you can read and hopefully understand? Your reply is actually what it means when speaking about Old White Men. Times have changed. As a matter of respect, we should use the right terms. Also, to avoid discrimination.  I admit for the older generation it might be not easy but exactly here respect will start. I do not demand anything, but expect respect to divers groups in our society.

Btw, I really don't understand your harsh reaction? I realized since a long time already that not having the same opinion make others as enemies. The diction is like this. :sad: Is this necessary?

I feel that it is extremely disrespectful of all Americans to call me Caucasian. As anybody coming from a country with a decent school education knows, Caucasus is a mountain range in the northern Iran. A'M NOT IRANIAN..... !!!!!! I'm white (or pinkish) European. Show me the respect ya'll Septics...

This OP was posted last Friday and I have only just found out late Tuesday evening?

Not sure what is worse....the pickpocketing or my failing to keep up.

A 5 page thread?....Covid didn't generate this much crap.

Think I need a relaxing massage or to simply sign out tonight.🙃🙃

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Look, for some people it is not easy to keep pace with the speed of development in any respect of life as science, medicine, technology. And now even accelerating wars. It is disturbing and troublesome. And when you get older, watch yourself, you would need a lot of energy and mental fitness to follow. Therefore, I think, take it easy. Not everybody could be a second Einstein. And I suppose you never wanted or even tried it. Go on with your life and have a drink on me and enjoy the last years of life in peace. Good luck

What “last years” I am 43?

and how is one supposed to enjoy life when surrounded by the madness and decadence that western societies promote?

no thank you I will never accept this madness and would rather die then consider madness as a new norm.

15 hours ago, Voodoochile said:

YOu're stereotyping. and you're completely wrong. I interviewed the former Minister of Commeerce under Yingluck and his top aide was a katoey who had been educated at an Ivy League school. My kids dentist is a katoey. I worked at the Nation Newspaper with multiple katoeys who were writing news, and one of my friends is a metals trader and earns more cash than most farangs in Thailand. So yeah, you're stereotyping. I know another who has made her millions in the fashion industry. You only know what you think you know. 

Edited by spermwhale

8 hours ago, spermwhale said:

YOu're stereotyping. and you're completely wrong. I interviewed the former Minister of Commeerce under Yingluck and his top aide was a katoey who had been educated at an Ivy League school. My kids dentist is a katoey. I worked at the Nation Newspaper with multiple katoeys who were writing news, and one of my friends is a metals trader and earns more cash than most farangs in Thailand. So yeah, you're stereotyping. I know another who has made her millions in the fashion industry. You only know what you think you know. 

Yes there are exceptions but they are not considered normal by all Thais and are still discriminated against by many. 

check out the links I sent above to another member💁🏼‍♂️💁🏼‍♂️

What was this post about? Oh yes, pickpocketing.

So far only once has anyone tried here in Thailand. A woman sat next to me on a night bus. I had the window seat and I guess she thought I was asleep. I felt her hand slip down into my front pocket. I didn't move just to see how far she would go. She quickly removed her hand, got up and moved to another seat. As Red Skelton said, if she had reached deeper she would have felt real nuts.

On 11/11/2023 at 3:23 PM, Balance said:

It is my understanding that Tourists can't open bank accounts in Thailand.  If that is true, the only option is to leave it in the hotel safe where he is staying. I am not sure that hotels will accept the risk, but it probably depends on the class of the hotel.  

You don't need a Thai bank account to use an ATM.

Where do you think all that tourist money comes from?

They don't bring it over in sacks, they go to one the many ATMs that are found almost everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:24 PM, Voodoochile said:

"their role is mainly to entertain others. They can be stylists, make up artists, dancers in one of the cabarets"

That sounds like the available roles in the west.

You encounter them in all kinds of jobs in Thailand, not just in entertainment.

10 hours ago, cdemundo said:

You don't need a Thai bank account to use an ATM.

Where do you think all that tourist money comes from?

They don't bring it over in sacks, they go to one the many ATMs that are found almost everywhere.

It's a choice, but at a cost. Every single transaction is subjected to a 220 baht surcharge, and the exchange rate is usually a few % less than you would get at TT exchange. Not sure all nations ATM cards work so well in Thailand too... do Russian ones? A bit late to find out when you get here. 

Edited by jacko45k

58 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It's a choice, but at a cost. Every single transaction is subjected to a 220 baht surcharge, and the exchange rate is usually a few % less than you would get at TT exchange. Not sure all nations ATM cards work so well in Thailand too... do Russian ones? A bit late to find out when you get here. 

AS has been posted many times here, Charles Schwab ATM cards refund all ATM fees monthly.

I Have found the exchange rate to be competitive, it's the VISA rate.

I don't know all nations but I know that US, UK and Australian banks ATM cards work.

Don't care about Russians, sorry, not sorry.

46 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

AS has been posted many times here, Charles Schwab ATM cards refund all ATM fees monthly.

I Have found the exchange rate to be competitive, it's the VISA rate.

I don't know all nations but I know that US, UK and Australian banks ATM cards work.

Don't care about Russians, sorry, not sorry.

Never heard of them.. do they have a branch in Moscow? These are the common tourists in Phuket...what you care about is not the topic.

I did use a UK ATM card a few days ago... 42 baht/£, nearby at TT, it was 44, plus the 220 baht local surcharge. 

I cant believe people keep bringing up Shwab accounts... the guy was Japanese! 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2023 at 4:15 AM, Donbuie3 said:

Quite right. No need to play the left WOKE agenda and give it legitimacy. There are only 2 sexes, with the exception perhaps of obscure, medical, rarities, who don’t appear to be parading around dressed in all the colours of the rainbow!

I'm one of those 'lefty liberals', but more old school liberal than the new version. You say there are only 2 sexes, and apart from true hermaphrodites, that is true. Two X chromosomes denote female and a Y denotes male. In the brain, of course, which is the most complex organ of any creature on this planet, things do not always develop properly, owing to a host of factors from environmental to a mother's actions during pregnancy. Some people have preferences or self images that differ from what is the majority preference or self-image. That is through no fault of their own, and since it is not you, nor any of your concern, it shouldn't bother you. Since it is not their fault, no one can condemn them, and they deserve the same respect as other innocent people.

Of course we all have our own peccadilloes. I have a---perhaps irrational---contempt for fat and obesity. Despite a neo-liberal view that it is 'beautiful', I don't see it that way. I am not 'body positive', and I believe it is high time that 'fat shaming' become the norm, because it costs society and all in it far too much. Costs of fat are plopped on to the fit, via higher hospital costs and insurance where companies use actuarial tables and assume a certain % of obesity for all.

To me, fat is evidence of a lack of self discipline and self control, plus laziness. I am not talking of those with a disability, as in that case there is a no fault condition. I'm talking about otherwise healthy people whose obesity is solely of their own actions. They eat too much, drink too much, don't exercise, and ignore the ever-increasing girth.

Ironically, it is my experience that the people who are so 'offended' by people who now have a letter of the alphabet to denote their tendency, are fat. Obese. Blubberbutt. Land whales. Yes, the far right, non-liberals tend toward obesity. I look at far right political rallies in the US, and excess adipose tissue is the norm, just like their messiah. Butterballs.

I'd be willing to bet that those on this thread so outraged about the terms some with those alphabet designations have are fat. 100+cm bloated bellies. Spare tires that Airbus might seconder for use on an A380.

I happen to be 100% hetero and absolutely delighted to be in my male body, of which I take good care. I did not ask for either my preference or self-image, just as those who might have different preferences or self-images did not ask for theirs.

Folks here ranting about labels of Q or T or whatever: go look in the mirror. You're bloated, right? Shirt is untucked in the hope of covering the abomination, yes?

And bloated is a choice, while Q or L or T is not.

Funny, that.

Edited by Walker88

41 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Never heard of them.. do they have a branch in Moscow? These are the common tourists in Phuket...what you care about is not the topic.

I did use a UK ATM card a few days ago... 42 baht/£, nearby at TT, it was 44, plus the 220 baht local surcharge. 

I cant believe people keep bringing up Shwab accounts... the guy was Japanese! 

If you remember the post that I replied to was if you don't have a Thai bank account you have no choice but to carry cash.

So you also disagree since you use your UK ATM card.

Nice to find common ground, so many here just want to have the last word, and that is so petty.